Clarke committed to Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke committed to Scotland

kumnio

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Job for life in my book.

Players love him, has created a team spirit, got the 23 year old monkey off of our backs, doesnt pander to the old firm / media, caps players on ability rather rather than what club crest they wear.

I could go on and on and on and on. 

I think he deserves another crack at it however he needs to learn from his mistakes pretty quickly.  Qualifying papered over the cracks that we've not really seen much of an improvement since he took over from McLeish and his records is pretty poor overall.  Hopefully the experience has galvanised the squad and we can see an improvement from here.

His record is absolutely pish. 

He’s got better players than any manager since Craig Brown in the mid 90’s and we get outplayed and/or horsed by teams like Israel very regularly.

He needs to get the youth, who are the best options in their position anyway, into the side ASAP & if he does so then atleast we will go into the next round of games with a little bit more hope and positivity than just now.

It was great to qualify, we qualified because the nations league presented us with a very simple route, not because we have a good manager who took us there. 

Since Craig Brown left, only Berti Vogts and Craig Burley have a lower win rate, that’s some progress under him….

I can’t mind if I moaned about it on here, or just on WhatsApp, but the last set of qualifiers with Austria, Israel and the Faroes are the lowest I’ve been in a decade, his absolute unwillingness to try and win games is pathetic.

I get the impression that he would settle for a point in every single game, we are simply dreadful to watch, and we don’t even have a solid defence to fall back on. 

The players love him and he is clearly a very astute man manager.

His job is in no danger whatsoever. 

He did however make some errors in the Euros that I hope he doesn’t make again.

Team selection and failure to adjust in both the first and third games. 

Lot of room for improvement with performances, off the pitch he’s been tremendous.

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

His record is absolutely pish. 

He’s got better players than any manager since Craig Brown in the mid 90’s and we get outplayed and/or horsed by teams like Israel very regularly.

He needs to get the youth, who are the best options in their position anyway, into the side ASAP & if he does so then atleast we will go into the next round of games with a little bit more hope and positivity than just now.

It was great to qualify, we qualified because the nations league presented us with a very simple route, not because we have a good manager who took us there. 

He's got a worse record than Strachan or Levein.

He managed two draws and two penalty shoot out wins to get us to the Euro's via a route that only contained teams of a similar ability to us.

He couldn't get a win against Slovakia or Israel to almost guarantee us a world cup play off spot.

And he keeps picking McBurnie (that ones for you Proud Scot)

10 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

The players love him and he is clearly a very astute man manager.

His job is in no danger whatsoever. 

He did however make some errors in the Euros that I hope he doesn’t make again.

Team selection and failure to adjust in both the first and third games. 

Lot of room for improvement with performances, off the pitch he’s been tremendous.

How many times have you heard "the players really love him" line regarding other managers?

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He managed two draws and two penalty shoot out wins to get us to the Euro's via a route that only contained teams of a similar ability to us.

He couldn't get a win against Slovakia or Israel to almost guarantee us a world cup play off spot.

Thank you, I think the final sentence was needed there. 

Fucking bet that useless dick is back for the September games! 

I'm going to choose to believe that he will learn from his mistakes. We should have kept Strachan as I felt he was at the same place, made mistakes and would have been better for it but he got canned and we got McLeish MK II. 

55 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

How many times have you heard "the players really love him" line regarding other managers?

We loved playing under Burley

we loved playing under Levein

We loved playing under McLeish

We loved playing under Strachan

etc etc etc

How about we liked winning games for a change, how good would that be. 

Every Scotland manager in recent history that has tried to be a bit more expansive has paid a heavy price. I don't criticise Clarke for his caution and loyalty to players in the Czech game, but his failure to recognise we needed to change personnel and system at half time after getting out of jail at 1-1 against Croatia in a 'winner takes all game' was absolutely criminal 

32 minutes ago, kumnio said:

etc etc etc

Don't think many claimed to love playing for Souness............give him the job.

Come to think about what did players say about Ferguson and Stein.

36 minutes ago, kumnio said:

etc etc etc

How about we stick with a manager long enough for him to make a real difference?

Last Friday, everyone on this forum would have been giving nothing but praise to Clarke for his tactics against England. Less than a week later and he should be getting sacked according to some.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don’t even know where to begin with this statement. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Since Craig Brown left, only Berti Vogts and Craig Burley have a lower win rate, that’s some progress under him….

True, if only we'd been knocked out the play-offs by Israel, our win rate under Clarke would be 45%, that's higher than Craig Levein or Walter Smith or Jock Stein.

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t even know where to begin with this statement. 

Think about it, it's pretty simple.

We needed one win to win our nations league group and bar some miracles that would have got us a world cup playoff spot

Edited by ceudmilefailte