The news thread - Page 118 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

there is good reason why they are raising it.  Previously there were four workers for for every retiree to pay for it, now there is only 1.7 per retiree.  The sums don’t add up.  Either you reduce the number of retirees or you increase the number of workers.

the western world is entering unchartered territory with the dramatic shift in aging population.  

Pensioners have already invested towards their own pension. If governments over the years had invested those contributions wisely, instead of squandering it on stuff that ordinary folk don't need, then we wouldn't have this problem. This idea that todays workers have to pay for previous generations of workers pensions has only come about because our governments have been ripping us off for generations.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Edinburgh to remove meat from school meals for climate reasons 🤷‍♂️.

Strange move IMO. I'd be hacked off if I was stuck in a nursing home or hospital and they told me I can't eat meat. 

I'd be phoning a friend to bring in a five guys 

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Strange move IMO. I'd be hacked off if I was stuck in a nursing home or hospital and they told me I can't eat meat. 

I'd be phoning a friend to bring in a five guys 

It would be if it were true but of course, it’s absolute bollocks. 

Promoting a plant based diet is not banning meat but then he knew that already. 

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

It would be if it were true but of course, it’s absolute bollocks. 

Promoting a plant based diet is not banning meat but then he knew that already. 

I looked this up and my understanding is Edinburgh have become the first Capital city in europe to remove meat from its School, Hospital and Nursing home menus. are you saying its not true?

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I looked this up and my understanding is Edinburgh have become the first Capital city in europe to remove meat from its School, Hospital and Nursing home menus. are you saying its not true?

In which paper did you read that?

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It's a good idea especially when the hidden truth of the 80s BSE outbreak becomes mainstream ..........

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What does it matter? 

You are saying its not true, I'm saying I don't know

It does matter.  I read an article in the National which reported this in a bit of a matter of fact way and that is where I stated that there was nothing about banning meat.

I then saw this article in the Daily Mail which suggests something completely different.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11651493/Edinburgh-European-capital-meat-menu-schools-reduce-footprint.html

The headline seems to pretty explicit.

"Edinburgh becomes first European capital to commit to taking meat off the menu in schools in bid to reduce city's carbon footprint".

Then when you get to what the council is actually proposing to do - right at the bottom - it's somewhat different.

"A council report said: 'Overall, the science is clear: Meat and dairy consumption must reduce to achieve climate targets.'"

I see this has been updated in the last half an hour to include a quote from ECC's council leader.

"Council Leader Cammy Day said:

'By endorsing the Plant Based Treaty the Council is expressing support for a treaty to be negotiated at a global level as a companion to the Paris Agreement on climate. The Plant Based Treaty is not legally binding and is modelled on the Fossil Fuel Treaty, which Edinburgh endorsed in March 2022 as the first city in Scotland.'"

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Pensioners have already invested towards their own pension. If governments over the years had invested those contributions wisely, instead of squandering it on stuff that ordinary folk don't need, then we wouldn't have this problem. This idea that todays workers have to pay for previous generations of workers pensions has only come about because our governments have been ripping us off for generations.

completely agree with all of that. The fallacy that you are somehow paying in to your own state pension has been perpetuated for years when of course that’s not the reality.  Western governments have a huge problem to solve here.

the easiest and possibly less controversial way to resolve it is to keep raising the state pension age.  Wait until they try and means test it…

a shower of see you next Tuesdays the lot of them.  They keep moving the goalposts.  Pension lifetime allowance being the latest wheeze they have of “encouraging” you to pay in to your pension and then limit what you can get out of it.  Next it will be those with so much in their private pensions don’t get a state pension.

better off sitting on your arse not earning and letting the government take care of you.

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

It does matter.  I read an article in the National which reported this in a bit of a matter of fact way and that is where I stated that there was nothing about banning meat.

I then saw this article in the Daily Mail which suggests something completely different.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11651493/Edinburgh-European-capital-meat-menu-schools-reduce-footprint.html

The headline seems to pretty explicit.

"Edinburgh becomes first European capital to commit to taking meat off the menu in schools in bid to reduce city's carbon footprint".

Then when you get to what the council is actually proposing to do - right at the bottom - it's somewhat different.

"A council report said: 'Overall, the science is clear: Meat and dairy consumption must reduce to achieve climate targets.'"

I see this has been updated in the last half an hour to include a quote from ECC's council leader.

"Council Leader Cammy Day said:

'By endorsing the Plant Based Treaty the Council is expressing support for a treaty to be negotiated at a global level as a companion to the Paris Agreement on climate. The Plant Based Treaty is not legally binding and is modelled on the Fossil Fuel Treaty, which Edinburgh endorsed in March 2022 as the first city in Scotland.'"

it’s not for the nanny state to decide how individuals should eat to influence the carbon footprint.  Aviation is horrendous- they should just ground all planes forever.  That’s equally ludicrous.  I get pissed off with folk flying about on several holidays a year and then have the cheek to criticise me for the car I drive. Who decides what acceptable carbon emissions and not?

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

it’s not for the nanny state to decide how individuals should eat to influence the carbon footprint.  Aviation is horrendous- they should just ground all planes forever.  That’s equally ludicrous.  I get pissed off with folk flying about on several holidays a year and then have the cheek to criticise me for the car I drive. Who decides what acceptable carbon emissions and not?

Who is stopping you driving your car? Is it the same folk that are stopping you eating steak pies?

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

So you concede that it's utter bollocks that Edinburgh City Council are banning meat?

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Who is stopping you driving your car? Is it the same folk that are stopping you eating steak pies?

Point I’m making is that there are plenty hypocrites that generate far more carbon than me that have the cheek to get on their high horse about eating meat and driving a diesel.

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don;t think I mentioned meat being banned, I said and I think Malcolm said it was being removed from certain menus, is this not correct?

It doesn't say that anywhere that I can see.  Show me where it does and I will stand corrected.

OK i decided to spend 5 mins.

Here we go:

13th of January 2023 Edinburgh council published an assessment report. Which had amendments on the 17th of January

Specifically they endorse the plant based treaty but "Note that although plant-based options will be promoted in schools, young people will still have choice in their meals."

Also "Across all primary school sites, there is one
meat free day per week, with secondary schools
providing 100% meat-free main meals one day
per week. This is delivered as part of the
Council’s commitment to create menus which
promote a balanced diet. A vegetarian or vegan
option is also available every day and red and
processed meats have been reduced in line with
the Scottish Government’s legislation on school
meals."

Also might put carbon imprint labelling on food, that's pretty much it. Without trying to sound cruel, Malcolm is the lowest information poster i encounter on a regular basis these days, so much so i just assume it is satire as the alternative is quite sad for him.

Edited by phart

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Here we go:

13th of January 2023 Edinburgh council published an assessment report. Which had amendments on the 17th of January

Specifically they endorse the plant based treaty but "Note that although plant-based options will be promoted in schools, young people will still have choice in their meals."

meals."

Also might put carbon imprint labelling on food, that's pretty much it. Without trying to sound cruel, Malcolm is the lowest information poster i encounter on a regular basis these days, so much so i just assume it is satire as the alternative is quite sad for him.

Thank you

35 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Point I’m making is that there are plenty hypocrites that generate far more carbon than me that have the cheek to get on their high horse about eating meat and driving a diesel.

And what happened to your high horse? Did somebody eat it?

10 minutes ago, phart said:

Here we go:

meals."

👍 😂

He is at it. He's not nearly as thick as he would like us to think. 

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Congrats, you were right on the TAMB. Put it on yer CV🤣🤣🤣🤣

By the way, I wasn't having a go at you.  I *was* having a go at Malcolm.  I asked where you'd read that as I'd read different, that was all.