The news thread - Page 129 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Looks like they have found Nicola Bulleys body in river , very sad 

Still no formal identification

Must be horrific for the family looking at what's left of a body that's been in the water for 3 weeks

Might have to be dental records or DNA

On 2/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, Orraloon said:

Imagine the news coverage if this was happening in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64653482

better tell the huns

8 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Looks like they have found Nicola Bulleys body in river , very sad 

If its her then surley someone has had the body somewhere?
Theyve been through the river for miles and it turns up less than a mile from the last sighting?

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

better tell the huns

If its her then surley someone has had the body somewhere?
Theyve been through the river for miles and it turns up less than a mile from the last sighting?

I'm sure it would have been easy for someone to carry a body to the river and throw it in without anybody noticing.!! Really?

8 hours ago, jailender said:

I'm sure it would have been easy for someone to carry a body to the river and throw it in without anybody noticing.!! Really?

🤷‍♂️ You'd think they would find it less than a mile away when searching the river

A new law came into force today increasing the minimum age that someone can marry in England and Wales to 18.

In Scotland, this is of course 16 and has been since time immemorial. 

This means that people in Scotland and In England and Wales will be being treated differently.

Being married is also included as a protected characteristic under the Equality act.

These are the reasons the UKG gave for blocking the GRR Bill. 

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

A new law came into force today increasing the minimum age that someone can marry in England and Wales to 18.

That is actually quite a significant change and this is the first time I have heard it mentioned. It's a much bigger change than anything in the GRR Scotland Bill and it seems to have happened almost unnoticed by the media. Strange.

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

This means that people in Scotland and In England and Wales will be being treated differently.

Being married is also included as a protected characteristic under the Equality act.

Hypocrisy at its finest. What a surprise.

Will 16 year olds be stocking up on cheap English carry oots and crossing the border to marry ? 😊

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That is actually quite a significant change and this is the first time I have heard it mentioned. It's a much bigger change than anything in the GRR Scotland Bill and it seems to have happened almost unnoticed by the media. Strange.

I haven’t heard about it either. Unbelievable , especially when its being done for the reasons it is. You would think it would be plastered over the papers.
Unless of course there was this little business of the GRR bill and the inconsistencies. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It's the first I heard about it and like you I didn't realise it was in the pipeline. I guess it's not that controversial as most people probably see it as being a good thing in helping to prevent abusive marriages (at least that's the justification I've seen). I also think that there aren't actually many people who do get married under 18 so I'm not sure it is a big change. Unlike GRR there's no real concern that it impinges on other people's rights, unless you're a 16 year old saying 'Im contacting Amnesty cos I want to get married and my mum and dad agree!'

28 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It's the first I heard about it and like you I didn't realise it was in the pipeline. I guess it's not that controversial as most people probably see it as being a good thing in helping to prevent abusive marriages (at least that's the justification I've seen). I also think that there aren't actually many people who do get married under 18 so I'm not sure it is a big change. Unlike GRR there's no real concern that it impinges on other people's rights, unless you're a 16 year old saying 'Im contacting Amnesty cos I want to get married and my mum and dad agree!'

Probably more people who get married under 18 than get a GRR certificate.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably more people who get married under 18 than get a GRR certificate.

Latest figures from ONS, 139 sixteen and seventeen year olds got married in 2019 (I think that's England and Wales) the majority being girls. Whilst you may well be right about the number of people getting GRR certificates the GRR controversy is much bigger as it potentially affects a much greater number of people. GRR critics argue that it undermines the rights of half the population.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Latest figures from ONS, 139 sixteen and seventeen year olds got married in 2019 (I think that's England and Wales) the majority being girls. Whilst you may well be right about the number of people getting GRR certificates the GRR controversy is much bigger as it potentially affects a much greater number of people. GRR critics argue that it undermines the rights of half the population.

I think what it proves is that the arguments put forward by the UKG were bollocks and it was a naked political and ideological act. 

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Good news for Gretna Green anyway.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Aye, that's England and Wales [data] - 111 women, twenty-eight men.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Fewer under eighteens got married between 2014 and 2019 (inclusive; 1,113) than in the whole of the year 2000 (1,119), while fewer have got married since 2000 (inclusive; 9,022) than in the whole year of 1983 (9,358).

It's something that was dying out anyway: there was less people getting married who were twenty or younger in 2019 (3,216) than there were sixteen and seventeen year olds getting married in 1989 (3,766).

The median age people are first getting married has been climbing too: 31.9 for men; 30.4 for women in 2019 compared to 29.6 and 27.5 respectively in 2000. The number of people getting married at all has decline too.

Marriage is losing relevance in the modern world anyway, but the age rise barely affects anyone which is why most people wouldn't've even known about the legislation being in the pipeline until it became law.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The UK government is set to block the deposit scheme according to some rags

good.  Yet another stupid idea that we need the adults in Westminster to come in and sort out.

there have been some really great things done by the parliament but it’s been a shit show since the greens have had influence.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

good.  Yet another stupid idea that we need the adults in Westminster to come in and sort out.

there have been some really great things done by the parliament but it’s been a shit show since the greens have had influence.

The deposit return scheme regulations were passed in 2020 and predate any green involvement in government. Still, why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Your pretence has run its course Malcolm. 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Your pretence has run its course Malcolm. 

No pretence here. I have centre right views and also support the idea of independence.  I absolutely do not want independence if it means we are run by idiots (see the Green Party) and follow far left or pointless stupid policies (eg anything that suggest biological men can be women or the DRS)