The news thread - Page 125 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Stewart McDonald's emails have been hacked - this could be interesting? Maybe?

Probably conversations with Alyn Smith about bumming

In recent weeks H5N1 bird flu has been ripping through Peru

55,000 birds including Pelicans and Penguins have died

It has also claimed nearly 600 Sea Lions

A Lion in a zoo has also died from it

H5N1 has also been spreading through South East Asia and more worryingly in China's major cities

Only a matter of time before it jumps into a human if not already

23 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

In recent weeks H5N1 bird flu has been ripping through Peru

55,000 birds including Pelicans and Penguins have died

It has also claimed nearly 600 Sea Lions

A Lion in a zoo has also died from it

H5N1 has also been spreading through South East Asia and more worryingly in China's major cities

Only a matter of time before it jumps into a human if not already

Humans have been infected by this current virus, but cases are rare. Usually people who work closely with infected birds. As yet, there are no recorded cases of human to human transfer. Although that could change.

18 hours ago, scotlad said:

Starmer is keeping very quiet about this issue just now, understandably so since he's currently odds-on to win the next election. He'll be keeping a close eye on how it's playing out up here though and I expect the closer he gets to election day the more he'll be asked about it. 

The fact Labour up here voted for the act paints him into a corner a wee bit. If Labour win the next GE with the kind of huge majority that's being predicted then in theory they could get it through. At the moment though, considering how much controversy it's caused up here, I don't think they'll want to go there.

If he's being pragmatic I wouldn't have thought Starmer will champion this but he's already tied himself in knots in the issue as very publicly he couldn't define what/who is a woman. Given what's happened in Scotland and the right wing press in England he'll try to avoid the issue.

I don't think SLab voting for GRR will paint him into a corner however. SLab are only a branch office. Even if backing GRR was seen as the right thing to do in Scotland it won't be seen as such in England and as we well know that is where the votes really count 

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

If he's being pragmatic I wouldn't have thought Starmer will champion this but he's already tied himself in knots in the issue as very publicly he couldn't define what/who is a woman. Given what's happened in Scotland and the right wing press in England he'll try to avoid the issue.

I don't think SLab voting for GRR will paint him into a corner however. SLab are only a branch office. Even if backing GRR was seen as the right thing to do in Scotland it won't be seen as such in England and as we well know that is where the votes really count 

Alright, maybe that's too strong a term, but I expect every interviewer who speaks to him before the election to bring up the fact most of his MSPs voted for the bill. It's also apparently popular amongst Welsh Labour. 

Unless the Tories mount a drastic comeback between then and now I can't see that issue alone having any impact though. As things stand it's Labour's election to lose.

50 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Alright, maybe that's too strong a term, but I expect every interviewer who speaks to him before the election to bring up the fact most of his MSPs voted for the bill. It's also apparently popular amongst Welsh Labour. 

Unless the Tories mount a drastic comeback between then and now I can't see that issue alone having any impact though. As things stand it's Labour's election to lose.

Tbh Labour could just keep the status quo, kick the issue into the long grass and say they'll have some sort of commission/review (another one) some time in the future. Most people apart from the trans activists aren't going to be too bothered by that. Most of us just want rid of the Tories (sorry, Malcolm!), doing nothing on trans issues isn't going to lose votes overall.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Not sure if it's been discussed here or not but the Scottish Government's proposed Deposit Return Scheme looks like it's going to be a bit of a disaster if pushed through in August.

I don't think it will start in August now. Too many problems to be sorted out. 

15 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Not sure if it's been discussed here or not but the Scottish Government's proposed Deposit Return Scheme looks like it's going to be a bit of a disaster if pushed through in August.

Oh yes. Its been flogged to death. Surprised you missed my 5 page rant 🙂

Working for a living looking a bit less attractive next year wit tax up to 42/47p.   When you make more money for the government than yourself many question the wisdom of working.

I suspect the snp/greens have just encouraged a few more to retire early or cut the availability of their skills to become part time.

31 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Working for a living looking a bit less attractive next year wit tax up to 42/47p.   When you make more money for the government than yourself many question the wisdom of working.

I suspect the snp/greens have just encouraged a few more to retire early or cut the availability of their skills to become part time.

This whole thing about people not working because the incremental tax rate increase means they pay more tax is laughable.  It’s the sort of thing that sounds like it could be true but in reality it isn’t.  The key thing to remember about tax is that you need to earn it to have to pay it.

I mean, take an example,  someone earning £250k pa with a bog standard tax situation will take home £139,269 in the current tax year.  In 2023/24 they will pay £136,917.  By my calculations that means they will take home £2,552.  I don’t see too many people thinking, I’m taking home £130k+ but I’m packing that in because I’m not giving an extra £2.5k to the government.

I know lots of different reasons why people have given up work, an increase in tax isn’t one of them.

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

This whole thing about people not working because the incremental tax rate increase means they pay more tax is laughable.  It’s the sort of thing that sounds like it could be true but in reality it isn’t.  The key thing to remember about tax is that you need to earn it to have to pay it.

I mean, take an example,  someone earning £250k pa with a bog standard tax situation will take home £139,269 in the current tax year.  In 2023/24 they will pay £136,917.  By my calculations that means they will take home £2,552.  I don’t see too many people thinking, I’m taking home £130k+ but I’m packing that in because I’m not giving an extra £2.5k to the government.

I know lots of different reasons why people have given up work, an increase in tax isn’t one of them.

In the example you give, you are correct.  Once you are in 250k + bracket it you are already in the mindset of getting half of what you earn.  also at that level remuneration tends to be heavily performance oriented and can be mitigated with things like stock options as part of compensation.  Lots in this space (eg banking, fund managers, consulting partners, senior tech sales, top lawyers)find ways to just make more cash.

The people this will affect are the 100-150k a year, maybe towards the end of their careers and looking at the marginal rate they pay.  These are the people who might go to three days a week to drop themselves under 100k, retain their personal allowance.   They may also retire early as the pension pot is full due to rishi freezing the pot at 1073k so no real point.  
im thinking particularly of doctors and consultants in the nhs and other public sector staff.

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

In the example you give, you are correct.  Once you are in 250k + bracket it you are already in the mindset of getting half of what you earn.  also at that level remuneration tends to be heavily performance oriented and can be mitigated with things like stock options as part of compensation.  Lots in this space (eg banking, fund managers, consulting partners, senior tech sales, top lawyers)find ways to just make more cash.

The people this will affect are the 100-150k a year, maybe towards the end of their careers and looking at the marginal rate they pay.  These are the people who might go to three days a week to drop themselves under 100k, retain their personal allowance.   They may also retire early as the pension pot is full due to rishi freezing the pot at 1073k so no real point.  
im thinking particularly of doctors and consultants in the nhs and other public sector staff.

Doctors in the NHS have a particular problem with their pensions which is forcing people to retire.  However that’s not related to increases in tax but is to do with how their pension schemes work.

The other examples you quote have more to do with people readjusting their work life balance.   They may pay less tax but only because they earn less and I suspect that’s it’s about being able to afford that drop in salary rather than to pay less tax.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Doctors in the NHS have a particular problem with their pensions which is forcing people to retire.  However that’s not related to increases in tax but is to do with how their pension schemes work.

The other examples you quote have more to do with people readjusting their work life balance.   They may pay less tax but only because they earn less and I suspect that’s it’s about being able to afford that drop in salary rather than to pay less tax.

yes, the pension lifetime allowance is the issue, which is a tax.  and its not just particular to doctors.

people are adjusting their work life balance as the government are not making it worthwhile to remain in work.  Yet they scratch their heads and wonder why so many 50 year olds are economically inactive.  Its been since the lifetime allowance has been reduced.  Couple that with increased taxes and its even more compelling.

If you are already comfortable why bother? Its not attractive.

there is a brain drain happening.  Friends where the husband is a doctor.. making about 100-120k here… off to canada making three times that.  My nephew… studying medicine here at scottish governments expense… likely to be heading to Oz where medics are fat better paid.  We are fucked if this continues.

This Nicola Bulley dissappearance is as odd as fuck isnt it

It's no wonder it has awoken the tin foil hat ghouls on social media entirely because it's that odd

From " she almost certainly fell in the river" to "being nowhere near the river" is mental

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's no wonder it has awoken the tin foil hat ghouls on social media entirely because it's that odd

From " she almost certainly fell in the river" to "being nowhere near the river" is mental

I guess the fact that there seems to be zero evidence just allows these nut job theories to run wild. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

They keep saying she was on a conference call to work and it was still active when the phone was found. They havent mentioned what anyone who was on the call has said. Like did she say "2 mins i need to get the dog" or anything at all?

I reckon the husband/partner guy is involved

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

It's looking more and more likely that she has been abducted IMO but i would be breaching into the Internet Sleuth division if i said any more

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Police seem to have made an arse of it. Seemed bizarre how certain they were she was in the river with no proof.

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

They keep saying she was on a conference call to work and it was still active when the phone was found. They havent mentioned what anyone who was on the call has said. Like did she say "2 mins i need to get the dog" or anything at all?

They have said she was inactive in the call as large number of participants. Not unusual.  I've a morning one with 40 odd folk on it