The news thread - Page 130 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

No pretence here. I have centre right views and also support the idea of independence.  I absolutely do not want independence if it means we are run by idiots (see the Green Party) and follow far left or pointless stupid policies (eg anything that suggest biological men can be women or the DRS)

Bit you're happy for us to be run by idiots in westmintser who 100% do not put scotland first 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

No pretence here. I have centre right views and also support the idea of independence.  I absolutely do not want independence if it means we are run by idiots (see the Green Party) and follow far left or pointless stupid policies (eg anything that suggest biological men can be women or the DRS)

Anyone that describes Westminster as ‘the adults’ and encourages their intervention in blocking our own Parliament has absolutely no intention of voting for independence, green involvement or not. Westminster should be absolutely nowhere near the DRS no matter what peoples views are on it. 
You are wanting independence under your terms only. 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Anyone that describes Westminster as ‘the adults’ and encourages their intervention in blocking our own Parliament has absolutely no intention of voting for independence, green involvement or not. Westminster should be absolutely nowhere near the DRS no matter what peoples views are on it. 
You are wanting independence under your terms only. 

yeah, I think that’s a fair way to describe it. Independence under my terms would be great 😊

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I expect businesses in Scotland to be up in arms and receive the same coverage about this that they did about the DRS

Indeed. Won’t hold my breath. Scottish political parties and media should be all over that. 

In case anyone makes the mistake of just reading the quote and not watching the video - please watch it. The statement is even more incredible when you see the animation and gusto from Sunak as he delivers it. Unbelievable. 

5 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Indeed. Won’t hold my breath. Scottish political parties and media should be all over that. 

In case anyone makes the mistake of just reading the quote and not watching the video - please watch it. The statement is even more incredible when you see the animation and gusto from Sunak as he delivers it. Unbelievable. 

It is unbelievable. He really hasn't thought this through or doesn't care. So N. Ireland gets to trade with EU and rest of UK, big deal so could Scotland before a Brexit that she overwhelming rejected!

"If we get this right, if we get this framework implemented, if we get the executive back up and running here, Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position – unique position in the entire world, European continent – in having privileged access, not just to the UK home market, which is enormous, the fifth biggest in the world, but also the European Union single market. Nobody else has that. No one. Only you guys. Only here. And that is the prize.

I can tell you, when I go around the world and talk to businesses, they know. They’re like, ‘That’s interesting, if you guys get this sorted, then we want to invest in Northern Ireland.’ Because nowhere else does that that exist. That’s like the world’s most exciting economic zone."

-Rishi Sunak (today).

Downing Street and Conservative HQ must have watched that in absolute horror.

15 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I heard it on LBC. James O'Brian sounded absolutely astonished after it's first play (they played it a few more times thereafter).

Like you, James O'Brian also talked about how excitable Sunak was when he was saying it.  

58 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

"If we get this right, if we get this framework implemented, if we get the executive back up and running here, Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position – unique position in the entire world, European continent – in having privileged access, not just to the UK home market, which is enormous, the fifth biggest in the world, but also the European Union single market. Nobody else has that. No one. Only you guys. Only here. And that is the prize.

I can tell you, when I go around the world and talk to businesses, they know. They’re like, ‘That’s interesting, if you guys get this sorted, then we want to invest in Northern Ireland.’ Because nowhere else does that that exist. That’s like the world’s most exciting economic zone."

-Rishi Sunak (today).

Downing Street and Conservative HQ must have watched that in absolute horror.

The Greeks have a word for it. Hubris. 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

The Greeks have a word for it. Hubris. 

I'm not sure it is. I think he's right.

NI has always been a backwater economy relative to other parts of the UK, but that changed with Brexit and it now outperforms the UK average.

https://www.politico.eu/article/experts-brexit-protocol-is-boosting-northern-ireland-economy/

33 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

NI has always been a backwater economy relative to other parts of the UK, but that changed with Brexit and it now outperforms the UK average.

https://www.politico.eu/article/experts-brexit-protocol-is-boosting-northern-ireland-economy/

Mine was a comment on Sunak saying N.Ireland's ability to trade with rest of the UK and EU was so great. Lots of people pointing out that the whole of the UK had that before Brexit. In classic Greek drama hubris was followed by nemesis. Sunak beware!

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Mine was a comment on Sunak saying N.Ireland's ability to trade with rest of the UK and EU was so great. Lots of people pointing out that the whole of the UK had that before Brexit. In classic Greek drama hubris was followed by nemesis. Sunak beware!

This has the potential to reignite anger around Brexit. Not in Scotland of course despite two thirds voting to remain. We will just slap NI on the back and say well done. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

This has the potential to reignite anger around Brexit. Not in Scotland of course despite two thirds voting to remain. We will just slap NI on the back and say well done. 

Yes there's been several comments I've seen on social media wondering whether they'll be any outrage from Scottish businesses. Most of them have been sceptical but it would be nice if they demanded some answers from Sunak.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Yes there's been several comments I've seen on social media wondering whether they'll be any outrage from Scottish businesses. Most of them have been sceptical but it would be nice if they demanded some answers from Sunak.

We pretty much deserve business to just fuck off to NI where they can get the ‘best of both worlds’.

It is truly what the Scottish public deserve. 

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I wonder if your local gin distillers or Innes and Gunn will protest …….

16 hours ago, Dave78 said:

If the DUP turn their noses up at this new arrangement - barring any detail that hasn't been made public - they're bonkers.

Actually, no, they're bonkers anyway...if they reject this deal they're stupid, because on the face of it it has the potential to transform NI for the better.

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If the DUP turn their noses up at this new arrangement - barring any detail that hasn't been made public - they're bonkers.

Actually, no, they're bonkers anyway...if they reject this deal they're stupid, because on the face of it it has the potential to transform NI for the better.

I genuinely believe that they are not interested in whether or not NI benefits, or at least it’s not their primary concern.

Remember, this is the only major political party to oppose the GFA.  

I suspect Sinn Fein being “in power” will be too much for them to thole.

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

I genuinely believe that they are not interested in whether or not NI benefits, or at least it’s not their primary concern.

Remember, this is the only major political party to oppose the GFA.  

I suspect Sinn Fein being “in power” will be too much for them to thole.

Aye, that's true, they're zealots.

From a political point of view though, if they accept it, they could say "look, we've access to both markets now, why risk that with reunification?". 

That kind of thing works here, although I know Northern Ireland is a completely different kettle of fish!