The news thread - Page 127 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The photos of the train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio look like photo's of East Palestine in the middle east !

God knows what shit was on that train

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've noticed this more and more lately. It's a cunts trick.

Screenshot_20230215-091708_Twitter.jpg

I’m not sure it’s really that big a deal - just seems like another thing for people to get a bee in their bonnet about.  

If the government don’t brief the press then you can be sure that either someone from somewhere in the process - SG/SNP/LA/Cosla/Unions - will leak. It’s a matter of reality. You can be sure that the unions, whether happy/unhappy with an offer, would engage the media with a response prior to it hitting members. It’s bit petty to suggest otherwise and seems just to be another chosen stick to beat with.  

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Sturgeon stepping down. 

As I no longer post on the IndyRef thread for obvious reasons.I will post my thoughts here.

She will be hard to replace seamlessly. Quite clear how well she has done as unionist parties now see this as a chance to re-establish themselves in Scotland.

For me Sturgeon's replacement should be Angus Robertson. Speaks with clarity and with suthority and did a great job leading the party at Westminster.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As I no longer post on the IndyRef thread for obvious reasons.I will post my thoughts here.

She will be hard to replace seamlessly. Quite clear how well she has done as unionist parties now see this as a chance to re-establish themselves in Scotland.

For me Sturgeon's replacement should be Angus Robertson. Speaks with clarity and with suthority and did a great job leading the party at Westminster.

I am pretty negative about her potential replacement. I dont particularly like Angus Robertson . He speaks well but he comes over as  smarmy IMO . Salmond was a bit smarmy but I overlooked that as he was incredibly sharp and passionate .

The SNP unfortunately are now internally fractured like the other main UK parties. Whoever gets the job will have internal enemies and have to deal with the shit that gets thrown up here, so they will need to be very capable. The only people I think are capable are at Westminster unfortunately.  
That said, there are a couple of people that are still better than any of the other parties could offer as FM. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

EIS reject improved offer.   Talk about bad timing. 

Quite difficult to see where this goes. 

For NHS and Local Gov, they had much lower caps for higher earners in the pay settlement. EIS bargaining hard for 10%, not wanting differentiated settlement for higher earners. And I see people complaining that the latest offer is a reduced offer to Probationers.  

Doesn’t seem to be any compromise. 

19 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Quite difficult to see where this goes. 

For NHS and Local Gov, they had much lower caps for higher earners in the pay settlement. EIS bargaining hard for 10%, not wanting differentiated settlement for higher earners. And I see people complaining that the latest offer is a reduced offer to Probationers.  

Doesn’t seem to be any compromise. 

There will obviously be no-one particularly interested in settling from the government side for the next couple of months until there’s a new leader in place.  

7 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Douglas Ross and Murdo Fraser showed themselves up  for the classless chunts they are.

I didn’t see the BBC news but I read Ross’s  statement and all I could think of was ‘undignified and unsurprising’ . Well, thats  the clean interpretation.

Coming from someone whose party has presided over the biggest political and economic shambles in years it takes a right brass neck. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If The Knight of the Bath wins this wee battle then he will have succeeded in totally turning New New Labour into the Tory Reserve team. It amazes me how traditional Labour voters can want this charlatan to lead their party. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64656900

He doesn’t care. 

The Labour votes are already in the bag since they’re not the Tories. Which means that he’s all out to gain Tory votes now.  Then when he gets into power it’ll be about keeping those votes - so Labour shift ever further to Tory light.  

3 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

He doesn’t care. 

The Labour votes are already in the bag since they’re not the Tories. Which means that he’s all out to gain Tory votes now.  Then when he gets into power it’ll be about keeping those votes - so Labour shift ever further to Tory light.  

Let's not forget that Lee Anderson was a Labour councillor from one of those "traditional" Labour constituencies until 2018, when that nasty Jeremy Corbyn kicked him out after he received an ASBO for targeting travellers.

There's a lot of old school racists in these old Labour strongholds.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If The Knight of the Bath wins this wee battle then he will have succeeded in totally turning New New Labour into the Tory Reserve team. It amazes me how traditional Labour voters can want this charlatan to lead their party. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64656900

Starmer has treated Corbyn appallingly.  Corbyn might have been a poor leader and his Momentum crowd a bit of an embarrassment, but it was he who helped put Starmer where he is today.  So much for gratitude.  Corbyn has every right to stand as a Labour candidate if he chooses to do so (he's still a member of the party, as far as I'm aware).

25 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Starmer has treated Corbyn appallingly.  Corbyn might have been a poor leader and his Momentum crowd a bit of an embarrassment, but it was he who helped put Starmer where he is today.  So much for gratitude.  Corbyn has every right to stand as a Labour candidate if he chooses to do so (he's still a member of the party, as far as I'm aware).

I think he is still a member and is very popular in his constituency.  

Starmer has to really do something to try and stop the Tories shouting "Corbyn" at him all the time but I think he is handling this very badly.

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think he is still a member and is very popular in his constituency.  

Starmer has to really do something to try and stop the Tories shouting "Corbyn" at him all the time but I think he is handling this very badly.

Yeah, I agree that he had to put some distance between himself and the party that Corbyn led.  I don't believe for one second that Corbyn is genuinely antisemitic but he allowed the smears to take root.  

To a large extent Starmer has been successful in reshaping his party, for better or worse, but the way he has turned on his former boss is appalling.

15 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Bruce Willis  has frontotemporal dementia, his family have announced it on social media. 

I dont have many memories of specific actors/ actresses impressing me on TV but I remember very,  very clearly the show Moonlighting coming out, I loved it and thought he was fantastic in it . I remember him for that more-so even than the Diehard movies as I think that was the show that launched him. Sad  to hear this news. 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Tory priorities in the Borders. Council to spend Covid cash on coronation parties

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/south_scotland

No doubt they'll also say that there's not enough money for local councils.

Can guarantee people see that headline and think ‘why are the SNP wasting money on this’ . No idea that its a Tory run council.