The news thread - Page 128 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/15/2023 at 6:11 PM, aaid said:

There will obviously be no-one particularly interested in settling from the government side for the next couple of months until there’s a new leader in place.  

They might want to bother or there will be some exams getting impacted. Government is there to govern, they still have a leader as it stands. 

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Imagine the news coverage if this was happening in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64653482

One of those hospitals I know quite well! This is so typical of BBC reporting and the difference between Scotland and England. There's no mention in the article about which party is in government Govt nor there any calls upon the Health minister to resign!

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They might want to bother or there will be some exams getting impacted. Government is there to govern, they still have a leader as it stands. 

We’ll see.  Interesting that the EIS rejected the offer out of hand but the SSTA are putting it to their members. 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

How does this compare to Scotlands? Ie no legal safeguarding built into the legislation?

Maybe, maybe, the real issue here is the Equality Act and how that’s implemented and is nothing to do with how a GRC is issued.

All these safeguarding issues either already happen or could happen right now.  The only difference with making the process of a GRC easier is it only increases the number of people with GRCs.  The Equality Act is either fit for purpose if it applies to 100 people or 10,000 or it’s not.  

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont have many memories of specific actors/ actresses impressing me on TV but I remember very,  very clearly the show Moonlighting coming out, I loved it and thought he was fantastic in it . I remember him for that more-so even than the Diehard movies as I think that was the show that launched him. Sad  to hear this news. 

Loved moonlighting...

Miss Depesto and Herbert

Maddie and Dave....

Loved the music in it as well 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

One of those hospitals I know quite well! This is so typical of BBC reporting and the difference between Scotland and England. There's no mention in the article about which party is in government Govt nor there any calls upon the Health minister to resign!

Aye, they just can't help themselves. They do it at every opportunity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64677180 

3 hours ago, stocky said:

Loved moonlighting...

Miss Depesto and Herbert

Maddie and Dave....

Loved the music in it as well 

Ooft, i'd forgotten all about that show.

I used to sneak out of bed and turn the telly on with the sound right down to watch it. Think i was around 9 years old. Cybil Sheppard must have been the first girl i fancied!

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Ooft, i'd forgotten all about that show.

I used to sneak out of bed and turn the telly on with the sound right down to watch it. Think i was around 9 years old. Cybil Sheppard must have been the first girl i fancied!

How many folk thought that sentence was going somewhere else? 😉 😂

Edited by Orraloon

5 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Channel 4 News  tonight reporting on N. Ireland commented that talks were being held at Culloden House. Then commented that Culloden was the site of a famous 'British' victory. Wtf!

Technically that is correct.  It was a victory for British government forces. 

Interestingly, one of the defeated Jacobite leaders that day was Donald Cameron of Lochiel.  He was the 6x great grandfather of current Tory MSP, also Donald Cameron. 

Edited by aaid

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

Technically that is correct.  It was a victory for British government forces. 

Interestingly, one of the defeated Jacobite leaders that day was Donald Cameron of Lochiel.  He was the 6x great grandfather of current Tory MSP, also Donald Cameron. 

On the other hand the defeated forces were also British! If the reporter had said British government then I won't have raised an eyebrow.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

How many folk thought that sentence was going somewhere else? 😉 😂

😄

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Girl? She was about 40 when they made that!

What can i say.... Cybill had strong competition from my classmate Fiona that lived round the corner. 

16 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

On the other hand the defeated forces were also British! If the reporter had said British government then I won't have raised an eyebrow.

I’m not saying that it’s not a poor choice of words, but describing it as an English victory would’ve been even worse.   A lot of people - particularly Scots - don’t realise that the Jacobite Campaign was a civil war and that Charlie’s objective was the crown of the United Kingdom.   

I’m not aware of any of my ancestors being at Culloden but if they were, as lowland Covenanters, they wouldn’t have been on the losing side. 

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Think i was around 9 years old. Cybil Sheppard must have been the first girl i fancied!

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Girl? She was about 40 when they made that!

So Davey fancied a mature woman. Leave the boy alone.

I fancied the Thomson's rep in Salou '82 and I was about seven

On 2/14/2023 at 3:24 PM, Hertsscot said:

Good for them. I think I might flee the country over that weekend. 

Or maybe I'll be on the march instead. Probably cheaper though weather may not be as good!

Sat 6 May at 11am: AUOB Glasgow March for Independence.