Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I reckon that's the Scotland career of Steven Fletcher finished. I am guessing Clarke wasnt too happy with the manner of him declaring unfit then playing for Wednesday two days later. Goals are going to come from midfield with this squad or a penalty. 

Or the opposition. :lol:

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

Was optimistic when Clarke took over and still think he's a good manager but it's pissing in the wind here. The centre backs/ keeper and upfront areas just aren't there at the moment for against this upcoming opposition. Play offs, all or nothing ultimately.

The loss of center backs does look to have hurt us badly. It's pretty freakish..

McKenna, Souttar and Findlay all injured at the same time.
Bates sat on the bench (when he's even in the squad) at Wednesday, with no prospect of a game any time soon.
Tierney out injured, so we can't even use him as cover in the middle.
Liam Linsday now at stoke, but stuffed into a back 3 and getting wrecked every week.

It's a huge problem.

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

Why's that? It's 'just a feeling', aye?

You reckon a guy who's barely played right back in years, will be better than a guy who plays there all the time and's not done much wrong in the 9 internationals he's played in.

Why is that? It's your imaginary fear of O'Donnell or Palmer doing something wrong (which they haven't yet) fighting with your imagination of how imperious Jack must be at right back, were he hasn't played even semi-regularly since 2012.

Like, i can't control your imagination, but you should probably give it a go.

It’s nothing to do with O’Donnell playing for a “diddy team”. For what it’s worth, I think Taylor is good enough for the international set up. He’s just unfortunate we are so strong in his natural position.

But as for O’Donnell, a decent left sided player with any sort of pace or trickery will tear him a knew one. 

Jack knows the position, is better at reading the game in my opinion, and is generally a far better footballer. One of the form players in the league as well.

Its not an ideal situation but I would have Jack ahead of O’Donnell all day long.

26 minutes ago, andyD said:

O'Donnell and Palmer are both perfectly fine at right back. People pick on them because they think they're from 'diddy teams'. No one can actually point at anything significant they they're done wrong.

Hmmm I'd imagine for Palmer it's more down to the fact he was absolutely abysmal in his recent appearance. I don't think anyone gives a shite that he plays for Sheffield Wed.

29 minutes ago, andyD said:

They're the team i support.. and yeah, we're diddy these days. Going on 20 years out of the Premier League.. Just an average championship side, who hope to get lucky every season. Spent zero money this summer and heading into September without a manger. If we do well we'll finsih be above Bristol City and Preston North End.

Can you point my at something O'Donnell or Palmer have done wrong in any of their 10 caps?
Or are you just "Jack's great, they suck" that's how it is.

Top end championship teams aren't diddies when it comes to Scotland players I'm afraid... Absolutely no problem with players from a club like Wednesday getting a call up, and to be totally honest I've only seen Palmer a handful of times so may be slightly harsh on him.... 

... I'm not being harsh on SOD though, he's reeking. 

29 minutes ago, andyD said:

Exactly. The the interivew, I took it that Clarke had talked to Griff.. and it was a case of just let him get his feet back under him, and not throw him into the high pressure cauldron of a vital qualifier with Russia.

Seems like great man management to me, much like when Rodgers gave Griff the leave of absence in the first place.

“[Griffiths] was close,” Clarke said. “Leigh has got some fantastic attributes. I just look at him just now and he’s come a long way in a short space of time after a very difficult spell in his life.

“And I feel we should just give him a little more time to settle into the role again at Celtic and get himself fully fit and firing. And a fully fit and firing, sharp Leigh Griffiths will always be good for us.

“But at the moment I just feel it’s a little bit too early to push him.

The guy has a full pre season under his belt and his been playing for Celtic and even starting, strange that Celtic would be playing a player that isnt fully fit in games, i just find it strange that a player who is our best player in that position isnt getting a look in 

Completely biased, but we could do worse than call up Richard Tait as a potential right back.

He missed the game at the weekend with a stomach bug that was going through the squad, but otherwise fit and no worse (a low bar 😂 ) than other options in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

The guy has a full pre season under his belt and his been playing for Celtic and even starting, strange that Celtic would be playing a player that isnt fully fit in games, i just find it strange that a player who is our best player in that position isnt getting a look in 

Physically he might be ready, but perhaps mentally he needs eased back in gently. Celtic seem to have rested him too.

That’s what I’m reading between the lines...

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Completely biased, but we could do worse than call up Richard Tait as a potential right back.

He missed the game at the weekend with a stomach bug that was going through the squad, but otherwise fit and no worse (a low bar 😂 ) than other options in my opinion.

He's nae worse than O'Donnell... But that's not a compliment 🤣

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Can anyone think of a less inspiring Scotland squad for key competitive games than this one?

Possibly Berti's first squad for the Faroes game (and we had a semi-decent central defence in those days, on paper anyway).

The midfield looks decent but the goalkeepers and the defence (Robertson excepted) .... :worried:

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Remember when people used to slag Alan Hutton on here? 

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Physically he might be ready, but perhaps mentally he needs eased back in gently. Celtic seem to have rested him too.

That’s what I’m reading between the lines...

Aye, if he was playing most weeks I'd be a bit miffed too. Obviously easing him in gently and Clarke seems to be following suit. Be surprised if he's not in the next squad.

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

He's nae worse than O'Donnell... But that's not a compliment 🤣

Aye, feel “he’s no worse” is a pretty sad state of affairs, but alternatives are a mediocre midfielder and O’Donnell who has mostly looked out his depth.

Has Grimshaw got a Scottish granny?

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Possibly Berti's first squad for the Faroes game (and we had a semi-decent central defence in those days, on paper anyway).

With the benefit of hindsight perhaps, at thetime I'm not so sure.  Outwith the fact that that squad had Lambert, Ferguson, Weir and Dailly in it, at the time I recall it being looked at as a new manager, new generation of players and at that point it wasn't really apparent that that new generation of players would - in the main - turn out to be duds.

One goalkeeper who is no better than OK, two backups from the English 3rd Division, A defence that with the exception of the captain would put shivers down your spine.  Midfield looks reasonable all things being equal.  

Number of goals so far this season from the forwards so far this season - not including Russell - 3.   Russell has scored 8 goals so far this season, which would be great if he was only 1 month into his season and not 6.

Is it just me that's thinking our centre-backs that we've picked for this squad after injuries to our regulars are actually an improvement on the status quo? Arguably Hanley has ran his course internationally having been maligned in the past but if he's starting week in week out in the PL as Captian - in addition Cooper who'd been the Leeds Captain for a while now, makes me wonder why we were picking the likes of Devlin, McKenna, Bates, Findlay in the first place.

Midfield is cracking like we knew it would be. And as usual we look kind of light on options up top.

All that said I'm actually reasonably pleased with the squad.

57 minutes ago, aaid said:

With the benefit of hindsight perhaps, at thetime I'm not so sure.  Outwith the fact that that squad had Lambert, Ferguson, Weir and Dailly in it, at the time I recall it being looked at as a new manager, new generation of players and at that point it wasn't really apparent that that new generation of players would - in the main - turn out to be duds.

One goalkeeper who is no better than OK, two backups from the English 3rd Division, A defence that with the exception of the captain would put shivers down your spine.  Midfield looks reasonable all things being equal.  

Number of goals so far this season from the forwards so far this season - not including Russell - 3.   Russell has scored 8 goals so far this season, which would be great if he was only 1 month into his season and not 6.

So far this season McBurnie this season has scored a goal for every 90 minutes he has played so far this season :P

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

So far this season McBurnie this season has scored a goal for every 90 minutes he has played so far this season :P

1 in 1 is a great ratio, not so great if you've only played one game though.

2 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

“[Griffiths] was close,” Clarke said. “Leigh has got some fantastic attributes. I just look at him just now and he’s come a long way in a short space of time after a very difficult spell in his life.

“And I feel we should just give him a little more time to settle into the role again at Celtic and get himself fully fit and firing. And a fully fit and firing, sharp Leigh Griffiths will always be good for us.

“But at the moment I just feel it’s a little bit too early to push him.

He’s currently warming the bench at Celtic Park so it’s not that much of a shock. 

I think the player and his club also had some input into it as well from what I was reading yesterday so I don’t think it was a case of Clarke just leaving him out. 

I think that if it looks uninspiring it's (mainly) because of injuries. I'm fine with Souttar and McKenna as the long term partnership with the hope of younger players coming through. I'm also very fine if Tierney can adapt to CB or RB.

The midfield choice of Forrest, McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Christie, Fraser, Armstrong, Snodgrass, Jack and Cairney is almost exciting. A striker who can hold up the ball for those will create goals. 

The frustration is always the same though as we cannot ever field a settled team.

I'll get it in the neck for this but I'd play Phillips up front.

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I reckon that's the Scotland career of Steven Fletcher finished. I am guessing Clarke wasnt too happy with the manner of him declaring unfit then playing for Wednesday two days later. Goals are going to come from midfield with this squad or a penalty. 

The strikers in the squad can score goals. If our midfield and full backs can provide McBurnie (or whoever starts against Russia) decent service then he can score. 

Belgium will be another matter of course. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The strikers in the squad can score goals. If our midfield and full backs can provide McBurnie (or whoever starts against Russia) decent service then he can score. 

Belgium will be another matter of course. 

I agree with this. 

Personally I'd play Forrest, mcginn, mctominey, christie and fraser. 

I'd have no problem if  snoddy came in for any of middle three

These matches will come down to whether we can defend or not. The defence will be a back four who have never played together 🙈

Edited by vanderark14

3 hours ago, andyD said:

The loss of center backs does look to have hurt us badly. It's pretty freakish..

McKenna, Souttar and Findlay all injured at the same time.
Bates sat on the bench (when he's even in the squad) at Wednesday, with no prospect of a game any time soon.
Tierney out injured, so we can't even use him as cover in the middle.
Liam Linsday now at stoke, but stuffed into a back 3 and getting wrecked every week.

It's a huge problem.

I reckon Clarke would have played Mulgrew with either Souttar or McKenna had one or both been fit. 

He will probably end up playing Mulgrew and Cooper who is (allegedly) playing at a higher level than Souttar or McKenna so I don’t think we’re any worse off. 

Unless another CB gets injured of course.