Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

24 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Jack is more competent at right back than O'Donnell in my opinion... He's played there many times 

Fair play, I'll admit to not seeing much of Jack at RB so your opinion may be spot on! 

I reckon that's the Scotland career of Steven Fletcher finished. I am guessing Clarke wasnt too happy with the manner of him declaring unfit then playing for Wednesday two days later. Goals are going to come from midfield with this squad or a penalty. 

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I reckon that's the Scotland career of Steven Fletcher finished. I am guessing Clarke wasnt too happy with the manner of him declaring unfit then playing for Wednesday two days later. Goals are going to come from midfield with this squad or a penalty. 

Aye after the recent interview where he said he had a decision to make I think we can conclude he’s retired.

31 minutes ago, daviebee said:

In place of who though?  Not sure he's better than his Celtic teammate or 2 guys from the EPL.

Christie’s runs in behind will give us a different dimension in attack. The build up to Forrest’s second goal against Israel is a great example.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Jack is more competent at right back than O'Donnell in my opinion... He's played there many times 

He may have played there many times but he wasnt very good at right back

48 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Craig MacGillivray???  Never heard of the guy.  That's one out of left field!  Quick look at Wikipedia - born in Perthshire, now 26 and has spent his career dossing around the lower reaches of English fitba.  Can't say that fills me with any great confidence even for a 3rd choice.  Surely we've got somebody better than that?!

'never heard of the guy'... 'surely we've got someone better than that?' 

Fucking hell man 🤣

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

Unfortunately neither is Odonnell or Palmer... Jack is comfortably a better footballer than both of these guys

As a midfielder he is yes but as a right back, a position hes not played for years hes likely just as pish as o'Donnell and palmer

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Unfortunately neither is Odonnell or Palmer... Jack is comfortably a better footballer than both of these guys

Agreed....and the one time he did play for Scotland at right back he did pretty well. That was against Memphis Depay who is no bad, if I remember rightly.....??

3 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Agreed....and the one time he did play for Scotland at right back he did pretty well. That was against Memphis Depay who is no bad, if I remember rightly.....??

Ignore, I remember now.

Edited by vanderark14

3 minutes ago, andyD said:

Aye, and Depay only scored the once..

Ayeeee but not necessarily his fault. Depay is a top quality player, and Jack kept him well shackled the majority of the game. For me he’s a more solid option than O’Donnell.

O'Donnell and Palmer are both perfectly fine at right back. People pick on them because they think they're from 'diddy teams'. No one can actually point at anything significant they they're done wrong.

Our weakness is central defense and it's link with central midfield, and it has been for a decade or more.

And that hasn't changed in this squad. We have 3 centerbacks out injured. We're going to go into these qualifiers with a pairing that's never been tried and at least one of the back 2 not having barely played international football in 3 years, ot never having played it at all. Combine that with a problem position in defensive mid, with the question of who plays along side McTominay.. We have a long list of players who all have their downsides for playing there.

But some types would rather just blame the right backs before a ball is kicked, and probably will after even if they do nothing wrong. Hiding to nothing for both of them isnt it.

Kinda sad that some on here can be so blinkered as to say "i like him, i dinnae like him, so ill have a go at one and ignore the failings of the other."

3 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Clarke has said its too early for Griffiths which is a load of shite 

Did clarke elaborate?

Griffiths has been playing and scored for celtic.

With him in the team weve always a chance of a goal with Fraser and Forrest. 

Naismith is injured and he got a call up. 

1 minute ago, andyD said:

O'Donnell and Palmer are both perfectly fine at right back. People pick on them because they think they're from 'diddy teams'. No one can actually point at anything significant they they're done wrong.

Our weakness is central defense and it's link with central midfield, and it has been for a decade or more.

And that hasn't changed in this squad. We have 3 centerbacks out injured. We're going to go into these qualifiers with a pairing that's never been tried and at least one of the back 2 not having barely played international football in 3 years, ot never having played it at all. Combine that with a problem position in defensive mid, with the question of who plays along side McTominay.. We have a long list of players who all have their downsides for playing there.

But some types would rather just blame the right backs before a ball is kicked, and probably will after even if they do nothing wrong. Hiding to nothing for both of them isnt it.

Kinda sad that some on here can be so blinkered as to say "i like him, i dinnae like him, so ill have a go at one and ignore the failings of the other."

Sheffield Wednesday are a Diddy team? Jeezo, theyre oot in force the day. 

I'm more than happy for Diddy teams players to be called up... In fact, I'm more than happy Taylor has been called up from the same club as SOD

... So in fact it's heehaw to do with the club, it's the fact he's utter shite and as slow as fuck

3 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Ayeeee but not necessarily his fault. Depay is a top quality player, and Jack kept him well shackled the majority of the game. For me he’s a more solid option than O’Donnell.

Why's that? It's 'just a feeling', aye?

You reckon a guy who's barely played right back in years, will be better than a guy who plays there all the time and's not done much wrong in the 9 internationals he's played in.

Why is that? It's your imaginary fear of O'Donnell or Palmer doing something wrong (which they haven't yet) fighting with your imagination of how imperious Jack must be at right back, were he hasn't played even semi-regularly since 2012.

Like, i can't control your imagination, but you should probably give it a go.

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Sheffield Wednesday are a Diddy team? Jeezo, theyre oot in force the day. 

I'm more than happy for Diddy teams players to be called up... In fact, I'm more than happy Taylor has been called up from the same club as SOD

... So in fact it's heehaw to do with the club, it's the fact he's utter shite and as slow as fuck

They're the team i support.. and yeah, we're diddy these days. Going on 20 years out of the Premier League.. Just an average championship side, who hope to get lucky every season. Spent zero money this summer and heading into September without a manger. If we do well we'll finsih be above Bristol City and Preston North End.

Can you point my at something O'Donnell or Palmer have done wrong in any of their 10 caps?
Or are you just "Jack's great, they suck" that's how it is.

9 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Clarke has said its too early for Griffiths which is a load of shite 

If Clarke thinks it’s best not to rush a guy who is being eased back into club football after being out with serious mental health issues then I hardly see how that is a load of shite.

Just now, Rab The Crab said:

If Clarke thinks it’s best not to rush a guy who is being eased back into club football after being out with serious mental health issues then I hardly see how that is a load of shite.

Exactly. The the interivew, I took it that Clarke had talked to Griff.. and it was a case of just let him get his feet back under him, and not throw him into the high pressure cauldron of a vital qualifier with Russia.

Seems like great man management to me, much like when Rodgers gave Griff the leave of absence in the first place.

Was optimistic when Clarke took over and still think he's a good manager but it's pissing in the wind here. The centre backs/ keeper and upfront areas just aren't there at the moment for against this upcoming opposition. Play offs, all or nothing ultimately.