Unpopular Opinions - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions

I can’t find the other thread so I’ll start a new one. What opinions do you hold that produce shock around the dinner table and in the boozer.

I’ll kick things off

• Pigs in Blankets; They are an adequate inclusion in the standard Christmas dinner but the way everyone goes on and on and on about them confuses the life out of me

• Sean Connery's a wanker

• Christmas; I don’t mind the build up and preparation. I also quite enjoy hearing Christmas songs in shops and on the radio but Christmas Day itself, after you’ve seen bairns faces in the morning has got to be the most boring thing in the world

• Paul McCartney’s solo stuff is pish. It’s not even as good as pish when compared alongside Dode Harrison’s solo work

24 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I can’t find the other thread so I’ll start a new one. What opinions do you hold that produce shock around the dinner table and in the boozer.

I’ll kick things off

• Pigs in Blankets; They are an adequate inclusion in the standard Christmas dinner but the way everyone goes on and on and on about them confuses the life out of me

• Sean Connery's a wanker

• Christmas; I don’t mind the build up and preparation. I also quite enjoy hearing Christmas songs in shops and on the radio but Christmas Day itself, after you’ve seen bairns faces in the morning has got to be the most boring thing in the world

• Paul McCartney’s solo stuff is pish. It’s not even as good as pish when compared alongside Dode Harrison’s solo work

That I really value your opinion.

😉

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I don't agree with all of the above but know plenty of folk who would, so not sure if they are unpopular opinions at all? :unsure:

Aye, the residents of Leith must have changed a lot if that's the kind of stuff that "shocks" folk round the "dinner table", these days.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

With you on this one. My old Mum looked aghast when I informed her of a few unsavoury facts about one of her historic heroes.

When you look at the official history of Churchill versus who he was you see how history is a lie. This guy we are told is one the greatest British heroes of all time.... What does that say about the rest of what people are told.

History is a lie is also a very unpopular opinion. 

Edited by thplinth

23 minutes ago, thplinth said:

When you look at the official history of Churchill versus who he was you see how history is a lie. This guy we are told is one the greatest British heroes of all time.... What does that say about the rest of what people are told.

History is a lie is also a very unpopular opinion. 

My Gran and her big sister agrees, seems a lot of folk who were about when he was about think differently than the official hagiography. Wanted to shoot strikers and went down to watch himself.

It depends a bit whose dinner table it is, but...

• I voted for Brexit & would again (that's what comes of reading too much Tony Benn)
  • Apart from real ale & decent whisky, alcohol is a waste of money. Wine is just vinegar that gets you ratted & most spirits are undrinkable.
  • The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
  • Isaac Mbenza does actually know how to play football.

Guest faircity
4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

I’d agree with that. 😳😳. That thing with the top and CAT boots 🙈 Dearie me. 

Only minks wear CAT boots surely? 

2 hours ago, phart said:

My Gran and her big sister agrees, seems a lot of folk who were about when he was about think differently than the official hagiography. Wanted to shoot strikers and went down to watch himself.

The Goons and to a lesser extent (because they made a couple of good films) Monty Python were shite

As for Churchill there is a dilemma

Weighted against his heinous Imperialist/Colonialist acts and occasional strategic folly is his "leadership" during WWII

It's arguable with the alternative politicians available at the time we could have folded or took other actions of appeasement resulting in disastrous consequences.

My Dad who is 87 has also stated he wasnt liked

Edited by Ally Bongo

Elvis was no better than an X factor winner. Couldn't write a tune, couldn't play a tune. Just a singer.

Whisky is funkin disgusting. Tastes of burnt plastic. Only drinkable if you add cola to it.

Everybody should put their TV in the bin and stop paying the TV licence. After about a month of panic the licence will be abolished and there will be free tv's for all.

1.  If you believe that fairy tale Stuart McCall likes tell about deliberately taking to long to do up his bootlaces for England U21s so he could play for his truly beloved Scotland - then you a gullible fecking idiot who would believe anything. Want to buy some magic beans ?
  2. The SNP should chuck Alex Neil and John Mason out the party. Two massive liabilities. I'm definitely not the only SNP supporter who cringes everytime those two clowns are back in the papers. 
  3. Bin the Scottish regiments. 
  4. I used to love Scott Brown but the last couple of years have made me change that opinion to "what a horrible, grade one kunt he is".
  5. Having a couple of B Internationals every two or three years would be a good thing but unfortunately no one wants to play them anymore.
  6. The Celtic Cup should be brought back as competition for the Under 20 teams and played every two years.
  7. We should be play the occasional game against the national teams of Catalonia, Euskadi, Galicia, Brittany, Corsica
  8. Sink the Queen Mary. Recently I read a couple of articles about the Queen Mary at Long Beach, California and how it's leaking, rotting and falling to bits all over thanks to years of neglect and shoddy maintenance service. The taxpayers in that part of the world are going to have to pay several million dollars every year now to keep it afloat and serviced. It's a truly beautiful (Scottish) ship and was a great symbol of hope for many in on Clydeside during the depression but to see it in such a terrible condition, really it would be more dignified to just tow it out to deep water and sink it as an artificial reef.