Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

27 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Just talking about the English U23 League's, we actually have a lot of talented players under the age of 23, not just in those league's but others as well. I wonder what our team would look like fielding a team based entirely on Under 23s. I've given it a quick go so here is my team, anyone else think if some talented players we have under 23.

McCrorie.

McCrorie.    Souttar.   McKenna.   Tierney

McTominay

Henderson.         Gilmour

Burke.                                           Johnston

McBurnie

I've said it before but im really concerned about our long term GK position in a few years Marshall, Gordon and McGregor will all be gone and theres no-one that you see coming through that is going to be at the same level 

The best one looks like Archer to me but i cant see him getting close to the aforementioned 3 level 

I think we have been really spoilt at GK for the last 15 years and we may have a tough few years coming up 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

I've said it before but im really concerned about our long term GK position in a few years Marshall, Gordon and McGregor will all be gone and theres no-one that you see coming through that is going to be at the same level 

The best one looks like Archer to me but i cant see him getting close to the aforementioned 3 level 

I think we have been really spoilt at GK for the last 15 years and we may have a tough few years coming up 

From what I’ve seen and heard,  McRorie is highly promising.

I agree but in international football you seem to go through these cycles. We were well equipped in the 1990s with the likes of Leighton and Goram and then went through a lean spell before the current crop burst on the scene just over a decade ago. As you say I see no one ripping up any trees outside Marshall, Gordon and McGregor but all we can hope is where we may get weaker in that department in other areas we will get stronger.

Who do we have coming through? I like the look of McCrorie. Any Ayr United fans know how young Ross Doohan isvdoing on loan there? They two seem to be our best U21 Keepers

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree but in international football you seem to go through these cycles. We were well equipped in the 1990s with the likes of Leighton and Goram and then went through a lean spell before the current crop burst on the scene just over a decade ago. As you say I see no one ripping up any trees outside Marshall, Gordon and McGregor but all we can hope is where we may get weaker in that department in other areas we will get stronger.

41 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Who do we have coming through? I like the look of McCrorie. Any Ayr United fans know how young Ross Doohan isvdoing on loan there? They two seem to be our best U21 Keepers

I was hopeful of young Ryan Fulton and Jack Ruddy down south at Liv and Wolves a couple of seasons ago.

However Fulton moved to Hamilton and cant get a game & Ruddy went on loan to Oldham and Ayr and didnt get much game time 

Hopefully someone out of the blue will appear 

I was hopeful of young Ryan Fulton and Jack Ruddy down south at Liv and Wolves a couple of seasons ago.

However Fulton moved to Hamilton and cant get a game & Ruddy went on loan to Oldham and Ayr and didnt get much game time 

Hopefully someone out of the blue will appear 

Fulton's 22, he's got time, played 7 games last season and kept a clean sheet in the cup last month.
Ruddy's only 20.. but still played 90 minutes 18 times last season.
So they're both developing, and are probably well placed for the future.
Expecting them to be instant stars by 20 and 22 is asking a bit much.

As for other keepers..

Gordon and McGregor probably still have a year or two left.
When Gordon does retire, you'd think Bain becomes Celtic's number one and he's only 26 atm.
Meanwhile McLaughlin (30) did ok in the Mexico game and should be in the English Championship next season.
Archer.. will find it hard to recover from his mistake probably. It tought o get trust back, as Karius is finding out. But at 25, he's got time too.

I don't think we're at a point with our goalkeepers where we're desperate for a 20 year old star to emerge. We're covered for now with players who are reliable enough that we're likely to still be complaining about other areas of the pitch.

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Ross Doohan is doing fine, I've been really impressed by him so far. He's quietly doing his job and against Dundee he had 2 excellent saves when it was 0-0. From what I've seen Doohan could certainly step up a level or 2 and it wouldn't really faze him. Another player who I like the look of is Daniel Harvie and of course Laurence Shankland

I'm not a fan of James McArthur. He's had so many chances and usually turns up looking like he's wearing lead boots and does everything in slow motion.

But.. Watching Palace Liverpool last night.. he was actually pretty good. Better than I've seen him in a long time. Worked back, got forward, retained possession well, showed some close control to get out of situations and had a wee dribble that almost won a pen.

Much better from him imo. He's still not a starter for me.. McTominay and McGregor seems set, with one of Armstrong or Cairney.. but McAuthur is not far behind them, along with Shinnie, McGinn and McDonald in my mind. Jack, Fleck, Bannan and Paterson another step down from there.

22 hours ago, borojock said:

I had a look on Karamoko's Wiki and did a little google research (granted not all is probably correct that i read) and the England connection is very limited

• Parents both from Ivory Coast so no strong parental history or connection with England
  • Was born in England but moved up to Scotland at age 1 (again this is if wiki is correct) so didn't spend much time in England and probably has no memories or roots in the country
  • Grew up and developed in Scotland at a Scottish club 

I wonder why, it seems, he is so keen on playing for England i cant see the connection. I wonder if its something being pushed by agent or nike?  

This is where I lose interest in International fitba'...fighting over a 15 year old, who will clearly do what he or his advisors think is best for his career. What a fucking situation for us to get ourselves into, and I place the blame firmly at FIFAs door with the ridiculous eligibility rules

As for the attempt above to try and understand why he'd pick England over us, when he only had 5mins in England compared to being brought up here and schooled etc, I'd suggest that fitba' players do some strange things at times, just ask James McCarthy and that other wee rat McGeady

12 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

First time I’ve had a proper look at McBurnie tonight, very raw and very ungainly but he’s got goals in him.

He's a pest. Works hard and causes problems. He can score at that level. The big question is whether he can do it at international level. He's still quite inexperienced at club level. 

I quite like him. 

32 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's a pest. Works hard and causes problems. He can score at that level. The big question is whether he can do it at international level. He's still quite inexperienced at club level. 

I quite like him. 

Every time I have seen him play for Scotland (at various levels) I just do not see the player we keep hearing about at club level, as he just looks to Bambi-ish and out of his depth, yet showed in the Mexico game there is a player there and just needs to settle in.

At the moment I just think he is not ready for being made the teams main striker, but if his club form continues he will certainly force his way into the team.

Gut feeling is Griffiths will start as first choice striker, but Matt Phillips and McBurnie early season form might just see one (if not both) of them going into the team at the expense of Griffiths.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:17 AM, bazmidd said:

I've been very impressed with Doohan.  Looks confident, has made some good saves and has pretty good distribution from what i've seen.  He has played 8 games and is still to concede a goal from open play - let in a direct free kick 15 or so mins in to his Debut against Morton and hasn't conceded a goal since - a clean sheet on Saturday against Dunfermline would make him the joint club record holder for consecutive clean sheets, going back to the 1920's I think. 

Certainly seems well ahead of Ruddy who was here last season.

Edited by hursty

2 minutes ago, hursty said:

I've been very impressed with Doohan.  Looks confident, has made some good saves and has pretty good distribution from what i've seen.  He has played 8 games and is still to concede a goal from open play - let in a direct free kick 15 or so mins in to his Debut against Morton and hasn't conceded a goal since - a clean sheet on Saturday against Dunfermline would make him the joint club record holder for consecutive clean sheets, going back to the 1920's I think. 

That sounds very promising, let's hope he doesn't get that record on Saturday though! Cmon ye Pars! 

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Every time I have seen him play for Scotland (at various levels) I just do not see the player we keep hearing about at club level, as he just looks to Bambi-ish and out of his depth, yet showed in the Mexico game there is a player there and just needs to settle in.

At the moment I just think he is not ready for being made the teams main striker, but if his club form continues he will certainly force his way into the team.

Gut feeling is Griffiths will start as first choice striker, but Matt Phillips and McBurnie early season form might just see one (if not both) of them going into the team at the expense of Griffiths.

I honestly think people look at his physique and imagine the rest without watching. His taking the ball into feet following heavy passes has looked excellent in his Scotland games. He’s neat and tidy - none of yir Bambi nonsense! 

22 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

2 goals so far for McBurnie tonight. Second goal was a belter of a header. 

Yep more impressed each time I see him, works his arse off too

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Looking forward to seeing McGinn tonight on the TV for Villa.

Same hopefully another good performance

On 8/21/2018 at 1:00 PM, ONeils4oyarder said:

This is where I lose interest in International fitba'...fighting over a 15 year old, who will clearly do what he or his advisors think is best for his career. What a fucking situation for us to get ourselves into, and I place the blame firmly at FIFAs door with the ridiculous eligibility rules

As for the attempt above to try and understand why he'd pick England over us, when he only had 5mins in England compared to being brought up here and schooled etc, I'd suggest that fitba' players do some strange things at times, just ask James McCarthy and that other wee rat McGeady

This