Scottish player transfers - Page 163 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

6 hours ago, syecosse said:

From what i understand Karamoko Dembele has been injured all season and is out of contract in the summer, I believe the boy Doak is also out of contract with Liverpool watching, which I believe is why they  may give him game time to try and keep him, but like someone says they have bought in a load of players from elsewhere so who knows if they will both get more game time going forward. 

Doak is not out of contract as such. He has not yet signed a professional contract. He is in effect playing as an amateur. I’m guessing Celtic are hoping he does  sign a contract and hoping giving him some exposure to first team football, after just turning 16, will help that. Same thing happened with Kerr Smith at DUFC and he stayed for a year then was sold. At least by doing that, a fee plus possible future sell on fee can be obtained rather than lose him for nothing.  

On 2/1/2022 at 7:40 AM, ProudScot said:

It’s questionable if he will even turn out to be a professional footballer let alone an international so I would doubt England are even keeping tabs on him anymore 

Agree with that. Nowadays, if you really want to push on with England, you have to be making real strides in your career at a pretty young age. Look how many players that are only a couple of years older than him are playing for the top English sides and are there or thereabouts in the main England squad, they have quite a few youngster nowadays.

Unfortunately for Celtic fans, he would never make the top England setup whilst still being in the SPFL, so it would have been in his (and his agent's mind) that a move elsewhere, would be needed, to pursue that international career, unfortunately for him, he got crocked. He is now in the final 6 months of his contract, so it'll be interesting to see what he decides to do

22 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

There are so many examples of players taking different routes into national teams. Including England. Yes, those players made their debuts early, but most don't. Plus, Owen and Rooney both burned out relatively early. So it's not necessarily a good thing. McFadden and D.Fletcher did the same.

Saying all that, it seems like Dembele is now further down the pecking order than 16 year old Ben Doak. So it's not looking all that promising at the moment for him at Celtic. 

Like I said, I'd never write anyone off at 19, but to get onto the England radar never mind into the squad at the moment is a high bar to meet.  Playing in his position - and this is just off the top of my head - England currently have the likes of Phil Foden, Conor Gallagher, Calum Hudson-Odoi, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith-Rowe, who aren't much older than Dembele and appear either regularly or semi-regularly in the EPL.  Given that England nowadays mass-produce talented players there are probably others I don't know about on the verge of breaking through too.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:32 AM, scotlad said:

Like I said, I'd never write anyone off at 19, but to get onto the England radar never mind into the squad at the moment is a high bar to meet.  Playing in his position - and this is just off the top of my head - England currently have the likes of Phil Foden, Conor Gallagher, Calum Hudson-Odoi, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith-Rowe, who aren't much older than Dembele and appear either regularly or semi-regularly in the EPL.  Given that England nowadays mass-produce talented players there are probably others I don't know about on the verge of breaking through too.

I wasn't really debating that Dembele might still have a shot for England. I'd be astounded if that happened. And I couldn't care less, really. I was more referring to his chances at Celtic, or as a professional footballer in general. He might end up being the next Feruz. Especially if he makes the wrong move. Or he could end up the next McGeady.

I'm not really fussed unless he pledges his allegiance to Scotland. And he's so far not done anything to indicate he could be a Scotland player except appearing in a Nike advert when he was 13 or something.

Edited by Tartan blood

On 2/2/2022 at 6:50 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Doak is not out of contract as such. He has not yet signed a professional contract. He is in effect playing as an amateur. I’m guessing Celtic are hoping he does  sign a contract and hoping giving him some exposure to first team football, after just turning 16, will help that. Same thing happened with Kerr Smith at DUFC and he stayed for a year then was sold. At least by doing that, a fee plus possible future sell on fee can be obtained rather than lose him for nothing.  

He might be eyeing up Gilmour's career and thinking he can do the same. If he has the same confidence (and ability) I'm all for him going to Liverpool or the likes.

Personally, I think he'd be better looking at Tierney's path and see that he can still end up at a big team, even if he does stay at Celtic for a few years. Especially now that he has actually played first team football.

Personally I don't see Dembele as Scottish, he's chosen his path for whatever reason and he is fully entitled to do that. If his decision was based on the right judgement and advice is another matter and any discussion on that if fully based on opinion. 

Looking at Instagram seems very happy in the English camp and good luck to him, made his decision and let him be. 

I also don't think he will make it to full international scene or will end up playing consistently at a high level in the domestic game so i don't think he would be any key loss. His height will be a hinderance to him he doesn't have the strength or skill to overcome that. I know some may shout at Messi, Xavi or Iniesta but he doesn't have their skill set or ability to overcome that challenge. 

I also dont think he would make it at Celtic, cant see him getting in their first 11 and at some point in time if he wants to live up to his potential he really needs first team games as according to Wiki only had 7 games and around 112 minutes. At 18 really need more than that i appreciate injuries but still needs to go out and get first team football for himself. 

To be honest i would be more interested in his brother than him 

He's chosen England good luck to him. 

Edited by borojock

9 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Disagree….. if you are indeed a different level of player, you should stick to yer guns and not drop down…… especially not to the Scottish championship.

He’s lucky if his level is the Scottish championship. League 1 could be more suitable, that’s maybe where he will end up when he’s inevitably released from Celtic. 

17 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Disagree….. if you are indeed a different level of player, you should stick to yer guns and not drop down…… especially not to the Scottish championship.

cut your nose off to spite your face comes to mind

I'll be honest dont know if he was injured or not last season but his decision to stay at celtic and fight for his place didnt really work out for him if he wasnt injured

In my very humble opinion i think at his age and level of first team experience it would be much better to go out and get some first team football experience at the highest level he could get 

18 hours ago, ger intae them said:

He hasn't shown anything in his career so far to justify him thinking he's above the Scottish championship. He should of went and performed well and shown hes too good for that level. 

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

How exactly does the loan system work? Say he moved to Partick Thistle, would that mean he played and trained with them and his parent club just observed.

In that case a move there would be madness for any player with any ambition. A part time club is currently 4 pts clear at the top of our championship ffs

Gothenburg were said to part-time but they beat a full-time Dundee United team (containing Scottish internationals) in the final of the UEFA Cup in 1987. Let's face it, full-time football for some can be two hours training and then into the bookies. International rugby teams used to be amateur but they still seemed to have more athleticism (and more courage) than anything you would see from full-time footballers.

If a club is looking for a loan move for a player, it's because they think the experience will make him a better player. If the player thinks he's too good to go on loan to a diddy team then he's an arse. Davie Dodds went on loan to Arbroath in the early 1980s before going on to play for Scotland (and be an integral part of a Dundee United team that won the league).

18 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

How exactly does the loan system work? Say he moved to Partick Thistle, would that mean he played and trained with them and his parent club just observed.

In that case a move there would be madness for any player with any ambition. A part time club is currently 4 pts clear at the top of our championship ffs

Why would it be madness? He'd gain experience of playing competitive senior football in front of crowds (restrictions notwithstanding). That's surely a better learning experience than kicking around in the reserves at Celtic.

Plus, if said player is as good as he thinks he is, he'd surely stand out like a sore thumb in the Championship.

43 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Have any Scotland players gone to the championship in Scotland on loan?

I can only think of mckenna to Ayr. 

Anyone else? 

Alan McGregor at St Johnstone i believe

Anthony Ralston had a spell there recently (if you count him as a Scotland player, based on No. of appearances)

I remember being excited about seeing Dembele when he got 45 minutes against Hearts but Hickey totally outshone him.

I’d got it in my head that was in the cup final but from Wiki it was the week before in the league so not sure why I was even watching it to be honest but just remember realising Hickey looked a better prospect than he did at that point in their development.   

52 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Michael Rose Coventry seems to have some interest from prem sides Burnley and Southampton this is on twitter so not sure how true this is, Dom Hyam also at Coventry was in Championship team of the week at the weekend.

Those two have went under the radar a little bit but they seem to be doing well and could maybe be worth a call up in the future. Would be good to see another centre back in the English top flight. 

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Those two have went under the radar a little bit but they seem to be doing well and could maybe be worth a call up in the future. Would be good to see another centre back in the English top flight. 

Yeah read an article recently saying that that Scotland had a scout watch them and Todd kane also, Hyam was part of a load of Reading lads called up youth levels for Scotland which also have a couple of decent players that could feature in the future, Tom Mcintyre has just returned from long term injury and was doing well before the injury at Reading, Jordan Holsgrove has featured for the first team of Celta Vigo, seems to be the stand out player in the Spanish 3rd division for there B team also read Real Zaragoza tried to get him in transfer window.