Scottish player transfers - Page 165 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No its not shifting the argument. Their recent history of struggles is reason to avoid and is one of the reasons I'd prefer him not to transfer there as I have stated. In any case I think this is pure media speculation. I'd be surprised if Hickey were to make this move over a move to Milan. He has shown he is ambitious and aiming for the top and Milan certainly are better placed to offer that at present with Champions League football waiting and push for league titles. Newcastle are not at that level either domestically or on the European front yet.

Newcastle will have very high ambitions too and they've got the cash to realise these ambitions. If they hadn't been bought by Saudi cash, I would agree with you but his is a new era for them

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Newcastle will have very high ambitions too and they've got the cash to realise these ambitions. If they hadn't been bought by Saudi cash, I would agree with you but his is a new era for them

I've lost track of the ins and outs so might be havering shite but I think EU players need visas now on the same criteria as non-EU so Hickey would avoid that.  Probably only a small part of it for Newcastle as they'll be spunking money on full internationals but can see more Championship clubs taking young Scottish players to fill up their squads which should hopefully be beneficial longer term.  

It appears that every move Hickey has made in his career has been with a view to getting time on the pitch: Celtic youths back to Hearts, Bologna over Bayern. Wherever he moves - if he does move this summer - I would bet on him being more attracted to a place he feels will advance his ability rather than simply moving for money.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

The daily record is reporting Rangers are keen on Sunderland's Riss Stewart. 

Might be the type of player Rangers need as backup to Moreles. 

Not seen alot of him though so im presuming that he is abit more physical than the likes of Roofe, Itten, Salkala and Defoe

20 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Might be the type of player Rangers need as backup to Moreles. 

Not seen alot of him though so im presuming that he is abit more physical than the likes of Roofe, Itten, Salkala and Defoe

Did Defoe not retire?

It would be great to have a Scottish striker playing regularly for one of the two again. Who was the last? Kenny Miller probably the last true regular out and out striker?

For Stewart the added visibility/profile of playing for Rangers plus the chance of working with Roy Makaay might be a big draw, but I would be concerned he would be 3rd/4th choice and another potential Scotland option might be lost. Rangers by all accounts appear to have some cracking youth prospects in their system too, so to be honest I think it would be better for Scotland on both counts if this doesn't happen.

Having said that, if he was to become a first team regular there I would be delighted.

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Did Defoe not retire?

It would be great to have a Scottish striker playing regularly for one of the two again. Who was the last? Kenny Miller probably the last true regular out and out striker?

For Stewart the added visibility/profile of playing for Rangers plus the chance of working with Roy Makaay might be a big draw, but I would be concerned he would be 3rd/4th choice and another potential Scotland option might be lost. Rangers by all accounts appear to have some cracking youth prospects in their system too, so to be honest I think it would be better for Scotland on both counts if this doesn't happen.

Having said that, if he was to become a first team regular there I would be delighted.

Defoe did retire. I was just talking about the type of strikers Rangers have had since Moreles signed. None of them have been similar in style to Moreles.

They have either been penalty box players like Roofe, Itten and Defoe or more pacey like Sakala.

Imo Rangers need a strong physical striker as backup to Moreles or even to put on as a plan B when team sit really deep. Not sure if Stewart fits that mould or not.

Rangers have a really exciting youth striker, Wilson but I think he will move south before any real chances in the 1st team. Much like Doak at Celtic going to Liverpool.

Rangers attitude to youth is shocking. I cant for the life of me think why Scott Wright would get on last night before somebody like Alex Lowry. Wright has pace but does nothing with it. Lowrys compsure and abilty on the ball is much more like Ramsey who was coming off. No surprise to me that Rangers loat control of the game when Wright came on.

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Defoe did retire. I was just talking about the type of strikers Rangers have had since Moreles signed. None of them have been similar in style to Moreles.

They have either been penalty box players like Roofe, Itten and Defoe or more pacey like Sakala.

Imo Rangers need a strong physical striker as backup to Moreles or even to put on as a plan B when team sit really deep. Not sure if Stewart fits that mould or not.

Rangers have a really exciting youth striker, Wilson but I think he will move south before any real chances in the 1st team. Much like Doak at Celtic going to Liverpool.

Rangers attitude to youth is shocking. I cant for the life of me think why Scott Wright would get on last night before somebody like Alex Lowry. Wright has pace but does nothing with it. Lowrys compsure and abilty on the ball is much more like Ramsey who was coming off. No surprise to me that Rangers loat control of the game when Wright came on.

It was Kamara more than Wright tbh. Kamara is the complete opposite player of Jack and it completely disjointed the midfield. 

You're right though it should have been Lowry over Wright. Much closer in style and role to Ramsey than Wright. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Far outshone by Callum McGregor in last week's Old Firm match.

he was, but Celtic outplayed rangers as a team so no surprise there.  They are different style of players and personally I prefer Jack but no doubt mcgregor is quality too.  I’d like to both go to a top English or European club and see how really good they are.

9 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It was Kamara more than Wright tbh. Kamara is the complete opposite player of Jack and it completely disjointed the midfield. 

You're right though it should have been Lowry over Wright. Much closer in style and role to Ramsey than Wright. 

Lowry had been injured recently but was named in the Euro squad.

Guest Scot1
On 4/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, romanticscot said:

I’d rather he played in a team where he’s the 1st choice striker. Hopefully he will either go up into the Championship with Sunderland or transfer to a decent/good Championship side. I think given the proper coaching and some time he can turn into a good, effective Centre Forward. He’s never going to be Ibrahimovic (same is true with Dykes), but with his  work rate, pace, physicality, technique (which can improve),  and his desire, he can I believe go on to play at a good level, I believe a mid to lower Premier league team is possible in a couple of seasons. He’s been stepping up in terms of quality/competition and hopefully he can continue to do so.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, romanticscot said:

Didn’t know Rangers were playing Sunderland soon, that’s the daily recs usual storyline 😜

20 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I’d rather he played in a team where he’s the 1st choice striker. Hopefully he will either go up into the Championship with Sunderland or transfer to a decent/good Championship side. I think given the proper coaching and some time he can turn into a good, effective Centre Forward. He’s never going to be Ibrahimovic (same is true with Dykes), but with his  work rate, pace, physicality, technique (which can improve),  and his desire, he can I believe go on to play at a good level, I believe a mid to lower Premier league team is possible in a couple of seasons. He’s been stepping up in terms of quality/competition and hopefully he can continue to do so.

Be very surprised if he gets anywere near the EPL. 

Gets a move to Rangers though and everyone one will think he's  brilliant. Same could apply to Oliver McBurnie. 

Supposing this is real, the only way he moves is if he has some assurances of first team football and he backs himself to make it happen. He is 25, and probably the type of player who runs on confidence and game time.

Guest Scot1
3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Be very surprised if he gets anywere near the EPL. 

Gets a move to Rangers though and everyone one will think he's  brilliant. Same could apply to Oliver McBurnie. 

If this article is accurate, then Norwich are also supposedly interested in him. Id think that Norwich will be one of the favourites to get automatic promotion next season from the Championship. 
But here’s a little thought. If I was Everton, I’d be looking at him. Why, because he will be relatively cheap, Dominic Calvin Lewis has been struggling with injuries all season. And Stewart can provide cover and competition. He will give 100% when asked. He can improve, especially, you’d think under Duncan Ferguson coaching him. Rondon, their 2nd Striker has scored 1 goal in 15 appearances in the league, 0 assists and he is 32/33 years old. 

Edited by Scot1

Guest Scot1
2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Supposing this is real, the only way he moves is if he has some assurances of first team football and he backs himself to make it happen. He is 25, and probably the type of player who runs on confidence and game time.

I’d imagine that his self-belief/confidence is high. He’s went from Junior football to lower league football to Ross County to Sunderland, and has made the step up each time. He’s been called up for international duty, although he didn’t get on the pitch, and is now being linked with moves to clubs in the Championship.

33 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Newcastle meant to be after Alex Lowry. Both from a Rangers perspective and a Scotland perspective I'd prefer it if he stayed. I think he would have more chance of game time over the next couple of seasons than at St James Park.

I cant see him getting much game time for Rangers. He came in, got motm in the cup game. Got understandably put back on the bench for the next game when the 1st team players came back but got on after 8 mins when Hagi got injured. Got motm again and has pretty much not been used since in any meaningful capacity.

Id rather he went to a club where 1st team football was a possibility. Almost like Hickey where he wasnt auto 1st pick but it was certainly possible.

If he isnt going to get regular game time id rather that was at Newcastle than Rangers though.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Newcastle meant to be after Alex Lowry. Both from a Rangers perspective and a Scotland perspective I'd prefer it if he stayed. I think he would have more chance of game time over the next couple of seasons than at St James Park.

Honestly think he would have a better chance of game time at Newcastle

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

You have to wonder what the strategy is at Rangers. They spend all that money developing who look to be top class youth prospects and then rarely play them. I could understand if they were guff but they patently aren't. These things need to be balanced in the interests of the development of the player as well as wider squad considerations, but its not as if Rangers can point at a successful long term strategy of careful development minutes that has been successful.