Scottish player transfers - Page 167 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It would seem Alex Lowry is going nowhere:- 

"Alex Lowry signs new Rangers contract as he vows to repay Gio van Bronckhorst faith - Daily Record" https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-lowry-signs-new-rangers-26901108.amp

Just hope the lad gets games.

I've got a horrible feeling that over the next twelve months, Rangers will sign three or four midfielders for big money and block his path to the first team. Happy to be proved wrong though.

43 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I've got a horrible feeling that over the next twelve months, Rangers will sign three or four midfielders for big money and block his path to the first team. Happy to be proved wrong though.

You won't be proved wrong.  100% this is how it will unfold 😒

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yeah totally agree. It was ominous on the back of Lowry signing that Arfield resigned & if Rangers get champs league next season they will 100% sign big money foreign players. 

41 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah totally agree. It was ominous on the back of Lowry signing that Arfield resigned & if Rangers get champs league next season they will 100% sign big money foreign players. 

Can they be blamed though? They are doing what is the best for Rangers FC in getting the best possible players in.

It is highly hypocritical to criticize them for that and over-looking homegrown talent when Scotland fans on here do the same as in wanting us to pursue players with tenuous links to us over our homegrown Scots born and bred here purely because they see the tenuous linked players as better options.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Can they be blamed though? They are doing what is the best for Rangers FC in getting the best possible players in.

Club football just becomes a farce if the team loses its identity. Man Utd didn't have a single Englishman in their team yesterday. I can guarantee a lot of their fans would have been raging about that.

However, Gio has already signed Souttar, is giving Wright a surprising amount of game time, a new contract to Lowry, and has slotted Jack straight back into the first 11. So there are positive signs he will try to maintain a Scottish backbone. But we'll see.

Do not get me wrong if it were me I'd force all Scottish Premiership clubs to field squads for games with at least two home-grown players but apparently that is not legally possible. An ideal scenario would be for a club in Scotland to buck the trend and go all-out on promoting homegrown players in large numbers into their team and getting success from it - akin to what happened at Man. United in Fergie's early years but cannot see that happening.

It needs all of the up and coming youngsters to get first team football quick and impress to kick start their careers either getting them noticed by scouts from other clubs who buy them and then actually play them rather than have them stagnate in reserve team football or nail down a career at their home club where they were developed.

The good thing is, I'd say most definitely, scouts from around the world are taking a greater interest in young Scottish talent following the emergence of the likes of Aaron Hickey, Billy Gilmour, Nathan Patterson and now Ben Doak, Rory Wilson and Alex Lowry. That will surely increase chances of the young talent being spotted and scooped up by clubs from outwith Scotland.

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Do not get me wrong if it were me I'd force all Scottish Premiership clubs to field squads for games with at least two home-grown players but apparently that is not legally possible. An ideal scenario would be for a club in Scotland to buck the trend and go all-out on promoting homegrown players in large numbers into their team and getting success from it - akin to what happened at Man. United in Fergie's early years but cannot see that happening.

It needs all of the up and coming youngsters to get first team football quick and impress to kick start their careers either getting them noticed by scouts from other clubs who buy them and then actually play them rather than have them stagnate in reserve team football or nail down a career at their home club where they were developed.

The good thing is, I'd say most definitely, scouts from around the world are taking a greater interest in young Scottish talent following the emergence of the likes of Aaron Hickey, Billy Gilmour, Nathan Patterson and now Ben Doak, Rory Wilson and Alex Lowry. That will surely increase chances of the young talent being spotted and scooped up by clubs from outwith Scotland.

What makes you say it isn't legal? I'm fairly certain the EPL has a similar rule. Which is partly why so many of our young Scots are being signed before they are 18, to ensure they are treated as "home-grown". I don't see any reason why the SPFL can't be more strict on it.

On your other point, you could say Hibs tried something like that back in the early 2000s. Unfortunately every one of their assets were sold off before they had a chance to build something special. If I remember rightly, they had a squad of players over a 5-6 year period consisting of: S.Brown, K.Thomson, S.Fletcher, G.Caldwell, S.Whittaker, D.Riordan, G.O'Connor, I.Murray, K.Miller, P.Hartley, among others. Imagine they'd been able to keep all of those players. Unfortunately, they'll just be dismantled again.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

What makes you say it isn't legal? I'm fairly certain the EPL has a similar rule. Which is partly why so many of our young Scots are being signed before they are 18, to ensure they are treated as "home-grown". I don't see any reason why the SPFL can't be more strict on it.

On your other point, you could say Hibs tried something like that back in the early 2000s. Unfortunately every one of their assets were sold off before they had a chance to build something special. If I remember rightly, they had a squad of players over a 5-6 year period consisting of: S.Brown, K.Thomson, S.Fletcher, G.Caldwell, S.Whittaker, D.Riordan, G.O'Connor, I.Murray, K.Miller, P.Hartley, among others. Imagine they'd been able to keep all of those players. Unfortunately, they'll just be dismantled again.

Pretty sure I had read that such rules were around discrimination laws or nationalities cannot be discriminated against. It may be larger numbers of Scots in the side now that I think about it.

Yes I remember the Hibs side you mention and yes it was broken up before it could achieve anything. 

17 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

no matter who they sign, if he is good enough he will break through.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is highly hypocritical to criticize them for that and over-looking homegrown talent when Scotland fans on here do the same as in wanting us to pursue players with tenuous links to us over our homegrown Scots born and bred here purely because they see the tenuous linked players as better options.

I think Scotland fans on here just want us to persue the best players available.  Personally, I'd prefer it if all our players were homegrown too but if the "tenuous link" player is better then why wouldn't you pick him instead?

If Scottish clubs, particularly big Scottish clubs, better nurtured homegrown talent then perhaps the need to look further afield would reduce. 

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

I think Scotland fans on here just want us to persue the best players available.  Personally, I'd prefer it if all our players were homegrown too but if the "tenuous link" player is better then why wouldn't you pick him instead?

If Scottish clubs, particularly big Scottish clubs, better nurtured homegrown talent then perhaps the need to look further afield would reduce. 

The clubs are not at fault then. After all they are only doing what fans want - bringing the best players in. If that is detrimental to homegrown Scots sobeit - the fans (a portion of them) feel that way as well wanting non-Scots born players representing us over natural Scots if they are better.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Guest Scot1

One of the reasons why I’ve wanted the league expanded to at least 16 teams would be in the hope that more, young Scottish players got a chance to play 1st team football, especially at the end of the season when, for some teams, they are safe from relegation and the pressure is off, so to speak. 

Edited by Scot1

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The clubs are not at fault then. After all they are only doing what fans want - bringing the best players in. If that is detrimental to homegrown Scots sobeit - the fans (a portion of them) feel that way as well wanting non-Scots born players representing us over natural Scots if they are better.

I'm not saying they are "at fault" but how do you expect to have a successful national team if your club sides aren't producing enough good players?

The big difference between club and international football is of course that clubs have access to the transfer market; no such thing exists in international football, you're forced to go with what you've got.

The Old Firm (more so Rangers, in fairness) tend to prefer the quick-fix of bringing in established players (or - and this is more annoying - players who've failed to make the grade at academies from the big leagues) as opposed to developing their own talent. I can understand why - they're under pressure to win things - but so are clubs like Chelsea Liverpool and the Manchester teams, yet they seem to strike a balance between producing their own top class players for their first team - and, in turn, the English national team - as well as signing more established stars from abroad.

It shouldn't be beyond Celtic or Rangers to produce a forward as good as Che Adams or Jacob Brown, for instance.

23 hours ago, todd said:

You won't be proved wrong.  100% this is how it will unfold 😒

They have the former Ajax youth coach at Ibrox and Van Bronckurst has played youth so I wouldn’t be too sure. They would need to spend a very large amount of money to get someone as good as Lowry. 

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

‘What’s best for Rangers’ is subjective though. What’s best for Rangers could be argued to be blooding young talented players, building a team and selling them for vast profit ala Ajax rather than buying in a bunch of players who may or may not be good. There is zero chance of any team in Scotland buying a world class player. Both Rangers and Celtic have shown you can have one or more though if you concentrate of young prospects.

7 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Some papers reporting Calvin Ramsay to Liverpool. Obviously not going to get a sniff at their first team for a while with Alexander-Arnold ahead of him and not that much older than him.

Trent is about 5 years older than Ramsay. Wouldn’t be my top choice of destination for him as I doubt he will get significant gametime, but working for Klopp and deputising for one of the top right backs in the game isn’t the worst outcome.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae

Guest Scot1
14 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Trent is about 5 years older than Ramsay. Wouldn’t be my top choice of destination for him as I doubt he will get significant gametime, but working for Klopp and deputising for one of the top right backs in the game isn’t the worst outcome.

Edit: spelling

You’d imagine if Ramsey went to Liverpool or another massive club he’d be loaned out to get game time, probably in the English Championship. Wouldn’t surprise me if Celtic put a bid in for him. 

19 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Some papers reporting Calvin Ramsay to Liverpool. Obviously not going to get a sniff at their first team for a while with Alexander-Arnold ahead of him and not that much older than him.

Hopefully he goes to a stepping stone club like Andy Robertson did & probably what Nathan Patterson has just done.

Cant see him getting much game time at Liverpool although he will be learning off maybe the best right back in the world, so that’s not bad. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully he goes to a stepping stone club like Andy Robertson did & probably what Nathan Patterson has just done.

Cant see him getting much game time at Liverpool although he will be learning off maybe the best right back in the world, so that’s not bad. 

Fingers crossed for Ramsay but, let's face it, this could backfire spectacularly. Liverpool are not paying £4m for a first-team player.