The Brexit Thread - Page 157 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

I see that Fraser Nelson happily admitting and approving that NI will have a competitive advantage. 

Can't understand these people publicly glorying in making their own country worse off. 

asjoLh5k?format=jpg&name=900x900

"The Boris deal gives companies a strong incentive to relocate to Northern Ireland. They’d benefit from frictionless EU access and future UK trade deals. Makes for a richer Ulster and, ergo, a stronger union."

Edited by exile

3 minutes ago, exile said:

I see that Fraser Nelson happily admitting and approving that NI will have a competitive advantage. 

Can't understand these people publicly glorying in making their own country worse off. 

Get it right - region of their own country.

21 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Get it right - region of their own country.

😲 Oops I forgot.

But even so, even if it's just regional, imagine you're from Aberdeen, and something comes along (maybe HS2) that makes Glasgow richer and Aberdeen poorer. Could you sit in your cushy office in the capital and publicly gloat at Glasgow winning at the expense of your hometown?

2 minutes ago, exile said:

But even so, even if it's just regional, imagine you're from Aberdeen, and something comes along (maybe HS2) that makes Glasgow richer and Aberdeen poorer. Could you sit in your cushy office in the capital and publicly gloat at Glasgow winning at the expense of your hometown?

Good point. Naw, you couldnae.

There was a time, i think, that Scottish Labour/Tories were genuinely patriotic towards Scotland. They would stand up in the HoC and argue Scotland's cause in terms of investment and share of the UK cake. Have a look at the debates from the 1940s regarding the creation of a UK hub at Prestwick Airport. https://www.iscot.scot/article/politics/the-great-prestwick-airport-robbery/

Nowadays, that role has been completely taken by the SNP, so they are reduced to die-in-a-ditch 'No Surrender' defenders of the Precious Union. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Good point. Naw, you couldnae.

There was a time, i think, that Scottish Labour/Tories were genuinely patriotic towards Scotland. They would stand up in the HoC and argue Scotland's cause in terms of investment and share of the UK cake. Have a look at the debates from the 1940s regarding the creation of a UK hub at Prestwick Airport. https://www.iscot.scot/article/politics/the-great-prestwick-airport-robbery/

Nowadays, that role has been completely taken by the SNP, so they are reduced to die-in-a-ditch 'No Surrender' defenders of the Precious Union. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. :lol:

In fact there's an extra twist. The DUP won't back this deal, and Kate Hoey (there is a clip on the Spectator blog site if you dare go there) is against the deal too, as they see it endangers the union. You can sort of have a grudging admiration for them putting their tribe first. (Not to be quoted out of context!) 

But somehow, somehow, the Scots Tories manage to twist and squirm so that while they mouth staunch unionism, they spinelessly will fall behind the Boris deal and his English nationalist agenda. Imagine if they actually had the balls to stand up for their 'blood red lines', and were to take a stand and vote against the deal to protect the precious precious union. At least you could say they were staunch! But no, they fold. And yet they seem never to be challenged on their desertion. They deserve to be kicked out and lose their precious, precious union. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. :lol:

18 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Letwin amendment passed, deal fails. Chaos underway. Fuck knows what’ll happen now.

No the deal has not failed as they have yet to vote on it. All the Letwin Amendment was is ensuring that all legislation of the Johnson deal as to be passed through parliament first before they vote on Johnson's deal.

Ive just seen the mass walkout of wanks, sorry Tory MPs as Joanna Cherry was about to speak, then Rees Mogg walk out as Patrick Grady was about to reply. If you're Scottish and vote Tory, youre a lickspittle spineless bastard, or if you're a Labour or Lib Dem voter and think that is OK, then you're even worse. Brexit has shown how split the UK cuntry really is.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No the deal has not failed as they have yet to vote on it. All the Letwin Amendment was is ensuring that all legislation of the Johnson deal as to be passed through parliament first before they vote on Johnson's deal.

To be completely correct, the motion - as amended - passed.  It was "nodded through" after the vote on the amendment.

This is all pretty arcane stuff but technically, the "deal" has been voted on but approval - which is required under the previous legislation passed, can't remember which one off the top of my head but the one that required a meaningful vote.- is deferred until the necessary legislation is passed.  

What this means in practice is that Johnson has to seek an extension tonight and if and when the relevant supporting legislation passes we're out. 

Looks like they're going to try and have another go on Monday, which - if passed - will mean the Benn act fails which means there'll be no need for the extension.  

Not clear if they'll be allowed to do this though. 

To tell you my view as a German and European.

First we thought the English are stupid leaving the EU.

Now we see they're so stupid, we're glad that they go out.

Unfortunaley there seem to be so stupid, that they can't even find the door.

Hope Scotland can get rid of these monkeys after this shame.

Edited by GERTA Ulli

1 hour ago, Rohan said:

Anyone else bored to tears over Brexit yet?

More angry than bored tbh

Edited by Ally Bongo

12 hours ago, exile said:

Not sure what all the events of today will really mean.  But the 'optics' are not great 

I think the Tories are basically making the next SNP party political broadcast for them. I would also add Johnson's pathetic childish response to Blackford when he asked Blackford to congratulate the England rugby team on reaching the WC semi finals. All three incidents show not just contempt for the SNP but for all the people of Scotland as these are their democratically elected representatives.

Yes Johnson's highly childish reply to Blackford's statement was weak and pathetic. A desperate attempt to gain a bit of one upmanship for someone else's achievements thousands of miles away and in no way involved with politics. It showed he suffers the confusion of others who do not understand why Scots want independence. It is a desire for self-governance and total contempt for Westminster-rule - nothing to do with anti-English sentiment.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes Johnson's highly childish reply to Blackford's statement was weak and pathetic. A desperate attempt to gain a bit of one upmanship for someone else's achievements thousands of miles away and in no way involved with politics. It showed he suffers the confusion of others who do not understand why Scots want independence. It is a desire for self-governance and total contempt for Westminster-rule - nothing to do with anti-English sentiment.

To Johnson's quip a reply could be: an increasing number of our supporters will be congratulating the England win because an increasing number of supporters of independence are in fact English.  Except it was such a non sequitur it might not be dignified with a reply.

Edited by exile

In effect Johnson is, true to type, wanting to have his cake and eat it. He wants to give the impression of bravado, that he has defied the need to write the humiliating letter, while not actually getting collared by the Law. (something of the smart naughty schoolboy about it) 

Someone should demand of him directly which is it, because it can't be both: did he "surrender" in the end, or did he breach the law?

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Johnson is a puppet trying to push through a deal that will not leave the EU in any meaningful way. It’s embarrassing how long this has gone on. 

Which, and the consequences of, is what ?