What's Your Biggest Fear? - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's Your Biggest Fear?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others scared of heights also, which is utterly bizarre as I was brought up in a high rise flat in Paisley, and work in an airport tower which is 147 feet high and sways slightly when it's over a force 6 wind.

See I think this happens with age. As a kid I was never bothered. Used to climb trees pretty high up - big beech trees and scramble up small cliffs etc up in the hills - never bothered me at all. Think i am much worse now.

Polystyrene freaks me right out - the stuff that comes in the box to protect TV's or the like. The feel and sound of it when removing it from the box gives me the heebies. God forbid I inadvertently jab a fingernail into it :barf:

I've got this too. Makes my skin crawl. Wouldn't say it's a fear, but I genuinely dislike the sound.

J

I feel your pain brother.

My fear is so strong that i've actually passed out during a check-up.

On the plus side, i've woken up to 6 attractive women smiling at me.

I combat it by getting diamazipan from the doctor.

The one time I didn't have any,when the assistant asked if there was anything she could do to relax me,I told her that when I was younger,my mum would always be with me stroking the back of my hand and reassuring me.

That's exactly what she did the whole appointment,thankfully,I was too scared to get a hard on from her touching and reassuring polish tones :lol:

I combat it by getting diamazipan from the doctor.

The one time I didn't have any,when the assistant asked if there was anything she could do to relax me,I told her that when I was younger,my mum would always be with me stroking the back of my hand and reassuring me.

That's exactly what she did the whole appointment,thankfully,I was too scared to get a hard on from her touching and reassuring polish tones :lol:

you missed a trick there you could have asked for so much more hahaha

I had a flat once with a balcony which was quite high up. It was just a wrought iron railing but it was secure. No problem with heights standing right at the edge holding on to that. Take that away and I would have to crawl on my belly to peer over the edge. With it i was hanging over the edge seeing who was ringing the buzzer. It is not a fear of heights it is a quite normal fear of dying heights are potentially very dangerous. Touching the knobbly bone on your wrist less so.

I used to be scared of the dentist. Didn't got for about 10 years or something.

Cured of that phobia now.

Used to be really scared of dogs. Now I'm just wary of them.

It's probably been over 20 years since i was at the dentist. I had a really, really bad experience while getting a tooth extracted as a teen and it really affected me. I know I need to go back soon but even typing this out is bringing me out in a sweat. When I hear people talking about their dentist visits it gives me the boak and go all lightheaded. I'd love to be able to get completely knocked out, get all the work I need done in one sitting (a lot!) and then never go back for the rest of my life!

My main fear is dying childless, but my wife and I are both getting on a bit so hardly irrational.

On the other hand I hate the thought of blood pumping round the body, makes me faint... blood just sitting there or from an external wound is fine, but the thought of the heart going and the fluids coursing round :barf:

No-one on here (so far) has listed being controlled as their biggest fear - probably because they focus to much on irrational fear, such as phobias.

That's my biggest annoyance/fear. It's manifested so bad that when someone looks at something I don't follow their gaze. Pathological stubbornness.

I'm fine going to the dentist for check ups and fillings but extractions scare the cr@p out of me.

The last one was 6-7 years ago and they had to knock me out, gave my wife great entertainment with all the stuff I was coming out with as I started to come round. Only problem was I didn't react well to what ever they give you and felt really bad for the next 4 days.

I've had narcolepsy since I was a child but it was misdiagnosed as asthma until I was 12, then I got the correct diagnosis. I developed the cataplexy symptom and a worsening of my other symptoms following a car crash.

That seems a crazy misdiagnosis. Do they even share any of the same symptoms?

That seems a crazy misdiagnosis. Do they even share any of the same symptoms?

Their thinking was that the reason I was so tired and passing out was because I wasn't taking in enough oxygen. The diagnosis was made by a GP, something that wouldn't be allowed these days.

When I was first diagnosed, Narcolepsy and other sleep disorders were handled between Neurologists at the Southern General and the Sleep centres at Glasgow & Edinburgh Unis. In the past two years the Neurologists have been removed and replaced by Respiratory Consultants at Stobhill and the Royal Infrimary... I've come full circle back to respiratory! :lol:

Scared of dying. The thought of living and then nothing. Just being put in to a box or turned to Ashes. What if it's a coma I'm in?

It's a constant concern. If they ever start cremating folk just because they're brain-dead, who'd be left to post stuff on the internet?

Heights don't bother me, nor creepy-crawlies. Just weapon-wielding maniacs really.

It's a constant concern. If they ever start cremating folk just because they're brain-dead, who'd be left to post stuff on the internet?

Heights don't bother me, nor creepy-crawlies. Just weapon-wielding maniacs really.

Haha.

I know a lot of folk are scared of flying. I actually get a weird kick during turbulence when the plane is swaying and dropping and you hear people screaming and gasping.

. I actually get a weird kick during turbulence when the plane is swaying and dropping and you hear people screaming and gasping.

Me too, especially as I am convinced I will die on a plane flight*. Doesn't stop me flying though, when you're numbers up its up.

*this will almost certainly be on a plane I've built myself rather than a commercial flight.

Heights scare the life out of me........from a very early age the Empire State building always fascinated me (don't know why) & as an adult I was lucky enough to visit it, got off the elevator (86th floor i think) & I couldn't even go to the edge to look over at the New York skyline.

Really fckn scared of heights.

Me too, especially as I am convinced I will die on a plane flight*. Doesn't stop me flying though, when you're numbers up its up.

*this will almost certainly be on a plane I've built myself rather than a commercial flight.

as long as it's the return journey I couldn't give a feck

I feel your pain brother.

My fear is so strong that i've actually passed out during a check-up.

On the plus side, i've woken up to 6 attractive women smiling at me.

Wimp.

I got surgery in my mouth which lasted about an hour and a half and I was awake for the whole thing. Wasnt pleasent, especially when he was cutting and tearing the gum, but there are far worse things than the dentist.

Enclosed spaces.

When in Florida my son and I went on a simulator ride that took you through space in a 4 man capsule and you had to dock the rocket etc. I would always check any attraction for warnings of enclosed spaces and could have swore there were none (went back to check later and there was). I had settled into the seat with the solid shoulder harness and, while not being entirely comfortable, gave the thumbs up to continue. Then the final door closed and the whole wall that was previously 2 feet from my face moved to within 6 inches of my face. Utter panic and tried to squirm under the shoulder harness (no chance) while screaming for someone to stop the ride. My son was banging on the door, himself panicking and fortunately this alerted the workers outside. I honestly feel I would rather have broken my neck trying to get out of that harness than to stay in and face the enclosed space.