January Transfer News - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

January Transfer News

You're lot are just as bad!

Was it 2 gingy bottles and a 10p mix they offered for James McFadden before he went to Everton for £1.75 million?

(IIRC Celtic actually wanted a 6 month loan with an option to buy! :shocked: )

Nothing wrong with not over spending... ;-)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day if he has 18 months left then its up to saints. they can reject the offer and tell ohalloran to get on with it i guess but risk losing him for less later on i suppose.

ohalloran would do well just to get on with whatever is decided. if he doesnt go now he will probably get a decent move in the summer if he wants it.

My original beef was more to do with the Daily Record than Rangers. They clearly help Rangers and Celtic in these situations.

I get it in relation to all clubs do it at some level, where the hypocrisy comes into play is when bigger clubs like Norwich, Southampton etc come tapping their players.

Also, you cant simply dismiss concerns about offering low amounts for players by citing people would be complaining if you were offering over the odds. Rangers are using their influence to deliberately undervalue players. Fair business for them, but it is providing them with an unfair advantage in signing due to the additional help of the west coast frothing media.

Look how much Brentford paid for Lewis McLeod and then compare against what they are offering for O'Halloran and tried to sign Scott Allan for.

My original beef was more to do with the Daily Record than Rangers. They clearly help Rangers and Celtic in these situations.

I get it in relation to all clubs do it at some level, where the hypocrisy comes into play is when bigger clubs like Norwich, Southampton etc come tapping their players.

Also, you cant simply dismiss concerns about offering low amounts for players by citing people would be complaining if you were offering over the odds. Rangers are using their influence to deliberately undervalue players. Fair business for them, but it is providing them with an unfair advantage in signing due to the additional help of the west coast frothing media.

Look how much Brentford paid for Lewis McLeod and then compare against what they are offering for O'Halloran and tried to sign Scott Allan for.

Again it's not like for like. Transfer values in England are probably double what they realistically should be (see Virgil Van Dyke). As I stated earlier I think GMS to Celtic is a more valid comparison.

Also, Rangers using their influence to deliberately undervalue players didn't exactly work in the Scott Allan situation did it? (That's worked out well for him). There's a lot of hysteria about nothing here. Rangers have put bids in, St Johnstone have rejected them. Unless Rangers come back with an acceptable bid St Johnstone don't have to sell. If they do sell then it's obviously for an amount that they feel is acceptable. The ball is entirely in St Johnstone's court here.

Again it's not like for like. Transfer values in England are probably double what they realistically should be (see Virgil Van Dyke). As I stated earlier I think GMS to Celtic is a more valid comparison.

Also, Rangers using their influence to deliberately undervalue players didn't exactly work in the Scott Allan situation did it? (That's worked out well for him). There's a lot of hysteria about nothing here. Rangers have put bids in, St Johnstone have rejected them. Unless Rangers come back with an acceptable bid St Johnstone don't have to sell. If they do sell then it's obviously for an amount that they feel is acceptable. The ball is entirely in St Johnstone's court here.

GMS had less than 6 months of his contract to run, Dundee utd had the choice of accepting £200k or getting nothing for him 3 months later. O'Hallaron has 18 months left, not like for like.

GMS had less than 6 months of his contract to run, Dundee utd had the choice of accepting £200k or getting nothing for him 3 months later. O'Hallaron has 18 months left, not like for like.

It will never be like for like as no 2 players are the same.

As has been said St Johnstone are well within their rights to tell Rangers to feck off if they want. They can also negotiate or just sell.

Whatever they do is up to them. Rangers only way of influencing this is by their bids. Nothing else.

Rangers bid £250k for Naisy firs ttime round.

They are withing their rights to do so but they do it to try and unsettle the player.

We said all along it would take £2m to get him and that's what we got.

I'm not having a go at you at all but it seems that Rangers got criticised in the past for paying over the odds for players and when we try and cut our cloth, we get accused of being cheapskates!

Kevin Thomson has left Dens.

Very good player when fit, which was very rarely.

Maybe a surprise to some but he's one of my favourite Rangers players of recent times. I'd like to take him on a deal till the end of the season.

I'm not having a go at you at all but it seems that Rangers got criticised in the past for paying over the odds for players and when we try and cut our cloth, we get accused of being cheapskates!

Much like fans will sing

:sing: you're not Rangers anymore

Then in the 2nd half sing

:sing: same old Rangers, alwayss cheating.

We're a shower of fickle hypocrites!

:lol:

Although, when it came to wasting big money, it was usually on foreign diddies as opposed to Scottish ones!

:P

Of course he doesn't actually say that but my god you have to love the Record sometimes

Aye what he actually said was, 'I'm not going to talk about a player that is under contract with someone else'.

Likewise I'm a huge admirer of Kevin Thomson. A great pro and very good player. Just a shame he was Plagued by so many injuries. As has been said above I would easily have him with us until the end of the season. We definitely lack a bit of dig in that department.

As for O'Hallorran I posted months ago that I would be very happy for us to try and get him, and I'm also pleased that we are finally starting to exercise a bit of caution as far as transfer fees go.

The comments on here about it are predictable, especially from the Hibbies, who have now adopted the 'everything favours Rangers, the whole world is against us' mantra. Still It's a welcome change from the Tims doing it.

I've always rated Thomson, but, always feel he is prone to a completely brain dead needless booking!

His 2nd yellow in the league cup final v St Mirren summed this up. He nailed the boy at the corner flag, and you could see it coming before he got out the centre circle.

Would be a great player for a team that could keep him fit, or use him sparingly.

*fact checked that, and it was actually a straight red, and nearer the halfway line than the corner flag. Point still stands mind you.

2 mins in if you're interested...

Edited by sbcmfc

It's not really anything like the GMS situation. O'Halloran still has 18 months left on his contract, whereas GMS had only 6 and had already agreed a pre contract to join Celtic in the summer.

Much like fans will sing

:sing: you're not Rangers anymore

Then in the 2nd half sing

:sing: same old Rangers, alwayss cheating.

We're a shower of fickle hypocrites!

Although, when it came to wasting big money, it was usually on foreign diddies as opposed to Scottish ones!

:P

Same the world over mate.

Yer right though, bar a couple of exceptions

Kevin Thomson has left Dens.

Very good player when fit, which was very rarely.

The first time I noticed him was when we beat Hibs 2-1 & JVOH scored the winner on his debut.

Brown scored for Hibs, but Thomson ran the show & never wasted a pass. I remember boring the arse off everyone about how he was the better of the pair.

Injuries pretty much called time on his career a few years ago, but back in his pomp, I'd still say I was right.

The first time I noticed him was when we beat Hibs 2-1 & JVOH scored the winner on his debut.

Brown scored for Hibs, but Thomson ran the show & never wasted a pass. I remember boring the arse off everyone about how he was the better of the pair.

Injuries pretty much called time on his career a few years ago, but back in his pomp, I'd still say I was right.

When the whole Thomson/Brown saga was going on I told anyone that would listen that we had got twice the player for half the money. Didn't work out like that and probably not quite accurate anyway, but I agree he was easily the better out the two.