January Transfer News - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

January Transfer News

That's strange. When Dundee Utd took Charlie Telfer from Rangers for next to nothing everyone laughed. It appears fair compensation for players is one way.

Tom Walsh has gone out on loan to Dumbarton.

Different situation.

Telfer was out of contract.

O'Hallaron has 18 months.

Be interesting to see what valuation Warburton places on any of his players with 18 months left. Presumably a bit less than the offers for O'Hallaron given they are unproven in the top league.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different situation.

Telfer was out of contract.

O'Hallaron has 18 months.

Be interesting to see what valuation Warburton places on any of his players with 18 months left. Presumably a bit less than the offers for O'Hallaron given they are unproven in the top league.

"that's football"

I believe we have made a final bid and the deal is done.

Edited by EddardStark

Telfer was out of contract and the issue was a compensation fee was it not?

This is the usual guff of unsettling a player to the point of transfer request.

If a player gets unsettled to the point of a transfer request because of a story in the Daily Record he really needs to take a look at himself.

What do folks think would be a fair price for O'Hallaron?

£400k given the contract situation?

What did Celtic pay for GMS? Think it was about £200K? Think he might have only had 6 months on his contract however at the time I'd say he was a "better" and certainly more high profile player. Using that as a benchmark and taking the extra 12 months on O'Halloran's contract I;d say somewhere around £250K-£300K would be about right.

*10,000 posts. I really need to get out more.

Edited by Fairbairn

That's strange. When Dundee Utd took Charlie Telfer from Rangers for next to nothing everyone laughed. It appears fair compensation for players is one way.

Tom Walsh has gone out on loan to Dumbarton.

Yes but initially Utd offered derisory compensation and everyone said "that's football"

What did Celtic pay for GMS? Think it was about £200K? Think he might have only had 6 months on his contract however at the time I'd say he was a "better" and certainly more high profile player. Using that as a benchmark and taking the extra 12 months on O'Halloran's contract I;d say somewhere around £250K-£300K would be about right.

*10,000 posts. I really need to get out more.

sorry Eddard you accuse me of posting p*sh at times, so i cant let that go.

Utd originally offerred circa £60k I think for a rangers youth team player that had only played a couple of times for the first team and was out of contract.

The tribunal eventually told us to pay over £200k for him.

Your team offerred £160k for a st johnstone first team player who is scoring regularly in the top division and has 18months left on his contract. take off your blue specs and tell me which offer you would really call derisory?

I would have said our iunitial offer for telfer was far closer to real value than yours for ohalloran.

FB - if telfer was really worth over £200k which rangers stated was a fair price for him when they got it, how can ohalloran be worth £250-300k? thats just wrong.

Utd originally offerred circa £60k I think for a rangers youth team player that had only played a couple of times for the first team and was out of contract.

Your team offerred £160k for a st johnstone first team player who is scoring regularly in the top division and has 18months left on his contract. take off your blue specs and tell me which offer you would really call derisory?

I would have said our iunitial offer for telfer was far closer to real value than yours for ohalloran.

FB - if telfer was really worth over £200k which rangers stated was a fair price for him when they got it, how can ohalloran be worth £250-300k? thats just wrong.

I think it's because they arrapeepul or something like that.

Given St Johnstone's current league position and pending semi final of the cup would they not be better keeping him till summer and gamble that o'halloran will help the to a league cup final and European Football again?

Not going to be worth much less with 12 months on his contract instead of 18 and if he finishes the season well then it may even drive the price up.

You have a fair point, to a degree. You also have to consider the players wages as that's also part of their value.

Given that I'd still say Telfer went for about twice his actual value.

One other thing that affects value would be the number of international caps at the under whatever levels.

I've no idea whether Telfer or O'Halloran have made more appearances though. Anyone know the facts on that?

EDIT- seems that Telfer had 11 caps with O'Halloran having 7.

Edited by RenfrewBlue

It's also worth pointing out that comparing Telfer and O'Halloran isn't really like for like. The compensation for Telfer was a development fee as opposed to an actual transfer fee. St Johnstone obviously haven't brought Telfer through as a youth so you can't really compare the 2. That being said £200K for Telfer was ridiculous.

You have a fair point, to a degree. You also have to consider the players wages as that's also part of their value.

Given that I'd still say Telfer went for about twice his actual value.

One other thing that affects value would be the number of international caps at the under whatever levels.

I've no idea whether Telfer or O'Halloran have made more appearances though. Anyone know the facts on that?

EDIT- seems that Telfer had 11 caps with O'Halloran having 7.

It's also worth pointing out that comparing Telfer and O'Halloran isn't really like for like. The compensation for Telfer was a development fee as opposed to an actual transfer fee. St Johnstone obviously haven't brought Telfer through as a youth so you can't really compare the 2. That being said £200K for Telfer was ridiculous.

Yes I think you got a good deal for Telfer. Our original offer was below what he was going to go for however, i agree with that, but probably closer to his real value. Mind you - whats real value nowadays in football madness eh?

do we know what the latest offer for ohalloran is? have saints actually accepted it? good business for rangers if they do get him at a knock down price.

Struggling to see what the huns have done incorrect here.

Good business.

Nothing really.

Trying to get the player for the best price they can.

I think the feeling is that they throw in a piss poor offer, then let their pals in the press spend a week unsettling the player, until the position becomes untenable and they might as well sell.

Some folks really do put their dislike of Rangers ahead of rational thought sometimes. We have made an offer for a player, the selling club has absolutely no obligation to accept or negotiate if they wish. If that players head is turned via their agent or the media, well, so be it. That's what happens in every country in numerous deals.

Posts about us acting like this solely because "we arra people" are juvenile when it seems that we have simply played the same game that every other club in the world does. Much like that numpty at Accrington Stanley who criticised us for playing by the rules too.

Edited by thewolf_1980

Some folks really do put their dislike of Rangers ahead of rational thought sometimes. We have made an offer for a player, the selling club has absolutely no obligation to accept or negotiate if they wish. If that players head is turned via their agent or the media, well, so be it. That's what happens in every country in numerous deals.

Posts about us acting like this solely because "we arra people" are juvenile when it seems that we have simply played the same game that every other club in the world does. Much like that numpty at Accrington Stanley who criticised us for playing by the rules too.

I think some of the negativity here is being levelled at the mindless and ignorant Twitter comments from certain individuals "linked" with Rangers, perhaps coupled with a bit of - you were liquidated, didn't pay your debts but are now back buying the best players in Scotland. These aren't necessarily my thoughts, I'm just reading between the lines.

As far as taking this transaction in isolation goes - I think Rangers have been pretty smart and are buying an excellent player. I wish we were buying him.

It's pertinent to ask who has used the media here. If Rangers have leaked stories to the press about interest and bids then that's poor form IMO.

If they haven't, then they've done nothing wrong.

Nothing really.

Trying to get the player for the best price they can.

I think the feeling is that they throw in a piss poor offer, then let their pals in the press spend a week unsettling the player, until the position becomes untenable and they might as well sell.

Every club does this.

Some get less press.

The holier that thou stuff on here is amusing.

Every club does this.

Some get less press.

The holier that thou stuff on here is amusing.

You're lot are just as bad!

Was it 2 gingy bottles and a 10p mix they offered for James McFadden before he went to Everton for £1.75 million?

(IIRC Celtic actually wanted a 6 month loan with an option to buy! :shocked: )