Refugee Crisis - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Refugee Crisis

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they were put in place with a humanitarian crisis like this is mind. It's not good for the EU countries affected or the people going to them. Seems reasonable for all the EU countries to come together and agree to take their fair share and then maybe we wouldn't have the "problem" of people going through various countries

The sensible thing would to agree to change the rules together not as, for example, unilaterally decide to apply diffent ones when it suits as Getmany has.

There is no doubt that there should be a European response but changing the baseline unilaterally is not the answer.

That is still missing the point.

They escaped Syria for their own safety as is what a refugee does. They don't leave the country saying I am going where I can get a job and if they do then are they really refugees then? Their own safety is what they have left Syria first and foremost for I am presuming.

My point is the countries closest can't be expected to bear the brunt of the refugees though.

Especially ones which have far less resources than us. And the fact we helped destabilise these countries.

We've a moral duty to do more. It's as simple as that.

Even (like I said earlier) you excuse Italy and Greece then you come into other countries such as Switzerland, Spain, Luxembourg, France, Austria etc etc etc. No wars in any of those countries so certainly safe havens.

They target Britain because they speak English. You've maybe never tried to settle in France. Even as an acceptable pink faced EU national with a smattering of French it was very difficult. I imagine that for brown people with no French its impossible.

Dont underestimate the power and confidence you can gain when you have the language.

One or two EU countries can't be expected to deal with all the people just because they are the closest countries.

I was reading an article earlier about loads of them heading to Brasil instead orfthe EU!

You do tend to forget that a lot of these refugees are actually intelligent, wealthy and generally useful to society. Their only problem is that their gaff has been destroyed by war.

Edited by deecie

That is still missing the point.

They escaped Syria for their own safety as is what a refugee does. They don't leave the country saying I am going where I can get a job and if they do then are they really refugees then? Their own safety is what they have left Syria first and foremost for I am presuming.

You seem to be obsessed by the word "refugee". Why do you feel the need to pigeon hole these folk just to try to make your views seem better. They are just people who need help. The UK is as a country is easily wealthy enough to provide these folk with the help they need. We should show some compassion to these desperate folk and help them out. Winter is just around the corner. Some of these folk are going to start freezing to death if we don't do something soon.

I was reading an article earlier about loads of them heading to Brasil instead orfthe EU!

You do tend to forget that a lot of these refugees are actually intelligent, wealthy and generally useful to society. Their only problem is that their gaff has been destroyed by war.

I've said this before too, people just assume they are useless and won't work or don't have any skills etc.

Exactly. We should be getting in there quick to try to make sure we can get as many of the useful ones that we can. If we continue to drag our feet on this we will just be left with the unemployable benefit scroungers, which are no better than the unemployable benefit scroungers that we already have.

Exactly. We should be getting in there quick to try to make sure we can get as many of the useful ones that we can. If we continue to drag our feet on this we will just be left with the unemployable benefit scroungers, which are no better than the unemployable benefit scroungers that we already have.

You wavered from a Guardian reader to s Daily Mail one in the space of a few posts

Exactly :ok:

Although come to think about it these people might take my job, trick me out of my house and seduce my women.

Best they stay in a camp at the FIRST country they reach.

You seem to be obsessed by the word "refugee". Why do you feel the need to pigeon hole these folk just to try to make your views seem better. They are just people who need help.

If people are entering the country in the manner they that we are discussing, they are claiming asylum as refugees which is a defined legal status.

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49da0e466.html

"What is the difference between a

refugee and a migrant?-

Refugees are forced to flee because of

a threat of persecution and because

they lack the protection of their own

country.

A migrant, in comparison, may leave

his or her country for many reasons

that are not related to persecution,

such as for the purposes of employ-

ment, family reunification or study. A

migrant continues to enjoy the protec-

tion of his or her own government,

even when abroad."

If they are not refugees it's the equivalent to turning up at a country without a passport or visa. Why don't you go try that and see what happens.

The idea that Europe has no borders for anyone that's hard up is nonsense. If people are refugees there is a process and laws defined.

If people continue to abuse this convention for economic migration countries will pull out of the convention and throw up big solid borders with guns.

At that point genuine refugees are going to be worse off

You seem to be obsessed by the word "refugee". Why do you feel the need to pigeon hole these folk just to try to make your views seem better. They are just people who need help. The UK is as a country is easily wealthy enough to provide these folk with the help they need. We should show some compassion to these desperate folk and help them out. Winter is just around the corner. Some of these folk are going to start freezing to death if we don't do something soon.

Well what shall we call them if not refugees. I give you that they seem more advanced than the refugees of old who scrambled to escape turmoil in their countries and once safe they started to rebuild their lives. These 'refugees' have left Syria, trekked across Europe and many countries offering safe haven and hone in on Britain. Now if you say it suits as they speak the same language it says little for their willingness to adapt to a new country which entails learning languages and that country's culture does it not? I do agree there will be skilled workers among them that is a given but also lets not forget the other dide of the coin as in you dont know what other less desirable traits or sort of people you are letting in.

Well what shall we call them if not refugees. I give you that they seem more advanced than the refugees of old who scrambled to escape turmoil in their countries and once safe they started to rebuild their lives. These 'refugees' have left Syria, trekked across Europe and many countries offering safe haven and hone in on Britain. Now if you say it suits as they speak the same language it says little for their willingness to adapt to a new country which entails learning languages and that country's culture does it not? I do agree there will be skilled workers among them that is a given but also lets not forget the other dide of the coin as in you dont know what other less desirable traits or sort of people you are letting in.

hell

Exactly :ok:

Although come to think about it these people might take my job, trick me out of my house and seduce my women.

Best they stay in a camp at the FIRST country they reach.

Of course they should stay in a camp once they are safe.

And why don't they all go to other muslamic countries like Arabia or Persia?

Plenty of money swilling around there and they share the same religion. And the weather's pretty similar too.

Why do they want to come to temperate countries with cold winters and relatively cold summers?

I don't agree with your point about them stealing our women - most decent white women would never go with an Arab Muslim. yes some slags might but they are whores and probably need some religious grounding so it might help them in the long run.

I do agree with the house stealing point - look at the trajectory of their approach; they leave Damascus and run in a straight line right at me.

It makes me sick and if they aren't planning on squatting in my home can only think they are planning an atrocity.

I give thanks to the Hungarians for having the bottle to tear gas their kids to keep me safe

• 2 weeks later...

Crisis continues with Nicola Sturgeon changed view a perfect example of the complicated nature of this whole episode.

SEPTEMBER 6

Yes, I would absolutely be happy to do that [give home to a refugee] as part of a bigger, wider, more organised approach.

Sturgeon to Sky News

SEPTEMBER 24

She did not say there were any plans for that to happen.

Sturgeons spokesman this week

..,The UK is as a country is easily wealthy enough to provide these folk with the help they need. We should show some compassion to these desperate folk and help them out. Winter is just around the corner. Some of these folk are going to start freezing to death if we don't do something soon.

pish. Food banks up and down the country would suggest otherwise. Winter in Turkey would be nice I'd imagine. Among your ain folk and all that.

Edit. How many have you volunteered to put up?

Edited by scoobydoo

pish. Food banks up and down the country would suggest otherwise. Winter in Turkey would be nice I'd imagine. Among your ain folk and all that.

Edit. How many have you volunteered to put up

There is plenty money in the UK. it's just not distributed very evenly.

You don't know very much about Turkey, do you?

I've got two families living in my garage - £500 a month - nice wee earner.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while since there was anything on this. Noticed a few stories in the news yesterday and today that suggest its coming to a head again.

Just saw on the news that Macedonia are filtering what they class as refugees from migrants and its causing some bother

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35001515

Lots of fences been built since September when there was last a post on this and a lot of borders being enforced too.

Talking about closing a bridge crossing between Sweden and Denmark too to stop migrants http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/03/swedish-government-proposes-bridge-closure-as-refugee-numbers-rise

Greece being put under threat of being kicked out of the Schengen area

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34983426