Would You Take A Draw Right Now? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Would You Take A Draw Right Now?

Stuart87

Think the game next week will be very different from the one in November, wont be as physical I think.

I think it will be even more physical, with typical MoN tactics of just launching the ball, while at the same time doing whatever it takes to keep Maloney and Anya out of the game.

Our defence is going to need to stand toe to toe with whatever the Irish chuck at them.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A draw is a good result providing we win in Georgia. If we can take something off the Germans its a bonus but we really need them to kick into top gear now if possible.

Think the game next week will be very different from the one in November, wont be as physical I think.

Agreed on your physical point

If we play like we did in Glasgow then quite frankly we (Ireland) deserve to be beaten

However I do think ye will see a different style from us than ye did in glasgow (more ball on ground and less physical) - as an Ireland fan - I will be fuming if we serve the same tripe as we did in Glasgow.

Must win game for us - time for us to put up or shut up...no excuses

As for who is the better team...that will be decided at the end of the group when the placings are decided - they rarely lie

I think it will be even more physical, with typical MoN tactics of just launching the ball, while at the same time doing whatever it takes to keep Maloney and Anya out of the game.

Our defence is going to need to stand toe to toe with whatever the Irish chuck at them.

In fairness mate - dont know if you saw us against poland - for the entire second half we had them on the back foot by playing some good football - very little launching the ball

Hoping MoN has learned from that.........watch this space!!!

Agreed on your physical point

If we play like we did in Glasgow then quite frankly we (Ireland) deserve to be beaten

However I do think ye will see a different style from us than ye did in glasgow (more ball on ground and less physical) - as an Ireland fan - I will be fuming if we serve the same tripe as we did in Glasgow.

Must win game for us - time for us to put up or shut up...no excuses

As for who is the better team...that will be decided at the end of the group when the placings are decided - they rarely lie

Agree on your last point there Green Tide! At the end of the day, this thread shows what our biggest issue has been for years now... we need to be more ambitious, with all due respect Ireland aren't a world class side (neither are we) so we have no reason not to be playing to win in games such as this.

Point is fine IF we win in Georgia, a place we've lost previously and who kept us to a 1-0 at home. I'd much rather go to Tbilisi with less pressure and 3 pts.

2nd half against Poland was the best I've seen of Ireland this campaign. Made Poland look very ordinary.

We shouldn't forget that we could easily have dropped points against Ireland and Georgia, both had good chances in the last 10 mins and Poland battered us at the end of that game as well.

Trying not to be pessimistic, we've deserved those points but rode our luck a little as well.

Agree on your last point there Green Tide! At the end of the day, this thread shows what our biggest issue has been for years now... we need to be more ambitious, with all due respect Ireland aren't a world class side (neither are we) so we have no reason not to be playing to win in games such as this.

Point is fine IF we win in Georgia, a place we've lost previously and who kept us to a 1-0 at home. I'd much rather go to Tbilisi with less pressure and 3 pts.

Scotland have improved massively and respect to ye for doing so and yere management

No doubting Irelands stock has dropped in the last few years - but im hoping their is some life in the old dog yet :)

If ye beat us in Dublin , then ye deserve to qualify and i will be the first to congratulate ye

Put it this way ... a point in Dublin is better for ye than for us :wink2:

Why can't we expect to beat them?

What a shocking attitude. Better team, manager and performances. Must win - should win - can win.

You're easily shocked.

Of course we can win. We can also lose.

Better team? I would say both teams are very evenly matched. Weren't you at Celtic Park in November? Ok, we have a better world ranking at the moment but the world rankings are ludicrous.

Better manager? What are you basing that opinion on?

If we play well we have a great chance of winning but this is not a must win game. A draw would mean we have taken 4 points off Ireland. A victory against Poland at Hampden would mean we also take 4 points off of them.

I suppose we will only know next Saturday whether a draw would be a good result or not depending on how the game goes.

Acceptable? You've got a short memory mate. Ok, we've improved a lot since the last campaign but we're not exactly world beaters who can expect to turn up and expect to beat teams like Ireland away from home.

A draw would keep us two points ahead of the Irish and would be a great result. I would prefer a win obviously but as long as we don't lose I fancy us to finish the group ahead of Ireland at least.

If we want to qualify, we need to win these games.

Stick to the glorious failure pish if you want. Hopefully the players have more confidence.

Stick to the glorious failure pish if you want. Hopefully the players have more confidence.

You are right in what you say

Equally the same applies to us.....when it comes to playing Scotland and our hopes of qualifying

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

It's got nothing to do with glorious failure mate.

It's about having respect for your opponent and realising that a draw would be a great result away from home against a decent side.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be trying to win the game. Of course we should. We should also avoid being complacent and arrogant because that would no doubt come back to bite us on the @rse.

Set pieces in this game going to be vital... I'm sure brady will start on the left and he has a good delivery.. we are not the tallest of teams so think it's obvious Strahan will go for mulgrew in midfield and Fletcher up front.. I would also have Berra partner Martin at the back. I think where Ireland are lacking is creativity in open play.. they struggle now to open up teams. so if we keep them out from set pieces we can win this game.

Marshall

Hutton martin berra whittiker

Brown mulgrew

Maloney naismith anya

fletcher

It's got nothing to do with glorious failure mate.

It's about having respect for your opponent and realising that a draw would be a great result away from home against a decent side.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be trying to win the game. Of course we should. We should also avoid being complacent and arrogant because that would no doubt come back to bite us on the @rse.

Difference between arrogance and finally showing some ambition. Fed up with glorious failure we should be calling to win this game, for too long pessimistic so and so's such as yourself have spouted the 'take a draw before the game' nonsense.

It's a must win if we want to qualify. Yes there are other options but I'd rather not go into the Germany game needing a 6 goal swing and 4-0 victory.

I bet those screaming it has to be a win would take the draw if we were trailing 2-0 in the match though. Which is the point here. People here saying they would take the draw is not saying they'd prefer it to a win - of course not. It is that taking a draw does not kill our chances but a defeat would hence a draw is far more acceptable. Of course we all want Scotland to win though.

A draw is rarely a "great" result and this is certainly one of those cases.

Losing ground to Poland is not what I'd call great.

Sound reasoning but people seem to be forgetting how hard it is to win away from home in international football. Especially against a team of a similar standard.

We are (possibly) going to be under pressure for long periods of this game. If we can withstand the pressure and nick a goal or two and get three points that will be fantastic. What we don't want to do is lose the game and go fourth in the group.

Poland aren't guaranteed to beat Georgia on Saturday but even if they do, they still need to come to Glasgow and go to Germany.

I don't agree that this is a must win game although it would certainly help our chances. A win would all but eliminate Ireland.

Poland at home is a must win game.

People should remember that we are the fourth ranked side in this group, so a third place finish would be a decent achievement. Of course we would love to go through automatically but it's going to be tough overhauling Germany and Poland due to the formers status and latters points advantage. This Ireland team look in better shape than they were in November with McCarthy and Wilson back, so a point would be a good effort.

Only the top European teams plus England regularly win away from home in qualifiers. IMO "expecting" to win in Dublin sounds very arrogant and not based on any historical evidence. Trying to win and hoping to win is very reasonable but I don't think we should be "expecting" it to happen. If we do win this game it will be one of our best ever away results.

Only the top European teams plus England regularly win away from home in qualifiers. IMO "expecting" to win in Dublin sounds very arrogant and not based on any historical evidence. Trying to win and hoping to win is very reasonable but I don't think we should be "expecting" it to happen. If we do win this game it will be one of our best ever away results.

Good post

We need a win here, anything less than that and I can't see us qualifying

Huh????????? How do you figure that?

If ye draw in Dublin , ye will have taken 4 points out of 6 from playing us. Ye have already taken 1 point from Poland away , with every possibilty of taking 3 off them in Hampden, which will leave ye with another 4 points from 6 against Poland .

If ye can do the above and beat Georgia away - then i can only see ye qualifying and deservedly so!!!

Totally agree

Yes, I would take a draw.

Ireland were very good in the second half against Poland and they'll have an extra incentive to win this game (to cancel out their loss in Glasgow).

4pts for us and 1 for them over two games would be an excellent return, and keep us right in the hunt with Poland to come to Hampden and Ireland to go to Warsaw.

And with the battle for 2nd and 3rd between the three of us something has to give.