Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread

Tartan blood

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup. They showed their colours with their 'Fuck the SFA' chant. And when teams were named noted higher boos for Celtic players and mild cheers for ex Rangers players. Plus a number actually wearing blue tops.

Quelled surprise. I actually wish they would fuck off over there if they hate their own 'country' that much. Bootlicking, subservient wanks

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I have to agree with this.  We just were just not  good enough and it was arguably the worst atmosphere I have experienced in years. 
I could also have happily throttled every single NI fan. It was like listening to England. 

Games against NI bring out the absolute dregs to the games.

Always a terrible atmosphere. Don’t know why we play them unless we are drawn with them in qualifying. 

J

3 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Quelled surprise. I actually wish they would fuck off over there if they hate their own 'country' that much. Bootlicking, subservient wanks

Yes a total embarrassment. My slaves to the English comment is based on their ripping off English songs and having no patriotism for their own country, Northern Ireland. It must be a miserable existence to have no national identity.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Everton and Dyche. His confidence is absolutely shot at the minute. Scared to bomb on and not make mistakes but nonetheless ends up making them. I feel sorry for the lad.

Yeah, you can feel sorry for him but does he start against Germany?

Not a chance is my answer!

Worst performance since the Dublin drubbing two years ago. Struggling of picking a Scotland MOTM from that performance - it was very dire viewing. The loud chorus of boos at FT were absolutely justified. 74% possession with only 2 shots on target is beyond embarrassing against a nation that have only won 5 games in 3 years (two of them against San Marino).

Don’t know what has happened to this team but since we qualified, it’s just gone downhill very fast. Need to find some confidence and consistency from somewhere otherwise, god knows what Germany, Switzerland & Hungary will do to this lot in the summer.

7 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Well said. Nobody on the thread has mentioned how well the Nordies played.

I noted their players were going down with cramp on 74 mins. They were knocking their pans oot (and injuring our captain in the process). No wonder i wanted Tierney rested tonight.

It was like a Euro playoff for them.

Fair play to Michael O'Neil. He'll be successful with them again

If parking two buses is playing out of their skin then I must have been watching the wrong game.

Yeah, we were poor but Angus Gunn was hardly overworked. As soon as they scored I knew we were in trouble. All signs pointed them to sitting even deeper.

Whole team seemed edgy for minute one, even the atmosphere was dreadful..but they gave us nothing to cheer about.

Would go as far to say it's the worst performance I've seen given the talent we have.  Far too passive, slow build up.  We had all the ball and did nothing with it.

Ironically defensively, where I've been more concerned, they mopped everything up bar the goal.  Midfield to front was too slow.

Just one to forget about and move on.  Maybe a good thing to shake some life into them.

5 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Games against NI bring out the absolute dregs to the games.

Always a terrible atmosphere. Don’t know why we play them unless we are drawn with them in qualifying. 

J

A game like this would give us no insight as how to play against Hungary and Switzerland. We should be playing against nations of a similar standard. To be fair though this game was probably arranged before we qualified and before the draw was made

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Whole team seemed edgy for minute one, even the atmosphere was dreadful..but they gave us nothing to cheer about.

Would go as far to say it's the worst performance I've seen given the talent we have.  Far too passive, slow build up.  We had all the ball and did nothing with it.

Ironically defensively, where I've been more concerned, they mopped everything up bar the goal.  Midfield to front was too slow.

Just one to forget about and move on.  Maybe a good thing to shake some life into them.

Let's hope so. Atmosphere was really flat from the start, particularly in contrast to the British Irish fans. Hardly anyone around me singing, shouting, clapping, not a saltire or Lion Rampant in sight. Why didn't they just stay at home and watch it on Tele?

2 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

If parking two buses is playing out of their skin then I must have been watching the wrong game.

When you're outclassed on paper against a higher ranked superior team, some managers park the bus and play on the counter to win the game. That's what Michael O'Neill is good at. He proved it when NI qualified for Euro 2016 and we didn't.

Reverse the roles, and we'd be celebrating our team's great performance

4 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

A game like this would give us no insight as how to play against Hungary and Switzerland. We should be playing against nations of a similar standard. To be fair though this game was probably arranged before we qualified and before the draw was made

Looking for some small crumbs of comfort after tonight...At least the teams we're playing in the Euros will be less defensive than N.Ireland and hopefully more open matches will suit us.

Just now, GLOSTA said:

Wasn't the best night. I can't get my head round why there was no atmosphere in the ground and why the team were just as flat.

I think a lot of our fans went to the game a little concerned after Friday night.When its like that the team needs to get the fans going but they offered very little to get excited about so the atmosphere remained flat.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We were far too pedestrian in.our build up play. On odd moments we broke with pace is when we looked mildly threatening but even when we got into good posotions pur final ball was rank.

This was the Scotland of old. I thought we had finally clicked that when you play poor sides that sit behind the ball that you need to brave rather than patient. 

Almost every time a player decided to take on their opponent they got success and we were in behind. Even when they lost the ball more often than not it went out for a shy or NI did nothing with it. So its a high reward low risk scenario.

I thought we’d moved beyond booing the oppo’s national anthem and worked out how counterproductive it is.

Wasnt as loud as the boos at the end mind you.

Lots of talk about us needing wingers all of a sudden but when Robertson and Hickey are fit and on the pitch they do the job perfectly of providing offensive threat from the flanks, and actually are our main attacking weapon. Unfortunate they were (mostly) absent tonight and it showed.

Patterson was pish tonight but Ralston is never going to make an international standard player so its not really an option to start him. 

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Plus a number actually wearing blue tops.

Point of Information: This won't have been whose tops you imagine. The NI training gear is blue, and has been for years, as below.

As it happens, club tops are frowned upon at NI games, esp for away trips.

HTH.

720-400-ni.jpg

Edited by AwayInAManger

I thought we’d moved beyond booing the oppo’s national anthem and worked out how counterproductive it is.

Wasnt as loud as the boos at the end mind you.

Only positive was Tierney surviving the full 90 mins & playing well. 

So slow & predictable that performance. Our alleged big players, McGinn & McTominay where rubbish,  Patterson dreadful but he did get a bit better 2nd half so I'll not give up on him just yet but please Hickey be fit! Dykes invisible, he is another who looks lacking in confidence , maybe he should shave his head again as at least that makes him look scary to opponents. 

If physically weak defenders Hendry & Cooper start together any game in Germany I seriously fear the very worst. 

2 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Lots of talk about us needing wingers all of a sudden but when Robertson and Hickey are fit and on the pitch they do the job perfectly of providing offensive threat from the flanks, and actually are our main attacking weapon. Unfortunate they were (mostly) absent tonight and it showed.

Patterson was pish tonight but Ralston is never going to make an international standard player so its not really an option to start him. 

Also we need central defenders to be able to carry the ball out from the back. KT obviously does this exceptionally well but the others are more limited and there's too many square passes. Souttar at least offers the possibility of a ball forward.

If Patterson's confidence is shot, if Hickey's still not match fit that leaves us with Ralston at RB and I'd be ok with that. Beyond that Max Johnston, though I'm gutted that Archie Gray appears firmly in the England camp.

11 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Patterson was pish tonight but Ralston is never going to make an international standard player so it’s not really an option to start him. 

Agree about wingers. Not sure were they fit in  a team playing with wingbacks. As an option of the bench you need to make changes in the entire formation. 
disagree about Ralston though. He had to come on tonight to see what he can do. Paterson over the last two games has been awful and nowhere near an international standard player