Euro 2024 Draw - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 Draw

todd

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening games in major tournaments - never easy

1974 - win against minnows (but to no avail, went out on goal difference)

1978 - shock loss (sort of) to unfancied side

1982 - win against minnows (but to no avail, went out on goal difference)

1986 - loss to under-rated pot 4 team in group of death so hardly a shock

1990 - shock loss to minnows, no redeeming features

1992 - narrow defeat to semi-finalists

1996 - draw with quarter finalists

1998 - narrow loss to tournament finalists and reigning world champions

2020 - loss, just a loss with no redeeming features

So, no great expectations, but 1996 our best precedent to take hope from?

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Germany, Hungary and Switzerland.

I mean, could that actually be any kinder?

Thats not a kind group. Hungary and Switzerland are decent sides these days, especially Switzerland and playing the Germany in Germany will be tough.

It's not the worst group but it's still going to be tough to qualify from it.

I think this is a very decent draw. Hungary and Switzerland are good sides but certainly beatable. We have to remember we had a stellar qualifying campaign and I'll bet both those sides would have wanted to avoid us. Germany are having a rough time of it right now but on home turf and tournament football you expect them to get their act together.

Could have been a lot worse. If you were an Albania or Wales fan (should they make it) you'd be spewing. 

Glad we avoided a Pot 4 booby trap in Italy. Not to mention France and England

57 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats not a kind group. Hungary and Switzerland are decent sides these days, especially Switzerland and playing the Germany in Germany will be tough.

Looking at their recent results Switzerland are shite

In their last 7 games they have won once - beating Andorra 3-0 at home

They have drew with Belarus, Israel, & Kosovo twice

We will also find a way to beat Hungary - they are not that good either if you discount the freak England result

Munich, Koln , Stuttgart! Nice.

not been to Munich and Stuttgart before. Really like cologne. An ancient city and the Rhine and Dom are impressive. 
mates misses and myself both called drawing Germany for the opening game. Reckon they know we’re a not nasty bunch in general. Called Hungary too , my pal was getting spooked but we didn’t get Italy as I thought. 
do think we’re odds on to progress. 

8 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Munich, Koln , Stuttgart! Nice.

not been to Munich and Stuttgart before. Really like cologne. An ancient city and the Rhine and Dom are impressive. 
mates misses and myself both called drawing Germany for the opening game. Reckon they know we’re a not nasty bunch in general. Called Hungary too , my pal was getting spooked but we didn’t get Italy as I thought. 
do think we’re odds on to progress. 

The only bookie thats priced it up so far has us at 5/4 against to qualify and 9/1 to win the group.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are Germany, Hungary or Switzerland better than Spain? I say not. We beat them so no reason why we shouldn't fancy our chances here.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It’s close to as kind a group as we could’ve gotten

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Are Germany, Hungary or Switzerland better than Spain? I say not. We beat them so no reason why we shouldn't fancy our chances here.

I can see us going home undefeated ☹️ feck all between Hungary, Switzerland and ourselves. I also doubt Germany will win all 3 of their games, gonna be tight 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It’s close to as kind a group as we could’ve gotten

You think?

Hungary are probably the second best pot 2 team. Looking at their results over the last 2 years they have beaten England twice. They have a win and a draw over Germany. They have 2 wins v Serbia and a win v Poland. Thats some amazing results considering how ordinary their squad is. 

Switzerland are probably the second best pot 4 team. They have a strong squad and have done relatively well in recent years although somebody earlier in the thread said they have had poor results recently.

Germany might currently be one of weaker pot 1 teams but they are still the home nation and they often pull themselves together for major tournaments. They still have a squad full of top players as well.

It's not the worst group but theres a couple of groups I would definitely swap with if given the chance.

Hungary are not bullet-proof. If Bulgaria and Lithuania can get something off them as they did in the Euros qualifying so can we. You do realise that Switzerland won less than half of their qualifying matches don't you? And that was in a group with none of the big guns in finishing behind Romania and unable to beat the likes of Kosovo home or away. And Germany is the glamour tie and they are one of the weakest of the top seeds. Last time we went to Germany for a qualifying match we lost narrowly 2-1 when we had a weaker time than now and Germany had a stronger team than now.

Germany were about the best we could have hoped for out of the top seeds. Second seeds Hungary were one of the stronger sides but sooner them than Turkey or Denmark. As for the fourth seeds sooner Switzerland than Italy or Serbia or Wales/Poland plus play-off path with Ukraine in it.

You can mess your pants all you want about results Hungary have had of  late but if so do not ignore the fact we have beaten the likes of Spain, Denmark, Ukraine and Austria too in recent times.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Could be better and could be worse. Despite Germany not being in form, they've only been playing friendlies and to come up against them as the host nation will be really tough. Hungary are probably slightly better than us but their qualifying results don't make me fear them that much.  I know they beat England in the NL but bigger nations treat those games a s friendlies. Not really seen much of Switzerland but they didn't do that well in qualifying.

I worry about our attacking options, though I accept most of our goals tend to come from elsewhere. CB's are still a major worry for me and I'll be relieved if Hanley is back and on form.

I think the difference will be if Tierney is fit or not.