Euro 2024 Draw - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 Draw

todd

4 points should guarantee getting us through, but 3 might just be enough? If we can take a point from our first game it would be a good start, but there is no reason that we shouldn't be thinking about beating them. If we can get a full strength team out, then we have a decent chance. But if we have a few key players out, then we could struggle against any of the teams in our group. 

I'm a bit concerned about the physicality of all three teams that we will face. They are all filled with big strong athletes, and when playing 3 big games in the space of 9 days then that could just be the difference between progressing and not. That extra day recovery we are getting, because we play in the opening game, might help us just a wee bit. I think an extra day recovery can make a big difference at these tournaments.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

4 points should guarantee getting us through, but 3 might just be enough? 

Possibly, but last time Finland and Slovakia were eliminated on 3 points. In 2016, it happened to Albania and Turkey. So really need a win and a draw to be safe.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Possibly, but last time Finland and Slovakia were eliminated on 3 points. In 2016, it happened to Albania and Turkey. So really need a win and a draw to be safe.

Aye, I think so too. Could we be the first team to get knocked out after getting 4 points?

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, I think so too. Could we be the first team to get knocked out after getting 4 points?

The biggest risk for us finishing third is that our group is completed first, so you definitely don't want to be setting a target for other groups.

Remember Albania in 2016 having to sit about their hotel waiting for days while four other teams overtook them.

9 hours ago, one t in scotland said:

If we're fretting about playing a Germany side in atrocious form and Hungary/ Switzerland teams who had mixed results in terrible groups what are we doing there ?

Assuming no injury crisis this is a great chance to qualify.

Don't think anyones fretting, just acknowledging that we have some decent teams in our group.

In normal circumstances Hungary would be a team we would want to play but looking at recent form(last 3 years) it could be tougher match than normal.

Swiss are strong on paper and have been a good team over the 10 years(I think). Recent forms a bit poor but they will be a tough match for us as well.

Overall theres a decent chance we can get through the groups. I would probably give us a 1/3 chance but thats me being slightly pessimistic due to our previous record in tournaments.

7 hours ago, Marky said:

Their results against England and Germany were a year and a half ago. 

Surely their results against Luxembourg, Lithuania and Montenegro are more reflective of their recent form?

I'm not saying they're not a decent side, but they are no better than us, going by their qualifying campaign as opposed to Nations League games from 18 months ago.

A year and a half isn't long in international football. If we had those results a year and half ago we would still be super confident and on a high even if our recent form was average. 

In fact arguably our recent form has been average(albeit against some decent sides)but we are still full of confidence on the back of our form over the last three years. 

Swiss have recent tournament experience, but Hungary less so.   Probably doesn't matter unless you get through the group stage?   Hungary (given some of their recent results) would have wanted our 1st go at Germany, so we should relish it.

[I shat my breeks when we came out the hat first in '98, and continued to do so for about a year... i.e. until well into the game, even though I knew that previous openers up until then were often dour 0-0 with pressure mostly on the hosts.   I still want a win this time though 😄]

Strength in depth:   We agree that we've missed a few players in recent games right?   So that will obviously show if some miss the tournament or we pick up key injuries before/during the group or yellows during.   Dunno how deep the quality of our immediate opponents is, but I don't think we can sustain too much damage. 23 man squads vs 26 probably hurts us less than marquee teams though.

Oh, and good point Orraloon about recovery time by starting 1st in the opener.   Designed to help the host in this case, but only helps us if we get through the group stage...

Rambling pish over and out...

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Oh, and good point Orraloon about recovery time by starting 1st in the opener.   Designed to help the host in this case, but only helps us if we get through the group stage...

I was just thinking about the second game to be honest. 

On 12/4/2023 at 11:41 PM, Grim Jim said:

[I shat my breeks when we came out the hat first in '98, and continued to do so for about a year... i.e. until well into the game, even though I knew that previous openers up until then were often dour 0-0 with pressure mostly on the hosts. 

The opening games were contested by the holders, not the hosts. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Screenshot_20231216_185757_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231216_185849_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231216_185908_Chrome.jpg

What's the difference between briefs and tickets? Because the Scottish media, The Daily Record the worst offenders, just can't seem to make up their mind which word to use, even in the same fuckin sentence 

7 hours ago, todd said:

What's the difference between briefs and tickets? Because the Scottish media, The Daily Record the worst offenders, just can't seem to make up their mind which word to use, even in the same fuckin sentence 

You can’t keep yer baws in tickets?