Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Probably because we normally balls these situations up?

This time it does feel different because of the run we are on and we have a 100% record against Cyprus but I must admit I’m a bit nervous myself. 

Aye, Georgia away in 2015 and, even more so, 2007, spring to mind.  😳

1 hour ago, StirlingEgg said:

That's quite a sobering read. I'm often amazed at the detail some folk's brains can accommodate! 

It's a worryingly plausible scenario too. 😳😳

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think the problem is we don't think Norway will beat Spain, if they do it could easily come down to a winner takes all game at Hampden. 

That's true, but on their day Norway are capable of beating Spain. 

I watched their away game against Spain and they were slightly unlucky to lose as heavily as they did; and let's not forget, they were only two or three minutes away from beating us before they went to pieces at the end. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, Georgia away in 2015 and, even more so, 2007, spring to mind.  😳

It's a worryingly plausible scenario too. 😳😳

That's true, but on their day Norway are capable of beating Spain. 

I watched their away game against Spain and they were slightly unlucky to lose as heavily as they did; and let's not forget, they were only two or three minutes away from beating us before they went to pieces at the end. 

Aye anyone who thinks we have done enough to qualify already probably hasn’t been following Scotland for as long as I have. This could easily go tits up very quickly if things don’t go our way. 

Anything less than a win tonight and the familiar dread will start to sink in. 

We are a completely different team than he ones who have crumbled in the past though but tonight is the ultimate test of that. Win tonight and show we have a proper winning mentality and we should qualify comfortably. 

As for Norway being unlucky against Spain aye they had chances to score but did they take them? They didn’t have the Niagara Falls to put us away either. Or to win in Georgia. Unless something has drastically changed in the Norway camp I can’t see them winning their last 4 matches. 

22 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I seem to remremember Wales winning their first 4 games in a qualifying campaign and still didn't qualify. Around 2004ish. That is pretty much the only reason there is even a slither of doubt that we'll qualify. 

Not that they are truly comparable, but after winning the first four games, Wales only got 1 point in the next four and still finished second only going out through the playoffs (as other have pointed out).

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye anyone who thinks we have done enough to qualify already probably hasn’t been following Scotland for as long as I have. This could easily go tits up very quickly if things don’t go our way. 

We are a completely different team than he ones who have crumbled in the past though but tonight is the ultimate test of that. Win tonight and show we have a proper winning mentality and we should qualify comfortably. 

As for Norway being unlucky against Spain aye they had chances to score but did they take them? They didn’t have the Niagara Falls to put us away either. Or to win in Georgia. Unless something has drastically changed in the Norway camp I can’t see them winning their last 4 matches. 

Very good post. To me this is the most important match of the campaign. This will see if we REALLY have the desire and the balls to qualify.. It also shows the other countries in our group that we mean business and are no fuckin about.. A win tonight pretty much qualifies us and puts tremendous pressure on the teams below us.. Not just that, it psychologically gives are squad another level, as to, " let's not just qualify, let's win the fuckin group"..... 

2 minutes ago, rOsCo2 said:

Not that they are truly comparable, but after winning the first four games, Wales only got 1 point in the next four and still finished second only going out through the playoffs (as other have pointed out).

1 point would probably be enough for second for us as well as long as it’s against Norway and they don’t beat Spain. I really hope it doesn’t get that close though. 

A win tonight and a draw in Oslo on Tuesday would be lovely. Not too much to ask is it? 😂

I’m pretty sure that would make us the only European team to be the first to be eliminated from a tournament and the first to qualify for a tournament within a 10 year period (I’m not sure if anyone else can qualify before next Tuesday night actually - England maybe?). What a turnaround that would be in a decade. 

The most optimism I've seen on the Board in donks. It's great to see. 

No nonsense tonight. 3 points and we give ourselves a momentous opportunity. I too remember the away fixtures in Georgia where we've blown campaigns before so let's get it done! 

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Very good post. To me this is the most important match of the campaign. This will see if we REALLY have the desire and the balls to qualify.. It also shows the other countries in our group that we mean business and are no fuckin about.. A win tonight pretty much qualifies us and puts tremendous pressure on the teams below us.. Not just that, it psychologically gives are squad another level, as to, " let's not just qualify, let's win the fuckin group"..... 

👍

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Spot on mate. 

If we win tonight we should be aiming to win the group and be one of the best qualifiers.

Cyprus are as good as out and have nothing to play for tonight except pride. We have everything to play for. Our players should be absolutely buzzing for this game tonight and should be looking to blow Cyprus away. 

If only it was that easy. 😂

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No it’s very much still possible. 

If we beat Cyprus and draw with Georgia and lose our other 2 games we would have 16 points. 

If Spain lose to Norway but win the rest of their games they would win the group with 18 points. 

If Norway win their remaining games and beat us by 2 clear goals at Hampden they would finish on 16 points and qualify in second place ahead of us on head to head record. 

A similar outcome with Georgia qualifying ahead of us with us both on 16 points is also possible but far less likely as they would need to win in Norway and beat Spain once. 

I will bet anything that will not happen.

For that to happen it would take us implode like we haven't done over a longer spell than anything else that we have done for years.

It would take Georgia to go on an unparrelleled run for them tying together more back-to-back wins than ever before to qualify which they have never done before. And from what I saw of them at Hampden that is beyond them.

Norway also would need to have an amazing turn around in form and results which I cannot see happening.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I will bet anything that will not happen.

For that to happen it would take us implode like we haven't done over a longer spell than anything else that we have done for years.

It would take Georgia to go on an unparrelleled run for them tying together more back-to-back wins than ever before to qualify which they have never done before. And from what I saw of them at Hampden that is beyond them.

Norway also would need to have an amazing turn around in form and results which I cannot see happening.

I didn’t say it was likely. It’s just not impossible. 

I don’t think is losing to Spain and drawing in Georgia would be an implosion either. You could argue a draw in Georgia would actually be a good result given our history there. 

If we go into our last game against Norway on 16 points and Norway have beaten Spain and are on 13 points then we would still very much be in command and I think we would all have happily taken that position when the draw was made. 

If we then allowed Norway to beat us by 2 clear goals to eliminate us we would only have ourselves to blame and could have no complaints. 

I understand the caution most people are having in the build up but personally I've been buzzing for this game since the final whistles went last Saturday afternoon!  This current group of players are a completely different beast to teams of the past and I'm more than confident they won't let us down tonight.

In all honesty I don't think I've been looking forward to a Scotland game this much solely for footballing reasons since Craig Brown's era.  For years the excitement was mostly based around meeting up with friends for a mighty piss up before and after the game, the game itself was just a bonus if we won!  Now I'm genuinely excited to watch this team play!

I'm going for 2-0 tonight

13 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

What’s Haaland’s record for call-offs like? Just wonder, if it looks like a long shot for Norway to qualify would he start being ‘injured’ more. Sure Man City would be happy with that….

Whatever happens, don’t want to go into the last game needing anything, would be bricking it.

Noticed he was on the bench for Norways friendly against Sudan this week. Would be a strange one unless he is carrying an injury.

Begining to think that elite players at small nations need very little excuse to not play.

Hat trick boy at the weekend Ferguson, no show for Ireland midweek.

Maaybe Fraser thought he was an elite player too, hopefully Anderson doesn't.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Noticed he was on the bench for Norways friendly against Sudan this week. Would be a strange one unless he is carrying an injury.

Begining to think that elite players at small nations need very little excuse to not play.

Hat trick boy at the weekend Ferguson, no show for Ireland midweek.

Maaybe Fraser thought he was an elite player too, hopefully Anderson doesn't.

Jordan wasn’t it?

I would imagine they were keeping him fresh for their must win match against Georgia on Tuesday. If he had picked up an injury last night it would have been viewed as a disaster for them. 

49 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

I understand the caution most people are having in the build up but personally I've been buzzing for this game since the final whistles went last Saturday afternoon!  This current group of players are a completely different beast to teams of the past and I'm more than confident they won't let us down tonight.

In all honesty I don't think I've been looking forward to a Scotland game this much solely for footballing reasons since Craig Brown's era.  For years the excitement was mostly based around meeting up with friends for a mighty piss up before and after the game, the game itself was just a bonus if we won!  Now I'm genuinely excited to watch this team play!

I'm going for 2-0 tonight

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS 

Mon Scotland

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Norway remind me of some of the scotland teams we have followed since 98, always some sort of hard luck story and they don;t have the stomach to win overseas.

I agree that we haven't qualified yet and we should be confident about tonight. I think the only thing I would disagree with is the dread, it won;t set in with me. I have always maintained we are a better side than i have seen in years but there will be slip in every campaign because we are not an invincible top seed. If we draw or lose tonight I will still be very confident that this team will want to make amends for it and they will by beating Georgia away and Norway at home. 

I'm usually much more nervous about ties like this and I think that says a lot about how Steve Clarke and the players have changed perceptions over the past 4 years.

I still think it'll be tricky but I also think we have the quality and belief in the squad to get the 3 points.

I also agree with the posts about this being a really vital game because a win tonight and Norway know they'll need to win all their remaining games to have any chance of catching us.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Remember that below us is still really tight. There is no point in Cyprus sitting back tonight as 3 points puts them right into the mix for 2nd. So I don't think it'll be a back to the wall performance from them, which will give us plenty of chances 

If the Cyprus players seriously think they still have a chance of second we are in luck tonight because they must be on drugs. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Norway remind me of some of the scotland teams we have followed since 98, always some sort of hard luck story and they don;t have the stomach to win overseas.

I agree that we haven't qualified yet and we should be confident about tonight. I think the only thing I would disagree with is the dread, it won;t set in with me. I have always maintained we are a better side than i have seen in years but there will be slip in every campaign because we are not an invincible top seed. If we draw or lose tonight I will still be very confident that this team will want to make amends for it and they will by beating Georgia away and Norway at home. 

Depends how the game goes I suppose. If we pin Cyprus back for 90 minutes and hit the woodwork a few times, force their keeper into a string of great saves and are genuinely unlucky not to win I won’t be panicking. 

If we do a Tbilisi and play like absolute dildos then I will be very concerned to say the least.