Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, romanticscot said:

Pull up a chair and discussĀ 

We're the lucky ones , the weather is only going to be suitable to pull up a chair & drink!Ā 

Ā  Ā I'm not going as I'm in Majorca reluctantly instead but I'm quiet nervous as I really don't like us playing in this heat. We seem to have developed a never say die attitude/ belief which is great but hides how's bang average we where in Norway,Ā  I really hope our luck doesn't run out anytime soonšŸ€šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ©·

I seem to remremember Wales winning their first 4 games in a qualifying campaign and still didn't qualify. Around 2004ish. That is pretty much the only reason there is even a slither of doubt that we'll qualify.Ā 

However, it's not like our nearest rivals are flying. Plus, there are 2 teams that qualify. Not one.Ā 

If we beat Cyprus, I think we know it's over and we can start fantasising about the tournament. (Disclosure: I already believe we've qualified)

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I seem to remremember Wales winning their first 4 games in a qualifying campaign and still didn't qualify. Around 2004ish. That is pretty much the only reason there is even a slither of doubt that we'll qualify.Ā 

However, it's not like our nearest rivals are flying. Plus, there are 2 teams that qualify. Not one.Ā 

If we beat Cyprus, I think we know it's over and we can start fantasising about the tournament. (Disclosure: I already believe we've qualified)

If we don't manage to win tomorrow the group does open up significantly and will give Norway that glimmer of hope.Ā  Doesn't bear thinking about, let's just finish this.Ā  Can't wait til tomorrow evening now

I can't say I enjoy the posts above, but you guys are talking sense.Ā  An early goal would do wonders as they have only scored two goals so far and let in 8 in only three matches. We will get it done, I reckon the occasion more than the opposition will be what creates some nerves. Another three points gets us so much closer and this is our best opportunity out of the remaining 4 fixtures (including a home fixture against Norway).Ā  It's not done even if we win, but it puts so much pressure on Norway that they must win every single game (I am aware Georgia are not out yet but let's be realistic).Ā  Spain too will know they must take care of their business.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My only concerns are:-

The heat but we managed to finish strongly in baking heat in Norway.

Breaking down their defence as we know they will park the bus.

Thats one thing I am not concerned with. We have the player to unlock these types of defences. Its not like the old days when we would lump balls up to a packed defence. Our Midfield and full backs have the skill and the patience to pass the ball and unlock a defence. Its us fans who will need to be patient tomorrow night

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats one thing I am not concerned with. We have the player to unlock these types of defences. Its not like the old days when we would lump balls up to a packed defence. Our Midfield and full backs have the skill and the patience to pass the ball and unlock a defence. Its us fans who will need to be patient tomorrow night

I agree. Those, I should point out, are only mild concerns.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think a lot will depend too on Dykes fitness but if it isn't Dykes and Adams up top then I see Christie playing just behind Adams in the supporting striker-role.

I wouldnā€™t be against Christie starting. Be interesting see what Clarke does with Mcginn, Mctominay, McGregor and Gilmour. All worthy of a start. McGinn and McGregor are undroppable and Mctominay has been banging in the goals. He might start all 4. Ā 

Edited by bigfingers

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

I wouldnā€™t be against Christie starting. Be interesting see what Clarke does with Mcginn, Mctominay, McGregor and Gilmour. All worthy of a start. McGinn and McGregor are undroppable and Mctominay has been banging on the goals. He might start all 4. Ā 

No I can't see all four starting unless we are switching to a back four.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

The other option is Mctominay, McGregor, Mcginn and Christie supporting dykes or adams. Ā Itā€™s tricky because Gilmour is in good form.Ā 

Yes that is the option I'd go for. The McTominay, McGregor and McGinn midfield has served us too well to be changing it though Gilmour could get his chance at some point of the match.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

We're the lucky ones , the weather is only going to be suitable to pull up a chair & drink!Ā 

Ā  Ā I'm not going as I'm in Majorca reluctantly instead but I'm quiet nervous as I really don't like us playing in this heat. We seem to have developed a never say die attitude/ belief which is great but hides how's bang average we where in Norway,Ā  I really hope our luck doesn't run out anytime soonšŸ€šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ©·

Even though it will still be pretty warm, at least it's not being played mid afternoonĀ 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'll be fine with whatever team he picks, we know Clarke well enough to trust , if he wants to start with 2 up fair enough but I've a feeling he won't & Christie starts. Reckon only KT is guaranteed in the 3, I'm okay with any 2 from the other 4 if they are all match fit. I say this as I've no idea if Hendry has been playing in the Saudi league.

Ā  Ā If we win surely we'd Have to be heavily beaten in our last 3 games to not qualify automatically šŸ¤” Baring in mind it's Spain next lets just hope the boys get it done tomorrow so we can relax & smile all the way to next summer šŸ©·šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ˜Š

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My only concerns are:-

The heat but we managed to finish strongly in baking heat in Norway.

Breaking down their defence as we know they will park the bus.

Iā€™m not convinced they will be that defensive. They had a go at Georgia and were unlucky not to take something from the game. Surely theyā€™ll come out and try to attack at least a bit home?Ā 

Even if they do park the bus Iā€™m not as worried about breaking them down as I would have been a couple of years ago.Ā 

The weather is a concern. Will probably be around 30 degrees same as it was on Oslo but the Cypriots will be far more used to that than the Norwegians.Ā 

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

That's right, it was the Euro 2004 qualifiers. They ended up losing to Russia in the playoffs, who fielded an illegible player in the second leg, yet for some strange absolutely non-corrupt reason were allowed to progress to the finals anyway.