Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

They also have to play each other so only one of those two teams can catch us. At least one of them will be eliminated on Tuesday (hopefully both if they draw). 

We’ll see what Norway are really made of next week. 

Yes and I'd say that if any team has to win that game it would be better if it were Norway as there hopes will be extinguished by Spain who they have to play in Oslo. We don't want Georgia winning keeping their qualifying hopes mathematically alive and potentially fired up for our game in Tblisi.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and I'd say that if any team has to win that game it would be better if it were Norway as there hopes will be extinguished by Spain who they have to play in Oslo. We don't want Georgia winning keeping their qualifying hopes mathematically alive and potentially fired up for our game in Tblisi.

I think Norway will thrash Georgia. 

There is nothing left to say that hasn’t been said. It is an incredible run , the only time I felt any pressure at all last night was perhaps for 10 mins after we scored. They had 2 or 3 chances but even then , because of our goal, it wasn’t exactly squeaky bum time.  
It’s so unusual to be the team that is comfortably up and in total control. We watched it in the local pub. For years we have gone there for away games we don’t attend , about 10 people usually in the pub and half of them with only one eye on the game. Last night you could not move. 

The whole team were fantastic and Gunn is looking confident and solid . 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I was actually thinking a Georgia win would be better than a Norway win. 

Norway have a better chance of beating Spain in Oslo than Georgia do in Spain surely? 

Norway could win their final 4 games but Georgia won’t. They have just lost 1-7 at home to Spain so they won’t win away from home. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I was actually thinking a Georgia win would be better than a Norway win. 

Norway have a better chance of beating Spain in Oslo than Georgia do in Spain surely? 

Norway could win their final 4 games but Georgia won’t. They have just lost 1-7 at home to Spain so they won’t win away from home. 

Well it is mainly on the grounds of I would sooner have Georgia's hopes extinguished before we go to Tblisi. In all honesty I see neither Georgia or Norway beating Spain who cannot afford to have any more slip-ups.

31 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If Norway win their remaining games they’ll have 16 points. If Spain win theirs, bar the Norway game, they’ll have 18. If we lose our remaining games we’ll have 15. Sobering.

Chances of all that happening must be tiny. Maybe 1 in 300 chance. 

Odds of us losing in georgia 6/1

Odds of Norway beating Spain 8/1 

Odds of Norway beating us at home 4/1

That comes out 1 in 315 chance. 

Odds probably increase to 1 in 400 if we get a draw in georgia as norway would have to win by 2 clear goals at hampden.

Lol not an expert in gambling or odds so maybe someone will correct my calculations which are just based on an online odds calculator.

Edited by mccaughey85

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Chances of all that happening must be tiny. Maybe 1 in 300 chance. 

Odds of us losing in georgia 6/1

Odds of Norway beating Spain 8/1 

Odds of Norway beating us at home 4/1

That comes out 1 in 315 chance. 

Odds probably increase to 1 in 400 if we get a draw in georgia as norway would have to win by 2 clear goals at hampden.

Lol not an expert in gambling or odds so maybe someone will correct my calculations which are just based on an online odds calculator.

Being somewhat long in the tooth I can’t discount Scotland getting zero points from the next 3 games.

I’m happy to say though that this is the best Scotland “team” of my lifetime, and I think it will get a fair bit better still.

On 9/9/2023 at 5:11 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Being somewhat long in the tooth I can’t discount Scotland getting zero points from the next 3 games.

I’m happy to say though that this is the best Scotland “team” of my lifetime, and I think it will get a fair bit better still.

I really can’t see us losing in Georgia again. I probably said that the last 2 times we’ve had to go there to be fair but this time I think we’ll actually win or at least get a point. 

Georgia looked terrible for most of the match against Spain the other day. Constantly giving the ball away. They looked a bit better around the time they got their goal but apart from that spell they barely got out of their own half. 

If we go to Georgia with the right attitude and play well they should be there for the taking. 

35 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I really can’t see us losing in Georgia again. I probably said that the last 2 times we’ve had to go there to be fair but this time I think we’ll actually win or at least get a point. 

Georgia looked terrible for most of the match against Spain the other day. Constantly giving the ball away. They looked a bit better around the time they got their goal but apart from that spell they barely got out of their own half. 

If we go to Georgia with the right attitude and play well they should be there for the taking. 

I think you are correct, but some people seem to think we’ve already qualified. Still work to do. 

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think you are correct, but some people seem to think we’ve already qualified. Still work to do. 

Some people thought we had qualified as soon as we beat Spain. Then a lot more people thought we had when we beat Norway.

It will take some turnaround for us not to qualify from here but I won’t believe it until it has actually happened. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Mentality & reputation plays a big part in International Football

Georgia were beat before the teams lined up because of who they were playing

Same thing happens when teams go to Wembley, San Siro, etc

We lost that a while back which is why a lot of these minnows raised their games against us

The good thing to see is that Georgia at Hampden and Cyprus away had the belief sucked right out of them early on and they just about downed tools