Europe 23/24 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Does 3rd place in the Europa drop into the conference play off the same way as 3rd in Champions League drops into Europa?

I think they went into a playoff round last season, or was that just for CL dropouts, either way, I’m sure that’s stopping after this season. 

Once you’re out, you’re out. 

Rangers will need a lot of character and big boy pants for that second leg

When there are a lot of new faces that might not happen 

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Rangers are honkin, some of those new signings are dire man. Long season ahead for them

Early days yet. Celtic were honking for the first couple of months under Ange with a new team and they turned out alright. 

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No offence ramy but you surely know the answer yo this question? If you were just trying to start a conversation then fair enough but there isn't a football fan that I'm aware of who doesn't know the qualifiers are played over two legs. It's been that way in Europe for as long as anyone can remember. 

Maybe some older fans can answer this but has there ever been a European tournament played over one leg out with a final?

Sorry to contradict you VA.

In 2020/21 the Champions League qualifiers were single leg affairs due to the pandemic.

Celtic beat Reykjavik 6-0 and then lost to Ferencvaros 1-2, both at home before going to the Europa League.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Sorry to contradict you VA.

In 2020/21 the Champions League qualifiers were single leg affairs due to the pandemic.

Celtic beat Reykjavik 6-0 and then lost to Ferencvaros 1-2, both at home before going to the Europa League.

Covid is an exception to the rule here. Tradionally these ties are 2 leg affairs. 

34 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They at least looked like they were a work in progress TBF with a new way of playing. 

I don't think it's unusual for teams with the amount of new players we have to look a bit disjointed early on.  I'm not pushing the panic button just yet.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't think it's unusual for teams with the amount of new players we have to look a bit disjointed early on.  I'm not pushing the panic button just yet.

True - Killie had more new players in our team on Saturday than Rangers did though. 

Might be a case of our new players mostly knowing what to except - Rangers ones looked like they expected walkover. 

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

True - Killie had more new players in our team on Saturday than Rangers did though. 

Might be a case of our new players mostly knowing what to except - Rangers ones looked like they expected walkover. 

Or maybe Beale is a shite manager who has signed shite players. 😆 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeah I'm not saying it happens every time but I think there's way too many people, both Rangers fans and not, already writing them off on the basis of 2 very early games.  Henrik Larsson couldn't kick his own arse for the first 6 months and turned out to be one of the best players to play in Scottish football.  We looked much better in the first half last night and 3 or 4-0 at halftime wouldn't have flattered us so there is some encouragement there.

Really good performance by Hearts. They were the better team although Rosenburg always looked like scoring 1 or 2 just from counter but also Hearts are still a tad nieve at this level.

Play the same way next week and no reason Hearts cant go through.

Watching Hibs now. Started the game well but its so open.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Great result for Hibs. I think they got it spot on with tactics as well. Fancy them to progress. Hearts have a sniff as well. 

Fantastic performance from Joe Newell who is a player I’ve always liked. It’s about time these teams rewrote the script in Europe. I’d fancy both to go through now, although nobody would be surprised to see them make heavy weather of it!

I know this probably only really impacts Rangers or Celtic (and mostly Celtic tbh) but 2 wins over Swiss teams this week is positive for the coefficient as Switzerland were creeping up on us points wise after a pretty poor season last from us last year.  Turkey and Austria are the other countries gaining on us now, with Turkey certain to overtake us next season I think.

On 8/9/2023 at 6:42 PM, dandydunn said:

😂😂

Got any plans to head to any of them at all?

Sure, although none of the dates are ideal given what we have in our diary - There is some flexibility, so fingers crossed

Need to take care of the play off first I guess - Really hoping it's Gothenburg (Hacken), just for the nostalgia

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I know this probably only really impacts Rangers or Celtic (and mostly Celtic tbh) but 2 wins over Swiss teams this week is positive for the coefficient as Switzerland were creeping up on us points wise after a pretty poor season last from us last year.  Turkey and Austria are the other countries gaining on us now, with Turkey certain to overtake us next season I think.

Impacts whoever finishes 3rd arguably as much if not more.

The guarenteed millions for group stage football is huge for teams like Hearts last year and Aberdeen this year.