Team For Tuesday Night - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team For Tuesday Night

The Black Bra

34 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree they are no pushovers and I am not confident we’ll beat them in our away game (a point might even be a struggle) but they are a pot 4 team for a reason. 

If we play anywhere near our best we should beat them at home. 

I doubt it will be comfortable 4-0 win or anything like that but I fancy us to do the business. 

Yeh the away game will be tough. I would happy take a draw in that game.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I’m reading two yellows gets you banned for a game - is this not correct? 

Good old Wikipedia also saying he’s out of the squad suspended too..!

It’s 3 bookings for a suspension in qualifiers according to UEFA. It’s 2 in finals and the nations league I think. 

Porteous shouldn’t be suspended for Tuesday and I can’t see anywhere that he is. 

I’m pretty sure he was booked against Cyprus and obviously he was booked yesterday but I don’t think he was booked in the Spain game. 

Think we need to sit our best defensive right back on the wee winger ,he likes to hang out wide then cut in .Tricky player but took a fair bit of punishment ,Gogic almost beheaded him . Will he last another full game ? 
Big gap between their midfield and defence .The Cypriots really should have won as they hit underside of the bar twice .
Georgia looked awful defending corners ,don’t attack the ball , cumbersome , not too good on the deck either.

My worries are how well we recover from yesterday's game physically and mentally. Physically it was an exhausting game in searing heat. Mentally it was such a high bit will be up to Clarke to keep their mind on the game and make sure we are fully focussed. Let them know qualification is not in the bag despite the massive win in Norway.

If we turn up and put in a decent performance we win. We are the better side.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

How can he be suspended? Hasn’t he only had 2 yellows?

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s 3 bookings for a suspension in qualifiers according to UEFA. It’s 2 in finals and the nations league I think. 

Porteous shouldn’t be suspended for Tuesday and I can’t see anywhere that he is. 

I’m pretty sure he was booked against Cyprus and obviously he was booked yesterday but I don’t think he was booked in the Spain game. 

Aye that’s what I thought. 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes Porteous only has two yellows so should be available for Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes Porteous only has two yellows so should be available for Tuesday.

Call me cynical but I wouldn’t be surprised if he picks up a late yellow on Tuesday if we are winning comfortably and he is playing. 

Better for him to be suspended for Cyprus away than any of our last 3 games. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Call me cynical but I wouldn’t be surprised if he picks up a late yellow on Tuesday if we are winning comfortably and he is playing. 

Tbh with probably Hanley and McKenna back by then we would have plenty of options defensively.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Tbh with probably Hanley and McKenna back by then we would have plenty of options defensively.

True. We always seem to have injury issues at central defence though so the more we have available later in the campaign the better. 

It’s incredible how many options we do have in defence now compared to 2/3 years ago. Makes such a difference. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

True. We always seem to have injury issues at central defence though so the more we have available later in the campaign the better. 

It’s incredible how many options we do have in defence now compared to 2/3 years ago. Makes such a difference. 

Yes. At present we have Hanley, McKenna, Hendry, Porteous, Souttar, Tierney and Cooper all of which I am comfortable with starting games.

In case of repeated cautions:

1. in the qualifying competition, players and team officials are suspended for the next competition match after three cautions, as well as after the fifth and any subsequent caution;

2. in the final tournament, players and team officials are suspended for the next competition match after two cautions, as well as after the fourth caution.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt that given that we'd be looking at leaving Cyprus on 15 points. Full strength team will be required!

32 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I doubt that given that we'd be looking at leaving Cyprus on 15 points. Full strength team will be required!

Yeah true. I’m hoping our defence won’t be troubled too much in Cyprus though but that’s possibly wishful thinking. 

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes. At present we have Hanley, McKenna, Hendry, Porteous, Souttar, Tierney and Cooper all of which I am comfortable with starting games.

Interestingly they're all players who have been around for a few years. And players who, a few years back, we probably had major doubts about (even maybe KT in that position). What's changed, have they become better players, better coaching, better understanding of what is required from them, combination of all the above?

If Tierney is fit I hope to god we're not considering going with 5 at back at home to Georgia. It's such a negative tactic against 'lesser' teams and completely restricts our ability to play through the lines and dominate in the attacking third.

Get an extra attacking midfielder on from the start, move Robertson up to LM/LW and let's get this game won. 

17 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

If Tierney is fit I hope to god we're not considering going with 5 at back at home to Georgia. It's such a negative tactic against 'lesser' teams and completely restricts our ability to play through the lines and dominate in the attacking third.

Get an extra attacking midfielder on from the start, move Robertson up to LM/LW and let's get this game won. 

With that system though, we've seen in the past against 'lesser' teams that both Robertson and Tierney will bomb forward so essentially you've only got 3 at the back. I'm glad we have the 4-2-3-1 Plan B now though as I think we lacked that a bit earlier on when Clarke took over.
I'd have no qualms starting with the 3/5 and then later in the game if we're still trying to break though switch it to a 4.

I'm a big fan of calum mcgregor though i'd be tempted to start with gilmour for tomorrow night just because he offered a bit more going forward

23 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

5 with Tierney can be more attacking then a back 4. 

Our wing backs will push forward and Tierney steps into midfield / left wing when we have the ball. Makes it difficult to defend against as who marks the centre back overlapping the wing back?

Having 4 at the back makes things much more predictable. I would be more confident with us scoring with Tierney in a 5 than with 2 up top in a traditional 442

30 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

Yeh i reckon 451 would be a better option for this game. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Interestingly they're all players who have been around for a few years. And players who, a few years back, we probably had major doubts about (even maybe KT in that position). What's changed, have they become better players, better coaching, better understanding of what is required from them, combination of all the above?

I would say its a combination of things you mention and with that they have become more comfortable and confident playing to this system at international level. On top of that a number of them now have good experience too which is a big help.