Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We probably could have ended up with a draw there. Certainly should have had one penalty maybe two. Good to see the boys pushing on, not accepting their fate……. but make no mistake about it, John McGinn dragged us back into that single handedly. It was 2-0 going on 5 or 6 before his goal.

All in all a pointless exercise.

Edited by slasher

Not a good performance.  (Especially agree with the posters above that we didn't take the opportunity to give a back up keeper some minutes).

I thought there were a few positives though?:

• Christie
  • McGinn
  • Ramsay: Okay, not yet a patch on the likes of Patterson or Hickey, but not at all bad for a debut (in a hostile environment at that?)

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Hendry and McKenna looked fairly solid the last few matches. He changed it and we look worse. Not a fan of Hanley at all anymore. 

I know Hanley has a modest fan club but I don't get what they see in him. I appreciate he puts the effort in and have no doubt he is proud to pull on the jersey and get out there but all the same ....

He's slow, easily prone to panicking, too often caught out of position, ridiculously clumsy and physically always looks absolutely fucked (face and jersey soaked with sweat, face beetroot red, visibly panting for breath) after about an hour on the park when the rest of his teammates are fine.

I wouldn't pick Hanley anymore. Call it day.

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

We probably could have ended up with a draw there. Certainly should have had one penalty maybe two. Good to see the boys pushing on, not accepting their fate……. but make no mistake about it, John McGinn dragged us back into that single handedly. It was 2-0 going on 5 or 6 before his goal.

All in all a pointless exercise.

Clarke made it a pointless exercise 

Thought there was maybe 20 mins we were OK.

Armstrong is incredibly frustrating. He shouldn't be starting games for Scotland.

Hanley - whilst he had about 18-24 month spell of being decent, is back to being fairly dodgy and a liability in a Scotland.

Cengiz Under is a great wee player.

Why not even bring on Kelly for 20 mins, FFS!

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Was never going to achieve much this friendly , loads of players not interested , no Celtic players .

the timing rubbed home not going the World Cup.

too many playing that don’t play much club football 

good points. It'll be interesting to here what Steve Clarke and his coaching team took from the game?

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I know Hanley has a modest fan club but I don't get what they see in him. I appreciate he puts the effort in and have no doubt he is proud to pull on the jersey and get out there but all the same ....

He's slow, easily prone to panicking, too often caught out of position, ridiculously clumsy and physically always looks absolutely fucked (face and jersey soaked with sweat, face beetroot red, visibly panting for breath) after about an hour on the park when the rest of his teammates are fine.

I wouldn't pick Hanley anymore. Call it day.

Nitpicking perhaps, but he isn’t slow. 

Ramsey was decent. 

said after the Denmark game at hampden that if we want to move forward as a footballing nation, we need to get a goal keeper that can keep possession. Gordon must have gave the ball away about 30 times under no real pressure. 

8 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

Ramsey was decent. 

said after the Denmark game at hampden that if we want to move forward as a footballing nation, we need to get a goal keeper that can keep possession. Gordon must have gave the ball away about 30 times under no real pressure. 

I think thats a bit of an exaggeration. Gordon not being great at passing is the least of our problems. The whole team couldnt string a few passes together in the first half. We looked dire. The goal kicked us into to life and it imroved a bit but tonight was poor overall.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think thats a bit of an exaggeration. Gordon not being great at passing is the least of our problems. The whole team couldnt string a few passes together in the first half. We looked dire. The goal kicked us into to life and it imroved a bit but tonight was poor overall.

We weren’t great but I disagree when you say it’s the least of our problems. You can’t afford to give up possession as much as he did particularly in the first half. If we want to go to Norway and Georgia and look for a win then we need to be able to relieve pressure by going back to the goal keeper and not expect it to be lumped straight to the opposition. Some of his kicking was landing in our own third and putting us under real pressure. He just needs to take a touch and wait for some movement from our defenders. 

19 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I thought he did okay given it was a debut. Clearly has good ball control. A few dicey moments when he was caught with the ball, but improved in that respect as the second half progressed I thought.

Got to disagree. Yup I'm making allowances for his young years and his nerves and my hope that he'll take confidence from his 1st cap , but I just don't see what others see in him. Watching him tonight reminded me of his recent performance against the Turkish under 21's at Tynecastle when he was painfully out of his depth. Not only did he tonight get caught out badly on 2 occasions which could have cost us but he was also regularly found out of position.

Hope he comes good but let's not gloss over how poor he was tonight.

4 minutes ago, marinello said:

Got to disagree. Yup I'm making allowances for his young years and his nerves and my hope that he'll take confidence from his 1st cap , but I just don't see what others see in him. Watching him tonight reminded me of his recent performance against the Turkish under 21's at Tynecastle when he was painfully out of his depth. Not only did he tonight get caught out badly on 2 occasions which could have cost us but he was also regularly found out of position.

I tend to agree, I’ve seen very little to get excited about but I’m not going to write the boy off on a mere 45 minutes and the few bits I’d seen before . However anyone saying anything other than he was  pish tonight is glossing over considerable failings he was very lucky to get away with.

Clarke tried something different tonight with the formation 1st half that didn't work . He had mctominay and mcginn wide of armstrong  in 3 behind dykes with gilmour behind them all on his own.

2nd half when we went to 4231 we again looked gd and robertson in front of tierney worked.

Both of them have to play.

Team going forward I would like to see.

Gordon

Hickey hendry mckenna tierney

Mctominay macgregor

Patterson     mcginn     robertson

Dykes/adams

That's imo all our best players on pitch and against pot a teams we have added defensive awareness with robertson and patterson.

18 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Clarke tried something different tonight with the formation 1st half that didn't work . He had mctominay and mcginn wide of armstrong  in 3 behind dykes with gilmour behind them all on his own.

2nd half when we went to 4231 we again looked gd and robertson in front of tierney worked.

Gordon

Mctominay macgregor

Dykes/adams

That's imo all our best players on pitch and against pot a teams we have added defensive awareness with robertson and patterson.

I think there is a degree of risk as to how Hickey/Patterson and Tierney/Robertson would work. However, I think it's worth a try next year.

It's also time to say thanks and goodbye to Ryan Jack and Grant Hanley, they just haven't got "it" anymore.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

26 minutes ago, marinello said:

I’m with you on this mate. Was surprised to see others thinking he’d done ok. I agree he was completely out of his depth and I actually commented that I hope Patterson and Hickey get back to full fitness asap.

Obviously very, very early days for the boy, but to suggest he was anything other than poor tonight is wrong in my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Gordon

Mctominay macgregor

Dykes/adams

Not sure i would put patterson and robertson on the wings. If any of our full backs are able to play on the wings its tierney. I think its a case of picking one of patterson and hickey and playing tierney left wing with robbo at left back.