Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

Trying to pre-empt the squad for Turkey away. As I mentioned elsewhere, this is likely to be a B international disguised as a full international.

I would say that the vast majority of EPL players will be glad of the break, perhaps some players recently back from injury might need a run out though. Celtic have their Australia tour, so imagine no Celtic players. Seems like a decent opportunity for some of the less established internationals to get a cap and experience a camp, possibly break in some U21s, and get a look generally at the second-string players that we might need to call upon should we be hampered with call-offs. There's probably a chance for slightly more established squad members to break though as leaders (McKenna was captain for our Mexico friendly I remember).

Not sure on squad size, I've gone with around 21, given its only 1 game. Also for the sake of ease, I'm going to ban any of the tired old suggestions (most specifically Ryan Gauld, for example, which is never happening)

GKs

Kelly, McCrorie, Clark

DEFs

Patterson, McKenna, Porteous, Kingsley, Doig, Gallagher, Cooper, Ramsay

MIDs

Jack, Gilmour, Anderson, Campbell, Ferguson, McGinn

FWDs

Brown, Stewart, McKay, McBurnie, Shankland

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Trying to pre-empt the squad for Turkey away. As I mentioned elsewhere, this is likely to be a B international disguised as a full international.

I would say that the vast majority of EPL players will be glad of the break, perhaps some players recently back from injury might need a run out though. Celtic have their Australia tour, so imagine no Celtic players. Seems like a decent opportunity for some of the less established internationals to get a cap and experience a camp, possibly break in some U21s, and get a look generally at the second-string players that we might need to call upon should we be hampered with call-offs. There's probably a chance for slightly more established squad members to break though as leaders (McKenna was captain for our Mexico friendly I remember).

Not sure on squad size, I've gone with around 21, given its only 1 game. Also for the sake of ease, I'm going to ban any of the tired old suggestions (most specifically Ryan Gauld, for example, which is never happening)

GKs

Kelly, McCrorie, Clark

DEFs

Patterson, McKenna, Porteous, Kingsley, Doig, Gallagher, Cooper, Ramsay

MIDs

Jack, Gilmour, Anderson, Campbell, Ferguson, McGinn

FWDs

Brown, Stewart, McKay, McBurnie, Shankland

Ross Stewart is injured. Mowbray said he won't be back before December.

There will be a few call offs but I highly doubt that will be the squad.

Dominic Hyam and Tommy Conway should be up.

17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Conway looks to have matured nicely into senior football and is having a nice season. Having only got his U21 call up in September I doubt they would consider him near ready for a full squad camp, especially when there is an U21 game the same week.

Hyam looks a good shout on paper. I just don't see them calling in a 26-year-old whom I've never seen linked to the senior first team, although he has hit his stride by the looks of it in the last few years.

4 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Conway looks to have matured nicely into senior football and is having a nice season. Having only got his U21 call up in September I doubt they would consider him near ready for a full squad camp, especially when there is an U21 game the same week.

Hyam looks a good shout on paper. I just don't see them calling in a 26-year-old whom I've never seen linked to the senior first team, although he has hit his stride by the looks of it in the last few years.

especially when there is an U21 game the same week.

The U21s do not appear to have any game scheduled.

I just don't see them calling in a 26-year-old whom I've never seen linked to the senior first team

Clarke's scout watched Hyam (and then teammate Michael Rose) just earlier this year whilst at Coventry. So he has been under consideration - https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-rose-hyam-kane-23014851

If Hyam gets promoted with Blackburn it will be very hard (indeed ridiculous) to ignore a central defender playing Premier League football.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

especially when there is an U21 game the same week.

The U21s do not appear to have any game scheduled.

I just don't see them calling in a 26-year-old whom I've never seen linked to the senior first team

Clarke's scout watched Hyam (and then teammate Michael Rose) just earlier this year whilst at Coventry. So he has been under consideration - https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-rose-hyam-kane-23014851

If Hyam gets promoted with Blackburn it will be very hard (indeed ridiculous) to ignore a central defender playing Premier League football.

Scotland U21 host Iceland on 17 November

Fair enough if Hyam does get in on that. Would agree if he's playing week in week out for a team flying in the Championship, he should be good for the squad. He looks to have made a good career for himself over the last 5 years regardless after plying his trade in the non-leagues

1 minute ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Scotland U21 host Iceland on 17 November

Fair enough if Hyam does get in on that. Would agree if he's playing week in week out for a team flying in the Championship, he should be good for the squad. He looks to have made a good career for himself over the last 5 years regardless after plying his trade in the non-leagues

Didn't know about the Iceland. The SFA should up their game when it comes to updating their website.

The U21s are subordinate to the senior team and can afford to lose a couple of players to the senior team and try out others, especially if they are playing Iceland in a friendly match. Personally, I'd like to see Anderson, Conway and Ramsay involved.

With Hyam, as I said, a player who may very well be playing Premier League football next year cannot be ignored.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I see Lowry mentioned a lot on here for potential callups but he barely seems to ever get off the bench for Rangers 

Is he not still out injured, im sure he got a bad one

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

He came on for the last 7 minutes.  Don't remember him getting a touch though.  It could've been worse... he could've stayed with the U19's and been on the end of a 6-2.

Maybe hes just back then, he did go off injured in a game a wee while back

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

Maybe hes just back then, he did go off injured in a game a wee while back

He is just back after 2 months injured, was on the bench against Napoli also. No brainer for me, it’s a B game and he has first team experience in league, cup and CL and has all the hallmarks of a generational talent. 

Said this in the other thread. There is no point or benefit in turning this into a B team type game.

The only way you can judge a players ability is when he plays alongside 1st team players. Fill the team with non 1st team players and it will struggle. Therefore how can you attach any weight to an individuals performance?

We need to have a mix of 1st team players, young players and debutants.

Personally I wouldnt call up guys who id consider to be squad players at best. Guys like Taylor, McLean, Jack, Cooper and possibly others who you know what they bring like Hanley and Armstrong.

Id like to see Ramsay starting but only because Patterson and Hickey are injured / not fully fit and I dont see a long term future for Ralston.

Other than that id give game time to Portious, Hyam, Doig, Ferguson and Elliott.

Maybe start 1 or 2 of the above max and bring the rest on throughout the game.

If Clarke gets a good look at 7 relatively untried players then it would be considered a worthwhile exercise imo.

The EPL guys can have their game time limited to suit their position. Ie Give Robertson and Tierney 30 mins each but guys like Gilmour, McTominay, McKenna, Adams,Christie, Fraser and Dykes would be grateful for as much game time as possible id imagine.

On 11/2/2022 at 3:16 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd agree with these call ups, Conway should get on the pitch also so he is fully Committed to us.

I don't know much about Hyam but would much prefer he was called up than Gallagher. Big Dec has done a good job for us but the squad has  moved on. 

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Said this in the other thread. There is no point or benefit in turning this into a B team type game.

The only way you can judge a players ability is when he plays alongside 1st team players. Fill the team with non 1st team players and it will struggle. Therefore how can you attach any weight to an individuals performance?

We need to have a mix of 1st team players, young players and debutants.

Personally I wouldnt call up guys who id consider to be squad players at best. Guys like Taylor, McLean, Jack, Cooper and possibly others who you know what they bring like Hanley and Armstrong.

Id like to see Ramsay starting but only because Patterson and Hickey are injured / not fully fit and I dont see a long term future for Ralston.

Other than that id give game time to Portious, Hyam, Doig, Ferguson and Elliott.

Maybe start 1 or 2 of the above max and bring the rest on throughout the game.

If Clarke gets a good look at 7 relatively untried players then it would be considered a worthwhile exercise imo.

The EPL guys can have their game time limited to suit their position. Ie Give Robertson and Tierney 30 mins each but guys like Gilmour, McTominay, McKenna, Adams,Christie, Fraser and Dykes would be grateful for as much game time as possible id imagine.

Very sensible post, i agree with nearly all of it. If Ramsey continues to get even on the bench for Liverpool in epl games he is good enough & ready for us. Same with Lowry, now he is fit if he continues getting minutes for Rangers get him on the squad. 

Taylor is a player i used to not rate at all but having watched him in than champs league I'm impressed, he has really improved & works his socks off. 

The one think i question about your post is who is Elliott? Do you mean Elliott Anderson? 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Very sensible post, i agree with nearly all of it. If Ramsey continues to get even on the bench for Liverpool in epl games he is good enough & ready for us. Same with Lowry, now he is fit if he continues getting minutes for Rangers get him on the squad. 

Taylor is a player i used to not rate at all but having watched him in than champs league I'm impressed, he has really improved & works his socks off. 

The one think i question about your post is who is Elliott? Do you mean Elliott Anderson? 

Taylor has gone up in my estimations aswell however unfortunetly for him id have him at 4th choice LB behind Robertson, Tierney and Hickey with no potential for getting better than any of those players.  Think this would be a good opportunity to give Doig a taste before bringing Taylor back in for competitive squads until Doig gets to a place where he is better than Taylor.

To answer your question, yes Elliot Anderson. Im not normally one for calling people up just to fend off interest from elsewhere but there are some circumstances where it makes sence. Anderson looks like he might be a top player in a position we arent overly blessed in. Getting him involved shows we are serious about him and lets him get involved with the lads about the camp. That alone might be enough for him to think, yeah this feels right and stick with us.

The combination of that and not having to drop anybody unfairly would tempt me to call him up. Personally I dont think Turnbull has done enough either for Scotland (limited chances) or for Celtic to remain involved at the moment. 

The thing with Anderson is he doesn't turn 21 until a year from now and under Fifa's latest rules he'd still be able to switch to England unless he got 4 competitive caps between now and then. 
Do we really want to be in a situation where we're bringing him off the bench in 4 of our qualifiers just for that reason? Feels a bit of a farce.

47 minutes ago, csinclair said:

The thing with Anderson is he doesn't turn 21 until a year from now and under Fifa's latest rules he'd still be able to switch to England unless he got 4 competitive caps between now and then. 
Do we really want to be in a situation where we're bringing him off the bench in 4 of our qualifiers just for that reason? Feels a bit of a farce.

I dont think we should be doing that. I think we should be showing the lad that he has a future with us, that its a good camp to be in with some top level players.

Make him feel part of the setup and its another reason for him to choose us.  He might end up choosing England but at least we would have tried.

Putting him in the U21s serves no real benefit imo

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

The likes of McCarthy and McGeady IIRC said that Ireland made them feel wanted and Scotland didn’t.

I think he should be in the full squad. He’s getting minutes for Newcastle and that’s a high bar nowadays. 

26 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Anderson, Conway, Ramsay, Lowry and Doig all in the U21 squad announced today

You would like to think that Gemmil and Clarke are in communication about the full squad so this is disapointing.

In particular I think there was an opportunity to get Ramsay, Anderson and Doig involved.

Given the U21 squad im now hoping that the full squad is made up of the usual players and not turned into a meaningless B team squad with guys like Gallagher, Maclean, Taylor and Ralston all starting.

10 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

You would like to think that Gemmil and Clarke are in communication about the full squad so this is disapointing.

In particular I think there was an opportunity to get Ramsay, Anderson and Doig involved.

Given the U21 squad im now hoping that the full squad is made up of the usual players and not turned into a meaningless B team squad with guys like Gallagher, Maclean, Taylor and Ralston all starting.

Problem is only really Doig is playing week in week out for their clubs at this moment in time. If Anderson and Ramsay were playing every week then I agree they should definitely be considered for the full squad.