Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, todd said:

Those Russian cuntz have really hosed us!  If it wasn't for having to drop the results against the bottom team in each group (because of their exclusion) we'd more or less have the best second placed Pot 2 spot in the bag already. 🤨

Them Russian cuntz didn't ban themselves. I blame them UEFA cuntz. Then again, them cuntz that went and got us humped in Ireland didn't help either. 😂

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Anyone suggesting changing formation has a very short memory. Keep the formation the same and probably bring in Porteous (can’t believe I’m saying that) to play alongside Hendry. Ralston RB & Hickey LB

I'm not sure why you are suggesting Ralston at right back and Hickey at left back. Taylor is a better left back than Ralston is a right back and Hickey is probably a better right back than he is a left back.

Apologies for three posts when one would have done but I really don't want Declan Gallagher starting. He falls into my middle of a back three is a pretty easy job theory and according to who scored he isn't even very good at that.

Only think he has in his favour is experience but if we stick to a back four Kingsley is a far better option.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apologies for three posts when one would have done but I really don't want Declan Gallagher starting. He falls into my middle of a back three is a pretty easy job theory and according to who scored he isn't even very good at that.

Only think he has in his favour is experience but if we stick to a back four Kingsley is a far better option.

The fact Porteous has been called up so many times, including ahead of Gallagher and Kingsley, would make you think Clarke will throw him in first.

It will be an incredible baptism of fire, and it may be the making of him if he gets through it unburnt. However, I think the risk of testing him in such an important game is just too high. Same goes for Kingsley. 

I thought Gallagher's time was up, but here we are. He could end up being the hero again.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Has it been decided how second place is going to be worked out or are we all assuming that the bottom team results will be dropped?

I haven't seen it written down anywhere yet so just assuming so far. But it is definitely how they do it in League D when deciding who is the highest ranked League D team. So I'm fairly confident that is how they will do it.

Gonna be really interesting to see what Stevie Clarke chooses to do here. 

He tends to be quite a conservative manager who is loyal to the players he trusts. But this time round he has been bold enough to not only change formation but take a risk with younger players.

Personally, I wouldnt be changing too much. I think we need to keep 4 at the back. The extra man in midfield served us well this week and I will be happy with whoever the manager thinks fits best in that set up. 

My gut thinks he will go with Gallagher just for his big game experience, but there is no doubt he doesnt have the pace of McKenna and that may count against him. 

Personally I dont like Porteous, as I think he is rash and prone to diving into silly tackles. Kingsley has more class, but I havent seen enough of him this season to know where his game is at.

Taylor is a shoe in for left back. Anyone saying he is a massive downgrade on Tierney obviously hasnt watched him much this season and wasnt paying attention on Saturday night. No doubt a fit Kieran Tierney is the much better player, but that guy wasnt available, even on Saturday.

Hickey should play left back if fit and Adams should be a shoe in up front.

McTominays place is one Im not overly concerned about. Id prefer him to be available, but I think McLean, Jack and Gilmour are all adequate replacements depending on whether Clarke wants to play on the front foot or be harder to break down.

Id go

Gordon

Hickey Hendry Gallagher Taylor

McGregor McLean

Fraser    McGinn  Christie

Adams

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know I carry on a bit about stats but Andrew Consadine is a far better player than Gallagher stats wise, would have preferred he ended up being the hero again.

I wouldn't be agaisnt playing Considine in general, but the 3 players we have to consider are Gallagher, Kingsley and Porteous. So Considine is kind of irrelevant at the moment.

I doubt he'll do this, but I'd have no problem playing Ralston at CB. In a back 3 he could easily do the McTominay role, but in an emergency, like this, I wouldn't discount him from playing in a 2.

As there is only one group affected, I would agree.  However they way this operates when the groups are not evenly distributed is they do the remove points from bottom team route.  They really aught to have announced how they would handle the league when they decided Russia were out.  

Gordon

Hickey Hendry Gallagher Taylor

Gilmour McLean McGregor

McGinn Christie

Adams

I wouldn’t be surprised if he went for that - maybe even Jack over Gilmour. Stick with the four at the back and then pack the central midfield to give the extra screening cover for our weakened defence. It goes to a flat 5 midfield when out of possession with McGinn and Christie wide. During quick transition to defence it allows Gilmour etc to push wide to pick up with McGinn and/or Christie to cover centrally.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I wouldn't be agaisnt playing Considine in general, but the 3 players we have to consider are Gallagher, Kingsley and Porteous. So Considine is kind of irrelevant at the moment.

I doubt he'll do this, but I'd have no problem playing Ralston at CB. In a back 3 he could easily do the McTominay role, but in an emergency, like this, I wouldn't discount him from playing in a 2.

If Ralston is played as a central defender we are in deep, deep shit.