Are Wales better than us? - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Take the match into context eh.

Match stats say it all about how much Croatia dominated the match in every department. Wales equalised with the last kick of the game in what was a classic smash and grab raid. Hardly, a case of Wales matching Croatia in every department (far from it).

I only saw the first half, but from that, Wales were to Croatia what Cyprus were to us.  I was amazed when I seen they'd got a point.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Match stats say it all about how much Croatia dominated the match in every department. Wales equalised with the last kick of the game in what was a classic smash and grab raid. Hardly, a case of Wales matching Croatia in every department (far from it).

I believe Craig Brown's Scotland teams were roughly the same tactically and they qualified for two finals ......

Would Scotland have got a similar result away in Croatia yesterday ?

24 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I believe Craig Brown's Scotland teams were roughly the same tactically and they qualified for two finals ......

With the huge riding of luck then yes they would have. And we have, ourselves, got away draws to noted opponents too with us having far more of the game. I am thinking of Ukraine, Netherlands and Serbia.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's improving. O.k they're not in Croatia's class but winning in Austria 18 months back was probably the best competitive away win for a decade and pretty much sealed second in the World cup group.

Then got the point away to Ukraine to seal top spot in the nations league group which could yet prove crucial with insurance of play off spot.

For what's required in this group certainly a win in Cyprus and then draws in Tiblisi and Oslo. Would have a very good chance of 2nd just losing the one away game.

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly this.  I've said it before but I honestly think Wales are the luckiest of all the home nations!  And please don't anyone spin that 'you make your own luck' bs

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly. Odd individual results happen all the time; take Kazakhstan's 3-2 win over Denmark today (and, stats wise, that was a much more even game than Croatia-Wales).

Right now, I think Wales are in a battle for Turkey for second in that group; that point they took from Croatia could be vital to them qualifying. I'd still favour Turkey to come second ahead of Wales though.

10 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Exactly. Odd individual results happen all the time; take Kazakhstan's 3-2 win over Denmark today (and, stats wise, that was a much more even game than Croatia-Wales).

Right now, I think Wales are in a battle for Turkey for second in that group; that point they took from Croatia could be vital to them qualifying. I'd still favour Turkey to come second ahead of Wales though.

Indeed. Also look through recent campaigns when Wales have been struggling against lesser teams and have had Bale to call from the bench to rescue them? No lifeguard there for them now.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:30 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Better than saying a team has been lucky for about 6 years 😂

When did I say that? I said I thought they were the luckiest british team, at no point did I say ALL they've achieved was down to luck, but hey, you just make up what ever you want for your wales love-in

Edited by todd

On 3/29/2023 at 8:38 AM, todd said:

When did I say that? I said I thought they were the luckiest british team, at no point did I say ALL they've achieved was down to luck, but hey, you just make up what ever you want for your wales love-in

That’s the timeframe they’ve had their relative success. 

• 2 months later...

Jeezo, I didn't see that result coming. I know Wales don't have bawbag Bale anymore but they've still a good team. Perhaps Armenia are a bit better than they showed against us (I see they're now being coached by Ukraine's former manager).

Northern Ireland were extremely unlucky not to get a point in Copenhagen, which would have been an excellent result for them. Felt sorry for the wee 16-year-old making his international debut who thought he'd levelled it in injury time, only for VAR to decide someone was a bawhair offside (I'm still not sure who it was supposed to be!).

27 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Jeezo, I didn't see that result coming. I know Wales don't have bawbag Bale anymore but they've still a good team. Perhaps Armenia are a bit better than they showed against us (I see they're now being coached by Ukraine's former manager).

Northern Ireland were extremely unlucky not to get a point in Copenhagen, which would have been an excellent result for them. Felt sorry for the wee 16-year-old making his international debut who thought he'd levelled it in injury time, only for VAR to decide someone was a bawhair offside (I'm still not sure who it was supposed to be!).

Or perhaps we are better than some of our own fans give us credit for.