Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange to see so many anti-friendly posts considering how rare they are these days. I'm not sure the drop-off will be as they have been before, we're now seeing more competition for places across most of the pitch - which feels rare for a lot us - so there will be plenty of players looking to cement their places. 

And I'd much rather try new players / tactics etc in a friendly than a competitive game too. 

Miniscule in the grand scheme of things so will all just need to wait and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Correct. Absolute waste of everybody's time. Thought they were a thing of the past. Certainly hoped we had seen the last of them. 

Why do you care so much? You are actually showing a complete lack of awareness as well.

UEFA can effectively make teams play friendlies on free international dates due to TV rights. 

We definitely won’t be playing competitive games this month so getting the squad together is a good idea anyway. If we don’t do that then Clarke will have spent no time with his squad for over 6 months prior to our games in June. A friendly or 2 this month will be a lot more valuable to Clarke (even if they are boring to watch) than a couple of training matches. 

37 minutes ago, McDange said:

Strange to see so many anti-friendly posts considering how rare they are these days. I'm not sure the drop-off will be as they have been before, we're now seeing more competition for places across most of the pitch - which feels rare for a lot us - so there will be plenty of players looking to cement their places. 

And I'd much rather try new players / tactics etc in a friendly than a competitive game too. 

Miniscule in the grand scheme of things so will all just need to wait and see what happens. 

Yeah it’s bizarre. Surely it makes sense to have friendlies than no matches at all? 

If you don’t like friendlies don’t go to them or watch them on telly. Seems pretty simple to me. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

People moaning about potentially losing money, I’d rather lose a wee bit of money rather than my life, family, house, job, country etc

Theres some right shocking comments on here, unbelievable takes. 

Spot on. 

Anyone booking flights or hotels for football matches at the moment is already doing so with the knowledge that the game might get cancelled or at least it might be played with no fans due to Covid. 

If they are that concerned about losing their money they should be booking things that can be cancelled (not always possible with flights in fairness). 

Booking things when you are going to an event is always a risk but even more so these days. 

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

And how close did that cunt get us to qualifying?

Every other nation in the world plays friendly games. The good thing about football is, people are free to go to them, or free to do something else, it’s a great system. 

Unfortunately that statement also applies to a lot of the players as well. 😂

Just now, Orraloon said:

Unfortunately that statement also applies to a lot of the players as well. 😂

😂😂😂

Under normal circumstances aye but surely anyone that wants to be involved in playoffs and potentially the World Cup will turn up later this month?

Apart from Ryan Fraser obviously. He’ll be writing up a shortlist of excuses as I type this. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why do you care so much? You are actually showing a complete lack of awareness as well.

UEFA can effectively make teams play friendlies on free international dates due to TV rights. 

We definitely won’t be playing competitive games this month so getting the squad together is a good idea anyway. If we don’t do that then Clarke will have spent no time with his squad for over 6 months prior to our games in June. A friendly or 2 this month will be a lot more valuable to Clarke (even if they are boring to watch) than a couple of training matches. 

Not sure I’d argue with the saint. I’d probably go as far as saying he likely isn’t a saint and may even be a very dangerous man. 

59 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

😂😂😂

Under normal circumstances aye but surely anyone that wants to be involved in playoffs and potentially the World Cup will turn up later this month?

Apart from Ryan Fraser obviously. He’ll be writing up a shortlist of excuses as I type this. 

Agreed. There are plenty of incentives to turn up to these friendlies:

John McGinn is only 2 or 3 goals away from being in the top 10 of all time.

The likes of Hanley, McGregor, Forrest and some others, probably have an eye on the hall of fame number of caps - 50.

Dykes and Adams know they are probably competing against each other for the one striker slot, so a couple of goals in friendlies could influence Clarke. 

Christie, Fraser and Armstrong are potentially competing for 1 spot as well. 

Centre mid is a constant debate on here. If Jack and McTominay impressed in these friendlies, it could throw a spanner in the works.

Every player that doesn't turn up will know it could cost them a spot in the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Poland at hampden. Not good. 

Don’t worry mate, the world won’t end because we are playing a friendly against Poland at Hampden.

If it is actually confirmed (I haven’t seen this being officially announced yet) then you’ll just need to get over it. 

4 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Not sure I’d argue with the saint. I’d probably go as far as saying he likely isn’t a saint and may even be a very dangerous man. 

I’m no feart of someone that can’t use paragraphs. 

4 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Nah, he's just a greetin faced fanny 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Poland at hampden. Not good. 

I know you don't like friendlies but if we must have one Poland is a great test. 

They are the minimum  level we should be aiming for.

We got 3 points more than them in qualifying against tougher opposition let's prove we are better than them.

I hate friendlies too but if needs must Poland is perfect.