Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

3 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

If I knew Scotland would play in Vienna (instead of Cardiff) if we beat Ukraine, I would happily book the flights.

TA away trip in Vienna or a city break in Vienna... I could live with both.

Yeah that is the only way it could be an advantage,  but an advantage nonetheless. Wouldn’t mind Vienna myself as a city break.

Whilst , on the other hand,  ……….

3 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Don't worry, I'll put you up if it's in Wales 😂

Canny wait for that either ……

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

it's not difficult to get to Wales. It's just doon the road.

You could even drive to Vienna if you had to. Mind you, by June time Russia might have invaded Austria as well. They aren't in NATO either.

I know, we had planned on driving to Wales regardless. I am no driving to Vienna the Russians might mistake me for Maria Von Trapp belting out Doh a Deer in my escape vehicle. 
I dont have a problem at all with the uncertainty of where we are playing, I am more bothered that we may be disadvantaged by potentially playing 2 major back to back games whereas Wales/Austria may field a weakened side for their nations league game to avoid injury . 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm assuming that is a general invite to the whole of the TAMB. 

Perty at Bobsters hoose. 🍺🥃

No problem - you can all watch it on my telly because I don't actually live in Wales 😅 It's a mad dwarf chum of Tidy's that thinks I do.

Change the order of Fixtures in our Nations League Group

4/6 Scotland v Ukraine World Cup

4/6 Ireland v Armenia N L

7/6 Scotland v Armenia N L

7/6 Ukraine v Ireland N L

11/6 Ireland v Scotland NL

11/6 Ukraine v Armenia NL

13/6 Postpone  Netherlands v Wales NL if required

13/6 Postpone Denmark v Austria NL if required

14/6 Play  Wales or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine World Cup

That still gets 5 / 8 of our Nations League Matches played

Either Wales or Austria Nations League group would be effected and only one match behind schedule

Ukraine can play two "home" NL matches in England and be based in UK for a week

Armenia can base themselves in UK / Ireland for a week

1 hour ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Change the order of Fixtures in our Nations League Group

4/6 Scotland v Ukraine World Cup

4/6 Ireland v Armenia N L

7/6 Scotland v Armenia N L

7/6 Ukraine v Ireland N L

11/6 Ireland v Scotland NL

11/6 Ukraine v Armenia NL

13/6 Postpone  Netherlands v Wales NL if required

13/6 Postpone Denmark v Austria NL if required

14/6 Play  Wales or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine World Cup

That still gets 5 / 8 of our Nations League Matches played

Either Wales or Austria Nations League group would be effected and only one match behind schedule

Ukraine can play two "home" NL matches in England and be based in UK for a week

Armenia can base themselves in UK / Ireland for a week

And everyone who has made travel arrangements based on the published fixture list?

Surely the aim of the game is to play games with minimum disruption to existing fixtures?

This is a total rewrite.

J

I just wish the SFA would come out and say if the dates in a fortnight are going to be used for friendlies or not. Otherwise I will cancel my hotel and trains and hopefully get some money back.

Instead the SFA send us emails about women's games and shirt releases and no mention of what is going on.

Can’t be bothered with a friendly at all. That’s just a cash grab from our association.

We are on a nice run and I don’t fancy drawing 1-1 with Lichtenstein in a nothing game to halt the momentum.

Let the players meet up - some light training and then let them go out and get steaming together should they so wish. They deserve it.

17 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Armenia have games against Montenegro and Norway on the 24th and 29th March 

A pretty straightforward solution to this would be for Scotland to Play Armenia on the 24th for the Nations League and Poland, who now have a free date, can play Montenegro (assuming Russia's ban is upheld).

This would open space up in June for the WC playoffs to be played. Appreciate this would only take care of Scotland's situation and you'd still have Wales and Austria potentially having issues with fitting in a final match.

By June it's quite likely that Ukraine will have largely ceased to exist as a country (even more so than us). What will happen then? Play a team representing The Ukrainian Nation in Exile?

In any case there are greater problems facing Ukraine and Europe (including us), not least the nightmarish refugee situation. 

6 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

By June it's quite likely that Ukraine will have largely ceased to exist as a country (even more so than us). What will happen then? Play a team representing The Ukrainian Nation in Exile?

In any case there are greater problems facing Ukraine and Europe (including us), not least the nightmarish refugee situation. 

We are building up quite the portfolio. Playing the Soviet Union after it fell apart (1992), Yugoslavia as it headed towards oblivion (1989), playing Ukraine after it got occupied (2022). Could be that no one's too worried about drawing us in future from a football point of view, but they might fear it's a jinx, and their whole political infrastructure's about to topple. 

5 minutes ago, MikeyHead said:

We are building up quite the portfolio. Playing the Soviet Union after it fell apart (1992), Yugoslavia as it headed towards oblivion (1989), playing Ukraine after it got occupied (2022). Could be that no one's too worried about drawing us in future from a football point of view, but they might fear it's a jinx, and their whole political infrastructure's about to topple. 

We also played Czechoslovakia in 1937, about 4 months before Hitler marched his troops into Sudetenland. I reckon Austria will throw their game against Wales, just to avoid the possibility of playing us in the final.

If the 2 Ukraine home games were to be combined would the play off game continue to extra time if the league game ended a draw? sounds interesting, can't see how they are going to be able to honour it but we'll just have to wait and see!

38 minutes ago, MikeyHead said:

Pity we didn't arrange a fixture against the GB olympic team a few years ago then...😁

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

And everyone who has made travel arrangements based on the published fixture list?

Surely the aim of the game is to play games with minimum disruption to existing fixtures?

This is a total rewrite.

J

I agree, I'd like to think they'd play to Ukraine's requirements here to lessen that impact, combining the 2 games would make a lot of sense and keeping our away games where they are... 

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That makes sense. I can't see the need to postpone the Wales v Austria tie as well.

It makes sense from a disruption perspective but I think it also gives Wales or Austria an advantage , as well as their home advantage. 

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That makes sense. I can't see the need to postpone the Wales v Austria tie as well.

I agree, I'd heard the same, why would they if they don't need to?