Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 212 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ross Stewart on the bench for Sunderland tonight. 

A few rumours flying about were he might be playing by end of January.

Eh?

He’s played in their last 3 games (started in the one before last night) and has scored in each of those games. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Shankland has 16 but a fair few penalties yes, his link up play and all round game is very good though. 

Dykes has 6 with 2 penalties.

McBurnie is miles off international quality. 

Hertz have had 9 penalties this season, not sure how many Shankland has taken/scored 

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

Hertz have had 9 penalties this season, not sure how many Shankland has taken/scored 

I think he has taken and scored 7 out of 7? I guess Hearts got the other two when he wasn't on the pitch?

Some folk seem to be trying to use his penalty goals as a reason not to include him. A goal is a goal, penalty or not. A 100% penalty record is a stat which shouldn't be ignored, especially these days when is is so easy to get penalties awarded. 

I would be happy to have Shankland in the next squad. Adams and Dykes as still ahead of him but I would happy to see him on the bench. 

As for McBurnie, holy fuk? Shankland's skill levels are far superior to McBurnie's. 

It's starting to get deeply concerning at how much Celtic are stockpiling senior players. They must have a squad of about 40 now. With only 4 Scots realistically getting any significant game time. (for now)

Doak/Hepburn/Morrison have surely started a trend of getting out of Celtic as fast as humanly possible. Barring a catastrophe, no youth player is ever getting anything other than token minutes off the bench occasionally. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

It's starting to get deeply concerning at how much Celtic are stockpiling senior players. They must have a squad of about 40 now. With only 4 Scots realistically getting any significant game time. (for now)

Doak/Hepburn/Morrison have surely started a trend of getting out of Celtic as fast as humanly possible. Barring a catastrophe, no youth player is ever getting anything other than token minutes off the bench occasionally. I hope I'm wrong.

All clubs should be limited to something like 22 senior players used in a season.  Would be such a benefit for all except the handful of clubs who spend money just because they can. 

24 minutes ago, adamntg said:

All clubs should be limited to something like 22 senior players used in a season.  Would be such a benefit for all except the handful of clubs who spend money just because they can. 

Agreed. Something similar to what you're allowed at a World Cup would make sense. Say, a 26 man squad, and no more than 3 loans at any one time. Injuries/suspensions/lack of form, are part and parcel of the game, and is part of what makes football interesting. You shouldn't be able to just purchase your way out of trouble.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Agreed. Something similar to what you're allowed at a World Cup would make sense. Say, a 26 man squad, and no more than 3 loans at any one time. Injuries/suspensions/lack of form, are part and parcel of the game, and is part of what makes football interesting. You shouldn't be able to just purchase your way out of trouble.

I’m not bothered about loans.  But the game would be much more interesting if, for example, Celtic had to choose Joe Hart plus EITHER Siegrist or Bain.  Would mean another team in the SPFL might get themselves a decent goalkeeper. 

It’d move good players down through the other clubs.  It’d suppress excessive wages, improve smaller clubs, make a more competitive league and provide more opportunities for young players.  It’s an absolute no-brainer. 

11 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Whats concerning is the amount of Scottish players playing for any team in the top league. No stats or data to back my thoughts up but it feels less and less Scottish players are playing regular first team football for the scottish top league teams 

You look at the goalie situation there is only a handful of scottish goalies who are 1st or 2nd choice at the 12 teams. 

If this continues which you assume it will could have bad consequences for us for the years to come 

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

I’m not bothered about loans.  But the game would be much more interesting if, for example, Celtic had to choose Joe Hart plus EITHER Siegrist or Bain.  Would mean another team in the SPFL might get themselves a decent goalkeeper. 

It’d move good players down through the other clubs.  It’d suppress excessive wages, improve smaller clubs, make a more competitive league and provide more opportunities for young players.  It’s an absolute no-brainer. 

A competitive league is the last thing rangers & celtic want, that’s one of the reasons they both asset strip the other spl teams of their best players.

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Brentford, Palace, Stoke and rangers showing an interest according to Google. Quite common for players expected to move to be benched. 

Think you missed my point mate.

Your previous post (which I may have misinterpreted) made it sound like you thought him being on the bench the other night was him just coming back from injury. You said something about reports suggesting he would be playing by the end of January. I was pointing out that he had already played in the two games prior to the other night. 

3 hours ago, borojock said:

Whats concerning is the amount of Scottish players playing for any team in the top league. No stats or data to back my thoughts up but it feels less and less Scottish players are playing regular first team football for the scottish top league teams 

You look at the goalie situation there is only a handful of scottish goalies who are 1st or 2nd choice at the 12 teams. 

If this continues which you assume it will could have bad consequences for us for the years to come 

You're spot on. It's getting worse than it was in the early 2000s. 

The positive is that our youths seem to be getting better, but they are being pinched before our league can benefit. The national team will improve, but the SPFL won't. 

I fear our league will become similar to the Irish or Welsh leagues, with only Celtic and Rangers having occasional waves of moderate success in Europe whilst being riddled with foreigners.... What am I saying. We are basically already there.

Update on Ollie Burke from yesterday's National. Werder Bremen's technical director echoing what a lot of us have said.

SCOTLAND international Oliver Burke has been warned he's not performing to his full potential in the Bundesliga by Werder Bremen's own technical director.

The former Celtic loan forward completed a free transfer to Werder Bremen in the summer, after previously costing £28 million in combined fees when RB Leipzig and West Brown signed him.

He initially made an encouraging start by scoring in consecutive games against Stuttgart and at Borussia Dortmund in the German league.

But since then, the 25-year-old has failed to score and has been a sub for 13 of the 14 league appearances he's made for Werder.

And Werder Bremen technical director Clemens Fritz has demanded more from the 13-times capped forward, who won his last cap for his country two years ago.

Fritz said: "With Oliver, it's a case that with all the attributes he has, he has more in the tank than he is showing. And I have told him that too.

"He needs to show his abilities better and more frequently otherwise he will find it hard to beat off the competition for a starting slot."

16 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Update on Ollie Burke from yesterday's National. Werder Bremen's technical director echoing what a lot of us have said.

SCOTLAND international Oliver Burke has been warned he's not performing to his full potential in the Bundesliga by Werder Bremen's own technical director.

The former Celtic loan forward completed a free transfer to Werder Bremen in the summer, after previously costing £28 million in combined fees when RB Leipzig and West Brown signed him.

He initially made an encouraging start by scoring in consecutive games against Stuttgart and at Borussia Dortmund in the German league.

But since then, the 25-year-old has failed to score and has been a sub for 13 of the 14 league appearances he's made for Werder.

And Werder Bremen technical director Clemens Fritz has demanded more from the 13-times capped forward, who won his last cap for his country two years ago.

Fritz said: "With Oliver, it's a case that with all the attributes he has, he has more in the tank than he is showing. And I have told him that too.

"He needs to show his abilities better and more frequently otherwise he will find it hard to beat off the competition for a starting slot."

Sums him up unfortunately. Great pace and a certain amount of ability, but the end product is mostly frustratingly dissapointing. Hope at 25 he still has a chance to turn things around but have my doubts. 

4 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

A competitive league is the last thing rangers & celtic want, that’s one of the reasons they both asset strip the other spl teams of their best players.

Correct.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

The positive is that our youths seem to be getting better, but they are being pinched before our league can benefit. The national team will improve, but the SPFL won't. 

I fear our league will become similar to the Irish or Welsh leagues, with only Celtic and Rangers having occasional waves of moderate success in Europe whilst being riddled with foreigners.... What am I saying. We are basically already there.

At least in the late 90s/early 00s Celtic and Rangers were still able to sign players from the EPL - and I mean regulars, not academy cast-offs.

I think youngsters with potential are doing the right thing in getting the hell away from Scotland at the first opportunity. Like you say, the plus side of that is it helps the national team but the negative is it devalues the domestic league. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Burke has this habit of signing for a new club, starting brilliantly, and then fading off into nothing before eventually moving on. 

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think youngsters with potential are doing the right thing in getting the hell away from Scotland at the first opportunity. Like you say, the plus side of that is it helps the national team but the negative is it devalues the domestic league. 

As a Rangers fan, the continued Old Firm dominance of the league isn't healthy. How can you be competitive in Europe when you have so little competition domestically? Neither of the Glasgow giants have helped bring about a more competitive league with the result that both clubs and many of their fans see themselves as big fish when in reality they're just swimming in a shrinking small pool, reality is they're increasingly tiddlers in the wider football sea.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Tierney could be one of the last examples of a prodigy breaking through in Scotland, where his class was blindingly obvious, and actually stayed a few years before leaving. 

Since then, Patterson, Gilmour, Hickey, Ramsey, Doak etc were all gone in their teens. I'm saying this like it's a negative. It's not. They all made the correct choice. It just sucks for the identity and quality of the SPFL.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Tierney could be one of the last examples of a prodigy breaking through in Scotland, where his class was blindingly obvious, and actually stayed a few years before leaving. 

Since then, Patterson, Gilmour, Hickey, Ramsey, Doak etc were all gone in their teens. I'm saying this like it's a negative. It's not. They all made the correct choice. It just sucks for the identity and quality of the SPFL.

Although, tbf, we all probably thought before Tierney showed up we'd had the last prodigy breaking through in Scotland.

With players like Hickey or Ramsay, if they were perceived positively by a club from the top five leagues there'd be no chance of a club outside the Old Firm being able to keep hold of them for any prolonged period, not just due to the player wanting to play at a higher level, but financially: £1.5m (+ any add ons) for Hickey is completely different for Hearts as it would be for Rangers or Celtic; Rangers could get £11m for Patterson and Celtic could keep hold of Tierney for a significant period.

The reality of modern football means if we want the best possible national team, we want as many players as possible playing in the top leagues (especially from an early age). I'd argue players like Barry Ferguson, Shaun Maloney, Scott Brown or Callum McGregor could've developed into better players had they not stayed in Scotland for as long as they did (or for their entire career). The same is true for any country that isn't one of the big four or five - the Dutch, Belgians, Portugese, Brazilians and Argentines all have the same issue (as do the French to a certain degree).

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gilmour had by far his best 30 mins for Brighton in the 2nd half. Demanding the ball and making things happen. 1st half he looked like he was trying to do everything too safe.

I think that caution is probably understandable when you're not playing regularly and don't want to make mistakes. Lot of talk about bids for Mac Allister after his world cup performances, so maybe we'll see a bit more of Gilmour hopefully.