Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 207 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackie MacNamara: "I've never seen anything like Ben (Doak)"

Wasn't Jackie manager at Dundee Utd when Gauld broke through? If he believes he is more extraordinary than Gauld at the same age, then we are onto a winner. Gauld hasn't lived up to the hype, unfortunately, but Doak might.

I think having Robertson and Ramsay at Liverpool will help him a lot. I don't think it was wrong of Gauld to go to Portugal, but it must have been a tough transition to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Wasn't Jackie manager at Dundee Utd when Gauld broke through? If he believes he is more extraordinary than Gauld at the same age, then we are onto a winner. Gauld hasn't lived up to the hype, unfortunately, but Doak might.

I think having Robertson and Ramsay at Liverpool will help him a lot. I don't think it was wrong of Gauld to go to Portugal, but it must have been a tough transition to begin with. 

When he was united manager he said Gauld would become a British great, so I wouldn't listen to anything he says.

Edited by bigfingers

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I don’t think it was wrong to go Portugal, but Canada is another thing. Money talks I guess 

5 hours ago, bigfingers said:

When he was united manager he said Gauld would become a British great, so I wouldn't listen to anything he says.

Well he was definitely not the only one that was guilty of hyperbole at that time. A bit odd to refer to him as a British Great, though. He has also just compared him to Wayne Rooney. Maybe comparing him to a Scot would have made more sense... Though I can't really think of any good recent-ish comparisons. Shaun Maloney maybe? 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:25 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Stewarts goal yesterday. Pretty clear hes good enough for championship level. Only a matter of time before hes in the epl. 

Imagine sharing an 11 minute video and no telling us the goal was at 9 minutes or so. Good finish though

On 12/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

Brown's playing right wing back under new manager so might fall down the pecking order.

good hes dung

11 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Gauld has made a good career for himself and Clarke is a bit daft for overlooking him now, hes playing great in a league that is no worse than our own. He was also a standout in portugal playing in relegation fodder teams

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Imagine sharing an 11 minute video and no telling us the goal was at 9 minutes or so. Good finish though

good hes dung

Gauld has made a good career for himself and Clarke is a bit daft for overlooking him now, hes playing great in a league that is no worse than our own. He was also a standout in portugal playing in relegation fodder teams

Totally agree on Gauld 

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

good hes dung

Gee wizz, I aint your babysitter, scroll through until you find the goal and just be thankful i bother to post videos of our players scoring. 

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

good hes dung

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be a dig at Gauld. He was a victim of his own early success. Because he was hyped up to be the Scottish Messi, he'll appear to have underachieved in some people's eyes. But it's rare for any Scot to go abroad and thrive. He should have been in multiple squads by now. I worry his time has come and gone, especially with this new batch of young attacking talent emerging.

Doak seems inevitable at this point, but throw Hepburn and Lowry into the mix, who both have tons of potential as well. 

44 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be a dig at Gauld. He was a victim of his own early success. Because he was hyped up to be the Scottish Messi, he'll appear to have underachieved in some people's eyes. But it's rare for any Scot to go abroad and thrive. He should have been in multiple squads by now. I worry his time has come and gone, especially with this new batch of young attacking talent emerging.

Doak seems inevitable at this point, but throw Hepburn and Lowry into the mix, who both have tons of potential as well. 

The United side with Gauld, Souttar, Armstrong, Robertson and GMS played some of the most enjoyable football I can remember watching - the way it all ended summed up why nobody outside the OF have any chance of ever winning the league again in the current format.  

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The United side with Gauld, Souttar, Armstrong, Robertson and GMS played some of the most enjoyable football I can remember watching - the way it all ended summed up why nobody outside the OF have any chance of ever winning the league again in the current format.  

Yup. Very frustrating. It reminds me of that great Hibs team that contained Brown, Thomson, Caldwell etc. Or the Hearts team that split the OF with Hartley and Pressley. 

Completely dismantled before they have a chance to do anything of note. Without some rich benefactor taking over one of them and using them as a play thing, I don't think there is any way that will change.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Adams goals. Hes on 8 for the season already. Should be able to get double figures easily this season which would be a first for him in the top flight.

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Adams goals. Hes on 8 for the season already. Should be able to get double figures easily this season which would be a first for him in the top flight.

4 of them are against Cambridge and Lincoln only 4 in EPL.

Still think he is our fist choice mind you. 

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

4 of them are against Cambridge and Lincoln only 4 in EPL.

Still think he is our fist choice mind you. 

His goals last night saved his team from embarrassment against a league 1 side. His tally in the epl in the last 2 seasons has been 7 and 9 so it looks like he should match those numbers this season.

I would say matching his epl goal tally and contributing more goals in cup games is a positive improvement? 

On 12/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, bigfingers said:

He was also earning a percentage of his future transfer fee which might go some way to explaining why he said it

On 12/20/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tartan blood said:

It's a shame Lowry can't even get a game off the bench for an average Rangers side at the moment. 😕

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's a shame Lowry can't even get a game off the bench for an average Rangers side at the moment. 😕

Bizarre how little game time he’s had when he’s one of their most talented attacking players. They aren’t interested in playing Scottish youth though except in an injury crisis 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I was there last night. Adams should had had four. What on Earth he was doing with that last chance...

20 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

The lad Doak is very exciting but im bit wary of this type of hype, with many other next big things never making it. 

We've been burned many times before, so it's easy to be a bit more cynical. But I think we are guilty of ignoring our successes, too.

Roberton and Tierney both had a hell of a lot of hype when they were youngsters. Both have excelled, and then some.

Patterson and Hickey are premier league regulars already.

Even though Gilmour has had some ups and downs, he's still racked up a lot of appearances in the premier league and internationally by 21. Plenty more to come from him.

McTominay goes from villain to hero every week, but is still an undeniable success at a large club. 

Yes, Doak might end up having the career of Ross Wallace. Or he may end up surpassing Ryan Fraser. It's just so hard to tell.

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

He might have to do a Patterson and leave before he's even had a fair crack of the whip.