Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 153 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Souttar very poor today.  Big season for him… may struggle to hold down a place.

He may be one of those players who are better than average but not quite capable of playing at the very highest level.  I hope I'm wrong. Also my understanding is that he's been played on the left side of the central defensive pair which is not his most natural position.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Thanks, hadn’t realised

Even if he wasn't injured we are dreaming if we expect to see him on the bench in a EPL game this side of Christmas. Let the kid settle, play EPL2 level games & hopefully impress enough to make his debut in one of the cup competitions. 

8 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Even if he wasn't injured we are dreaming if we expect to see him on the bench in a EPL game this side of Christmas. Let the kid settle, play EPL2 level games & hopefully impress enough to make his debut in one of the cup competitions. 

why not? I’m sure we expect hickey to be at least on the bench.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

why not? I’m sure we expect hickey to be at least on the bench.

Apart from the obvious fact there's a huge gap in squad quality between Liverpool & Brentfords squads Hickey is 2 years older, a full international & has played nearly 50 games in Serie 1, Ramsey has just had a good breakthrough season in the spl so the 2 aren't comparable at all at this stage.

Liam Kelly the clear MoM for a 10 man Motherwell today according to Who Scored. A few have mentioned him as the possible future for our keeper position so fingers crossed. Dare say he was shocking in Motherwell's European games

Marshall and Gordon both got decent ratings too, so may not quite as bad as we thought in that position.

Who scored also gave Stewart an above average rating for a championship striker which is pretty good considering he didn't score or win any aerial duels.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Kelly the clear MoM for a 10 man Motherwell today according to Who Scored. A few have mentioned him as the possible future for our keeper position so fingers crossed. Dare say he was shocking in Motherwell's European games

Marshall and Gordon both got decent ratings too, so may not quite as bad as we thought in that position.

Who scored also gave Stewart an above average rating for a championship striker which is pretty good considering he didn't score or win any aerial duels.

Marshall's retired.

Elliot Anderson was the stand out player for Newcastle against Atalanta, Eddie Howe said he is making it difficult to send him on loan.

Milk cup, big tournament for youngsters, U19 tournament was won by Man Utd against Rangers, Man utds Jack Kingdon impressed at CB, Louis Jackson another Scot also, Malachi Sharpe was injured for the tournament but has been promoted. 

38 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Elliot Anderson was the stand out player for Newcastle against Atalanta, Eddie Howe said he is making it difficult to send him on loan.

Milk cup, big tournament for youngsters, U19 tournament was won by Man Utd against Rangers, Man utds Jack Kingdon impressed at CB, Louis Jackson another Scot also, Malachi Sharpe was injured for the tournament but has been promoted. 

Promising but most of those are eligible for England, so if they turn out to be any good...

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

And not an international standard goalkeeper by any stretch anymore 

Not being of international standard is unfortunately no longer a bar to being called up to our squad as a goalkeeper. 

That said, Liam Kelly was ridiculously good for Motherwell yesterday, going by the highlights. Hopefully he'll carry on improving.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:53 AM, scotlad said:

Not being of international standard is unfortunately no longer a bar to being called up to our squad as a goalkeeper. 

That said, Liam Kelly was ridiculously good for Motherwell yesterday, going by the highlights. Hopefully he'll carry on improving.

We're kidding ourselves if we think McLoughlin is international standard.

1 hour ago, Arbroath1320 said:

I don't think he is either, but you can only go with what you've got.

Kelly is the better bet, long term, even if only by virtue of the fact he's a good bit younger.

2 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

The phrase "international standard" is the most ridiculous phrase in football. If someone is the best player available in their position then they'll play for the national team. 

4 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Ryan Jack looked done. Even if he is injury free he cant be picked performing like he did last night.

I fear that injury nightmare of the last year has done for him.

Clarke is going to have to make some ruthless decision regarding the midfielders for the squad.

We have too many of them !

Callum McGregor, John McGinn, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, David Turnbull, Kenny McLean, Stuart Armstrong, Lewis Ferguson and Allan Campbell have all played in midfield for us this year.

And that's before considering Eliot Anderson, Connor Barron, Lewis Fiorini and Alex Lowry who might be worthy of selection a year from now.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I fear that injury nightmare of the last year has done for him.

Clarke is going to have to make some ruthless decision regarding the midfielders for the squad.

We have too many of them !

Callum McGregor, John McGinn, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, David Turnbull, Kenny McLean, Stuart Armstrong, Lewis Ferguson and Allan Campbell have all played in midfield for us this year.

And that's before considering Eliot Anderson, Connor Barron, Lewis Fiorini and Alex Lowry who might be worthy of selection a year from now.

Only 5 of that first list are guys who should be starting games. Guys like ferguson, campbell and mclean are currently just squad filler and mclean might not be even get in squads in the future.

The guys in that second list are no where near our squad. Lets wait until they actually get called up before we worry about who they should replace.

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The guys in that second list are no where near our squad. Lets wait until they actually get called up before we worry about who they should replace.

Read the post again. I did not say they should be considered for immediate selection.

What I said was they might be worthy of selection a year from now.