Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 148 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well cairney has already been in a scotland shirt. I doubt he will ever get picked again but hes still a scottish player playing in the epl who could be called up if needed.

There is a small chance dembele could get called up in the future, if he impresses with Bournemouth in the epl then he could easily be in contention for a call up.

Sorry, that's what I meant about Cairney, being picked again. Dembele will be playing for Ivory Coast with his brother in next couple of years, I reckon

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Sorry, that's what I meant about Cairney, being picked again. Dembele will be playing for Ivory Coast with his brother in next couple of years, I reckon

I thought they'd both "declared" for Ivory Coast. 🤔

16 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Hopefully in the future we have countless epl players who are surplus to requirements like cairney but he still counts as a eligible player playing epl. 

Not sure either dembeles will be good enough for ivory coast. They are probably similar level to us in terms of squad strength, maybe even slightly stronger. 

On 5/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Now that the season has ended its looking like we have 4 guys heading up to the epl who are likely to play regulary. Mckenna, cairney, dembele and christie. We have lost 2 the other way, hanley and mclean, gilmour will be off somewhere else, most likely another epl club imo.

Overall thats quite promising. We should have 13/14 guys who will be playing regulary in the epl next season. 

Mckenna isn't there yet. He's got a very tough game to overcome first.

Dembele is likely to play for ivory Coast.

Cairney won't get a look in with our midfield unless we have a horrendous injury situation, unlikely since we are playing in some important games nowadays and actually have a chance of qualifying.

Christie will be called up even if he were in the championship 

On 5/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, vanderark14 said:

Mckenna isn't there yet. He's got a very tough game to overcome first.

Dembele is likely to play for ivory Coast.

Cairney won't get a look in with our midfield unless we have a horrendous injury situation, unlikely since we are playing in some important games nowadays and actually have a chance of qualifying.

Christie will be called up even if he were in the championship 

Yeh fair enough mckenna might not make it but i am confused by your points on the other three. My post was about eligible scots playing top flight in england. 

Dembele has never represented ivory coast at any level. Hes been in scotland since hes 8 and if we decide to call him up theres a decent chance he would say yes imo. Ivory coast have quite a strong squad. Probably stronger than us especially in dembeles position so hes more likely to get a chance with us  than them. Either way hes still technically a scot playing in the epl next season.

Cairneys still an eligible player playing epl next season, just because hes surplus to requirements doesnt change the fact that its good to see another scot playing top flight in england. Hopefully in the future our strength in depth will mean we have loads of guys like cairney who cant get in our squad despite playing in a top league.

Christie might already be a regular regardless of what league hes in but its still nice to see him get into the epl. I would say it was a slight step down for him to go to the championship at this stage of his career so him moving up to the epl and testing himself against elite players is surely a positive. 

Overall i was just looking at the positive that we should potentially have more eligible scots playing english top flight than the previous season which is good to see.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh fair enough mckenna might not make it but i am confused by your points on the other three. My post was about eligible scots playing top flight in england. 

Dembele has never represented ivory coast at any level. Hes been in scotland since hes 8 and if we decide to call him up theres a decent chance he would say yes imo. Ivory coast have quite a strong squad. Probably stronger than us especially in dembeles position so hes more likely to get a chance with us  than them. Either way hes still technically a scot playing in the epl next season.

Cairneys still an eligible player playing epl next season, just because hes surplus to requirements doesnt change the fact that its good to see another scot playing top flight in england. Hopefully in the future our strength in depth will mean we have loads of guys like cairney who cant get in our squad despite playing in a top league.

Christie might already be a regular regardless of what league hes in but its still nice to see him get into the epl. I would say it was a slight step down for him to go to the championship at this stage of his career so him moving up to the epl and testing himself against elite players is surely a positive. 

Overall i was just looking at the positive that we should potentially have more eligible scots playing english top flight than the previous season which is good to see.

There's not much to be confused by, my points were pretty clear.

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There's not much to be confused by, my points were pretty clear.

Sorry, i meant to say i was confused as to why you were making those points. They have very little relevance to what i posted. 

It was just a summary of how many scots will be playing epl next season and the fact that its a postive that its slightly more than last season. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry, i meant to say i was confused as to why you were making those points. They have very little relevance to what i posted. 

It was just a summary of how many scots will be playing epl next season and the fact that its a postive that its slightly more than last season. 

It had plenty relevance. You picked two players who are unlikely to ever see a call up again or ever and one isn't even in the EPL yet.

53 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It had plenty relevance. You picked two players who are unlikely to ever see a call up again or ever and one isn't even in the EPL yet.

I havent picked any players. Its a fact that we have three/four(mckenna hopefully) players going up to the epl. Wether they get picked for the national team is a different matter. Feel free to discuss the merits of them being called up if you want but it had little to do with my original post.

The more scots in the epl is good news, if they impress they get will get called up if they dont then so be it. 

Should i just have mentioned the guys i think are good enough for a call up playing in the epl?

It wasnt my original point but if you want to discuss that instead then lets go for it.

We will have about 12 guys playing in the epl next season who i feel should/will be called up for future squads. Lol there are you happy now. 

Obviously that number can change based on performances and transfer activity.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I havent picked any players. Its a fact that we have three/four(mckenna hopefully) players going up to the epl. Wether they get picked for the national team is a different matter. Feel free to discuss the merits of them being called up if you want but it had little to do with my original post.

The more scots in the epl is good news, if they impress they get will get called up if they dont then so be it. 

Should i just have mentioned the guys i think are good enough for a call up playing in the epl?

It wasnt my original point but if you want to discuss that instead then lets go for it.

We will have about 12 guys playing in the epl next season who i feel should/will be called up for future squads. Lol there are you happy now. 

Obviously that number can change based on performances and transfer activity.

It's not a fact because Dembele isn't a definite option

Not sure if it's good or bad for Scotland with Robertson losing tonight 🤔 On one hand, he'd be coming to the camp on a major high had Liverpool won but now perhaps he may turn up determined to right a wrong? Either way, at least he didn't seem to get injured which was my main concern.

53 minutes ago, todd said:

Not sure if it's good or bad for Scotland with Robertson losing tonight 🤔 On one hand, he'd be coming to the camp on a major high had Liverpool won but now perhaps he may turn up determined to right a wrong? Either way, at least he didn't seem to get injured which was my main concern.

I think the beat thing was the match was settled over 90 minutes and he wasn't injured.

17 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not a fact because Dembele isn't a definite option

Thats irrelevant at the moment. The post was just about which scots will be going up to the epl. Dembele counts as a scot, wether he decides to play for us is a future decision. 

Currently we have three scots going up with a potential fourth(mckenna). 

What do you not understand about that statement?

For what its worth i think dembele will choose ivory coast but thats a future decision to be made and doesnt change that hes currently considered a scottish player. Its also not completely set in stone yet as ivory coast have some decent wingers/forwards. Certainly better than our options. We only have fraser and adams playing epl/top league. If dembele plays well/decent in a handful of games he will likely get called up by us. Anyway thats a different discussion from what i originally posted which for some reason you stubbornly want to keep arguing about despite me having simply stated a fact.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats irrelevant at the moment. The post was just about which scots will be going up to the epl. Dembele counts as a scot, wether he decides to play for us is a future decision. 

Currently we have three scots going up with a potential fourth(mckenna). 

What do you not understand about that statement?

For what its worth i think dembele will choose ivory coast but thats a future decision to be made and doesnt change that hes currently considered a scottish player. Its also not completely set in stone yet as ivory coast have some decent wingers/forwards. Certainly better than our options. We only have fraser and adams playing epl/top league. If dembele plays well/decent in a handful of games he will likely get called up by us. Anyway thats a different discussion from what i originally posted which for some reason you stubbornly want to keep arguing about despite me having simply stated a fact.

I'm the stubborn one who wants to keep the argument going yet You reply 19 hours later.

I really couldn't care less about you. You're the most boring poster on here.

10 hours ago, todd said:

Yes it is a tricky one. Best we could hope for is that he came through the match uninjured (check) and it did not go to an energy sapping injury time (check). I would like to think he'll see it as an exciting new challenge in a long, hard season full of challenges and test and it gives him renewed energy at the thought of captaining a Scotland team to our first World Cup Finals in a generation. 

On balance I think better to have narrowly lost in a way that did not damage any self belief, than to be caught up in too much 'world-beating' club heroics. Not that Robertson would be unfocused but the media could have prolonged the distraction. 

23 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Will Robertson be involved beyond the World Cup play offs or will Liverpool make some noise 

I can't see Liverpool making an issue of it given their season is over. Why would they? He'll have a good month off before returning for pre-season training. But in any case Clarke is sure to rest him for one or two of the Nations League games or have him play only 45 minutes. He is smart enough to realise what an arduous last month Robertson has had.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Will Robertson be involved beyond the World Cup play offs or will Liverpool make some noise 

He says he’s ready to play in all the games. I doubt that will actually happen but I think he’ll definitely be involved in the Nations League games to some extent.

We might only have one playoff game remember so playing 3 or 4 games in 2 weeks isn’t a big ask.