Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 156 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

27 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You're must be joking, for this place that was a feel-good post! 🤣

Thanks 👍

Never in a month of Sundays is Gilmour a defensive midfielder and if that's how some of the coaches he's played under see him then no wonder his progress is stalling.

Gilmour can tackle but he doesn't have the physicality to be a defensive midfielder, and frankly he'd be wasted in that role. He's much better when he's carrying the ball forward and trying to dictate the tempo of the game. To me, he looks like he could play as Modric/Pirlo deep-lying playmaker or even a number 10.

Also with you Scotlad. People seem to think if you are deep lying you are a defensive midfielder. Gilmour’s had some great games for us by finding little pockets of space and picking passes. Just hope his confidence hasn’t been knocked too much with his season at Norwich and what’s happened this pre season. He doesn’t appear to be a Thomas Tuchel type player. I’m confident he’ll find his way. We’ve seen enough of him already to know how much ability he’s got.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Also with you Scotlad. People seem to think if you are deep lying you are a defensive midfielder. Gilmour’s had some great games for us by finding little pockets of space and picking passes. Just hope his confidence hasn’t been knocked too much with his season at Norwich and what’s happened this pre season. He doesn’t appear to be a Thomas Tuchel type player. I’m confident he’ll find his way. We’ve seen enough of him already to know how much ability he’s got.

👍

21 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Mctominay must be the worst player ever to play over 150 times for Man United.

Surprised he wasn’t subbed with the booking that probably should have been a red 

made 8 passes in the first half

Edited by DAVIDB46

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I'd play someone alongside him to do his tackling for him and free him up to pick out his passes. One of the reasons we were so crap against Ukraine is they managed to stifle him.

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

it's probably the worst Man U team in 20 years so they probably have had no one better to pick.

Anyone thinking he is a top class player just because he plays for Man U is kidding themselves.

Yes, I see your point. But then  surely one of  Mourinho, Rangnick, ten Hag and all the others would have sold him and replaced him if they didn't consider him good enough for Man U? 

Personally I think Scott McTominay is a good player for us (Scotland) and actually don't care that much that he's a Man U player or whether or not he's a 'top class player' (though I suspect he pretty close to being one).

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

Yes, I see your point. But then  surely one of  Mourinho, Rangnick, ten Hag and all the others would have sold him and replaced him if they didn't consider him good enough for Man U? 

Personally I think Scott McTominay is a good player for us (Scotland) and actually don't care that much that he's a Man U player or whether or not he's a 'top class player' (though I suspect he pretty close to being one).

I'm not sure what he's done for Scotland to be considered a good player for us. Been poor every time he's played in midfield for us. 

McTominay has all the tools to be a top player, physique, height, engine, temperament, but is not progressing. In spite of all his caps I cannot recall one outstanding performance, but definitely many poor ones. He will get found out at Manchester United, and may do better at another club. For me, in spite of his obvious potential, he is never a starter for Scotland.

1 hour ago, HighlandScot said:

McTominay has all the tools to be a top player, physique, height, engine, temperament, but is not progressing. In spite of all his caps I cannot recall one outstanding performance, but definitely many poor ones. He will get found out at Manchester United, and may do better at another club. For me, in spite of his obvious potential, he is never a starter for Scotland.

aside for John Mcginn he is the best we have.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

it's probably the worst Man U team in 20 years so they probably have had no one better to pick.

Anyone thinking he is a top class player just because he plays for Man U is kidding themselves.

Scotland have picked him on that basis for the last five years or so 

Mactominay scored the goal that probably gave us the best atmosphere at Hampden this century.

The place was bouncing that night and as there was no away fans ,the biggest Scottish crowd this century as well 

I like big Scott and half a dozen managers who know a hell of a lot more about football than any of us scrotes on here do as well. He will get loads more caps.

🎵🎵 oooooooh Scott Mactominay, love you till my heart breaks🎵🎵🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍,

Edited by stocky

Anytime I have seen Mactominay have a good game is when he has played the box to box role but for some reason he is played more defensively.  He then ends up being the player covering most of the runs that the opposition players make rather than being involved with the ball. He is one of those players managers love as he does what he is told. I think there is a good player in him but needs to go to a team that will allow him to express himself.

46 minutes ago, stocky said:

Mactominay scored the goal that probably gave us the best atmosphere at Hampden this century.

The place was bouncing that night and as there was no away fans ,the biggest Scottish crowd this century as well 

I like big Scott and half a dozen managers who know a hell of a lot more about football than any of us scrotes on here do as well. He will get loads more caps.

I'm with stocky👍

Ten Hag clearly rates him and I suspect Scott M. will have opportunities to redeem himself sooner rather than later. (And I have a hunch playing alongside quality midfielders like Ericksen and Van Der Beek is only going to help him develop as a key part in Ten Hag's project. And that has to help us?  If I'm wrong, then I'm sure he'll find a new club).

13 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Someone should sit McTominay down and show him videos of Rodri and Fabinho, and watch and learn.

He has all the attributes to play that sole CDM role, and then have the likes of Gilmour, McGinn and MacGregor ahead of him creating the play....

I thought the same. I don’t watch a lot of Man U but maybe that’s not a good position for him and why Clarke plays him in defence. 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

McTominay is an objectively talented player. Like Gilmour, because the team he plays for are going through a rough patch, his deficiencies will be highlighted far more. Not to mention the knock in confidence that brings. We are lucky to have him.

However, McTominay is not an undroppable player. I would say only Robertson, Tierney and McGinn are undroppable. They could be sitting on their team's bench all season and I'd still start them. I think McTominay, like everyone else, has to prove he deserves to be in the first 11 based on form.