Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 316 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Clark needs to tap Marshall up to come out of retirement, as third choice.

Marshall has been performing very poorly for over a year.

If forced into a decision id be tempted to use McCrorie only on the basis that he performed well for Rangers in the few games he played at tale end of last season. Although as stated previously im against that idea as he should be moving on and then we can really see how good or otherwise he is. 

Im still hoping Gordon replaces Clark at Hearts and then that solves the problem.

21 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Marshall has been performing very poorly for over a year.

If forced into a decision id be tempted to use McCrorie only on the basis that he performed well for Rangers in the few games he played at tale end of last season. Although as stated previously im against that idea as he should be moving on and then we can really see how good or otherwise he is. 

Im still hoping Gordon replaces Clark at Hearts and then that solves the problem.

I'd sooner promote from U-21 and get Cieran Slicker in.

12 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Football is a business based around winning. The EPL like all of the major leagues in Europe buy the best players they can judged on talent not on where they live. The EPL differs massively from the days of the First Division when likes of Liverpool and Nottingham Forest were largely made up of players from the UK. Once the First Division became the EPL and TV revenues have risen massively over the years the EPL clubs shopping habits have changed massively, It does contain a lot of English players still but that they are quality. The amount of foreigners now plying their trade in the EPL is like night and day compared to the First Division days so the Scots there are there on merit not because they were born just up the road. And they outnumber the countries we are competing against at the Euros.

If you wish to judge it solely on how well the players are spread across the major leagues of Germany, England, Spain, Italy and France then the Scots do not get blown away.

Germany have 26 players playing outwith Germany.

Switzerland have 33 players playing in the five major leagues.

Scotland have 24 players playing across the five major leagues.

Hungary have 11 players playing across the five major leagues. 

Even with all the money in the top leagues there is still preference for clubs and players in certain countries to continue on the tried and tested route when it comes to neighbouring countries.

Why do you think we have 12/13 players in the epl rather than the bundesliga or serie a. Both of those leagues could be raiding the spfl for players but they don't. Even back in the 90s when the epl wasn't massively richer than the other top leagues Scottish players were being bought up by English clubs rather than foreign ones.

One of the main reasons is close proximity to home, similar culture and the same language. Theres plenty of clubs in la liga or serie a that can afford Scottish players but they don't buy them. 

Historically Hungary and swiss players have always played more in the other top European leagues than the epl. 

Surely you can understand that comparing how many players we have in the epl with Switzerland or Hungary is unfair when most of their players are going to be playing in the other top leagues which are still very rich and have a good standard.

Your point about the epl being able to afford foreigners is moot as well. All the top 5 leagues can afford to buy the best from around the globe these days but they still have their preference with regards buying local(neighbouring countries).

The epl will always snap up Scottish, Welsh and Irish in the same way serie a snaps up Yugoslavians.

Also where are you getting your numbers from with regards Scotland. I don't count 24 of our players playing across the top leagues. Theres about 12/13 playing epl and 1 in la liga and 2 in serie a. That's about 15/16. 

I count about 8/9 for Hungary but thats going by Wikipedia. Maybe theres guys they don't call up that are playing in the top leagues. 

Also you haven't included Germans playing in the bundesliga. You still have to be a excellent player to play in Germany regardless of wether you are German or not. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Even with all the money in the top leagues there is still preference for clubs and players in certain countries to continue on the tried and tested route when it comes to neighbouring countries.

Why do you think we have 12/13 players in the epl rather than the bundesliga or serie a. Both of those leagues could be raiding the spfl for players but they don't. Even back in the 90s when the epl wasn't massively richer than the other top leagues Scottish players were being bought up by English clubs rather than foreign ones.

One of the main reasons is close proximity to home, similar culture and the same language. Theres plenty of clubs in la liga or serie a that can afford Scottish players but they don't buy them. 

Historically Hungary and swiss players have always played more in the other top European leagues than the epl. 

Surely you can understand that comparing how many players we have in the epl with Switzerland or Hungary is unfair when most of their players are going to be playing in the other top leagues which are still very rich and have a good standard.

Your point about the epl being able to afford foreigners is moot as well. All the top 5 leagues can afford to buy the best from around the globe these days but they still have their preference with regards buying local(neighbouring countries).

The epl will always snap up Scottish, Welsh and Irish in the same way serie a snaps up Yugoslavians.

Also where are you getting your numbers from with regards Scotland. I don't count 24 of our players playing across the top leagues. Theres about 12/13 playing epl and 1 in la liga and 2 in serie a. That's about 15/16. 

I count about 8/9 for Hungary but thats going by Wikipedia. Maybe theres guys they don't call up that are playing in the top leagues. 

Also you haven't included Germans playing in the bundesliga. You still have to be a excellent player to play in Germany regardless of wether you are German or not. 

There is a website that lists countries players and how many are playing in what leagues. Also you do understand too that many Swiss, Germany and Hungarian players listed playing in major leagues are not regulars either like Fraser Hornby (Bundesliga) and Liam Henderson (Serie A).

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is a website that lists countries players and how many are playing in what leagues. Also you do understand too that many Swiss, Germany and Hungarian players listed playing in major leagues are not regulars either like Fraser Hornby (Bundesliga) and Liam Henderson (Serie A).

I have only counted the guys that are getting a regular gametime. 

Not sure what numbers Hungary and Switzerland would accurately have but it seems like swiss have slightly more than us and the Hungarians have slightly less than us. 

I am willing to concede that it is slightly harder to make it in the epl these days than in ligue 1 or the bundesliga which means theres a bit more value being an epl player. Some of the Hungarian and swiss players who play in the other top 5 leagues may not be good enough for the epl and us having lots of epl players is a bonus in terms of them playing a very high standard every week.

Thought Patterson looked good when he came on last night. It's an odd situation there, I've got pals who are Everton fans who think Coleman is well past it but Dyche seems fixated on playing 'more experience' there in either him or Young. I think Mykolenko has eventually won him over on the left so hopefully Patterson can do the same

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Thought Patterson looked good when he came on last night. It's an odd situation there, I've got pals who are Everton fans who think Coleman is well past it but Dyche seems fixated on playing 'more experience' there in either him or Young. I think Mykolenko has eventually won him over on the left so hopefully Patterson can do the same

Great to hear he did well & he got nearly 30 minutes which is okay, it's the 5 to 10 minutes cameo which aren't much use to him. Like you say it seems to have taken the Ukrainian playing left back a while to win Dyche over & Patterson is 2 years younger than him so still has time. 

Reckon as long as Everton don't sign another right back in January or next summer then Dyche does see Patterson as the future if not exactly the present.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Great to hear he did well & he got nearly 30 minutes which is okay, it's the 5 to 10 minutes cameo which aren't much use to him. Like you say it seems to have taken the Ukrainian playing left back a while to win Dyche over & Patterson is 2 years younger than him so still has time. 

Reckon as long as Everton don't sign another right back in January or next summer then Dyche does see Patterson as the future if not exactly the present.

Got 30 minutes, touched the ball 8 times and made 3 passes. 

People see what they want to see. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got 30 minutes, touched the ball 8 times and made 3 passes. 

People see what they want to see. 

Certainly not ideal being 22 & never having had more than a handful of starts in a row at club level. Not sure of the best solution, a loan in January or hang in there & try to impress enough when the chances come.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

They

are actually running away from his arse

McGinn and McTominay are both in the form of their lives. It's not often we have players excelling for Scotland and their club at the exact same time. If they can maintain their current form, they will put quite a bit of fear into the opposition at the Euros.

Doak on the bench again for Liverpool. Being in an elite team's matchday squad consistently would be enough for a lot of other nations to call them up. It's ashame Liverpool rarely put teams to the sword these days. If they were 3 nil up at 60mins, Klopp would probably be more likely to give Doak a few run outs.

46 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

McGinn and McTominay are both in the form of their lives. It's not often we have players excelling for Scotland and their club at the exact same time. If they can maintain their current form, they will put quite a bit of fear into the opposition at the Euros.

Doak on the bench again for Liverpool. Being in an elite team's matchday squad consistently would be enough for a lot of other nations to call them up. It's ashame Liverpool rarely put teams to the sword these days. If they were 3 nil up at 60mins, Klopp would probably be more likely to give Doak a few run outs.

The Xmas schedule plus Salah going to the Afcon may open the door for Doak to get some more minutes under his belt over the next few weeks, in addition to Europa League knockouts thereafter. Especially when Klopp is having his annual moan about fixture congestion.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:28 PM, theabsentee said:

There's quite a few of us on here fancy trying Hickey as a holding midfielder but there's no realistic way that can happen unless he is tried there by his club & Patterson starts to get more than a few minutes cameo minutes.

I disagree, Hickey could be played in defensive midfield without playing there for Brentford. There’s plenty of examples where this has happened. Even within our own team, Robertson hadn’t  played left wing back before at club football, Tierney hadn’t played as a left centre half before at club level. I think it would be worth a try, Hickey’s profile and from what I’ve seen of him playing suggests to me that he could adapt to the position and pretty quickly. But you never know how these things turn out until you try. Tierney adapted almost instantly, Robertson took a little longer, but has been fantastic as a left wing back for some time now. 
I think we do really need a defensive/holding midfielder as the finishing piece to the team. It would make us better defensively and allow more freedom to McGregor who in my opinion is best as an attacking playmaker, not as a deep sitting playmaker. I believe that Celtic have made this very adjustment just recently in their match against Hibs. It would also allow McTominay to play his natural box-box game knowing there’s cover behind him in central midfield. 
If Hickey was to move into midfield, it would allow Patterson to play, again I think this would help us offensively without detracting from us defensively. Patterson isn’t getting much game time at the moment, hopefully that will change and he’ll get more time as Everton have a pretty small squad and a lot of games coming up over the festive period. But Patterson will be very fit, regardless. Dyche has his squad very fit and it’s been noticeable since he took over at Everton how fitter the players look. 
I also see that Leon King is playing as defensive midfield for Scotland u21’s, and they are going well at the moment. I don’t believe he played there for Rangers, I think he only ever played as a Centre Halve?

Theres no guarantees it would work with Hickey, but I think it’s worth trying in the upcoming friendlies because it’s a position I feel needs filled in midfield. In fact I can’t really think of any team who doesn’t play with a defensive/holding midfielder except us.