News from the Camp - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/8/2021 at 10:52 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't buy into the myth of outer forces being to blame. It is all of our own doing. No tough decisions just dire results/performances from us cost us.

1974 - Eliminated due to lack of goals against Zaire.

1978 - Eliminated due to sub-standard performances against Iran and Peru.

1982 - Eliminated due to goals conceded against New Zealand and failing to beat USSR due to defensive frailties.

1986 - Eliminated when we failed to break down a 10-man Uruguay side in 89 minutes.

1990 - Eliminated due to a calamitous defeat against Costa Rica.

1992 - Unlucky to get through but cannot recall any controversial decisions robbing us.

1996 - Eliminated due to failing to beat Switzerland by more goals.

1998 - One to forget after a promising opener V Brazil. Ended up being embarrassed by Morocco.

I think we were fair and square just not good enough in 1998, and in 1992, we 'found our level', and not too bad being in the top 8 in Europe (arguably, 5th best, on basis of wins and goal difference, ahead of France, England and CIS).

What is agonising in the other cases (that maybe defined the 'unlucky' mood for decades) was the sense of being promising and so close but losing out on goal difference time and time again. 74, 78, 82, ...

Looking back, 1986 was also agonisingly close, but only in the sense that one goal in the last game would have done us (similarly in 1990) but the harsh truth is we weren't actually eliminated on goal difference but not enough points.

In 1996 it wasn't even goal difference, it was goals scored.  Looking back, we only actually scored one goal in the whole tournament. 

In fact from 86, goals scored were: 1, 2, 3, 1, 1. Not great. (And 3 of those were in a game when we were already eliminated.)

• Craig Burley was our last tournament goal.
  • Ally McCoist was our last winning goal.
  • Mo Johnston was our last winning goal when we were still in tournament after the end of game. That was 31 years ago!

By our 30 year record, if we get one goal and one win we'll be doing well!

Not exactly the camp but good to hear these words from Sir Alex from a few weeks ago. Has a bit of authority when it comes from him. Some good points about Clarke and the quality in the team - although he doesn't quite get it right about going 1-0 up in 1998.....:blink:

7 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If O'Donnell is potentially out would Clarke start Forrest at RWB?

As much as I'd love to start Patterson and Gilmour start. 2 19 year olds in a starting lineup is very bold and I'm not sure Clarke would do that.

I think there is a pretty good chance either Forrest or Fraser would have been starting at rwb anyway, based on the fact he's trialled it against the Faroes and the Dutch. This would be the game to use it, then revert back to O'Donnell for the other games, where we'll need to be more defensive.

1 hour ago, Debian said:

100% not at the wind up.  My posting history for providing info will back this up. 

Your posting history won't go as far back as 1998 though - so this is not the same situation. If there is a leak from the camp then that us worrying and I would rather not know,  as I'm sure Steve Clarke would also. 

3 hours ago, Debian said:

100% not at the wind up.  My posting history for providing info will back this up. 

I don’t tend to check peoples posting history to decide if I believe a rumour that has been posted without a link or at least a source. 

Not that I’m suggesting you are lying but I’ll take it with a pinch of salt until the team is announced tomorrow. 

On 6/12/2021 at 10:56 AM, exile said:

I think we were fair and square just not good enough in 1998, and in 1992, we 'found our level', and not too bad being in the top 8 in Europe (arguably, 5th best, on basis of wins and goal difference, ahead of France, England and CIS).

What is agonising in the other cases (that maybe defined the 'unlucky' mood for decades) was the sense of being promising and so close but losing out on goal difference time and time again. 74, 78, 82, ...

Looking back, 1986 was also agonisingly close, but only in the sense that one goal in the last game would have done us (similarly in 1990) but the harsh truth is we weren't actually eliminated on goal difference but not enough points.

In 1996 it wasn't even goal difference, it was goals scored.  Looking back, we only actually scored one goal in the whole tournament. 

In fact from 86, goals scored were: 1, 2, 3, 1, 1. Not great. (And 3 of those were in a game when we were already eliminated.)

• Craig Burley was our last tournament goal.
  • Ally McCoist was our last winning goal.
  • Mo Johnston was our last winning goal when we were still in tournament after the end of game. That was 31 years ago!

By our 30 year record, if we get one goal and one win we'll be doing well!

I enjoyed reading your post exile, quite sobering. But on an optimistic note, we have a low bar to clear to show progress!

3 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Your posting history won't go as far back as 1998 though - so this is not the same situation. If there is a leak from the camp then that us worrying and I would rather not know,  as I'm sure Steve Clarke would also. 

According to Clarke the players won’t even know who is starting until tomorrow so any potential leak must have come from Clarke himself or one of his coaching team. 

If O’Donnell and Marshall start tomorrow then we’ll know that it was just a rumour. If Gordon, Gilmour and Patterson start then I’ll begin to suspect that Debian might actually be Steve Clarke. 😂

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

According to Clarke the players won’t even know who is starting until tomorrow so any potential leak must have come from Clarke himself or one of his coaching team. 

If O’Donnell and Marshall start tomorrow then we’ll know that it was just a rumour. If Gordon, Gilmour and Patterson start then I’ll begin to suspect that Debian might actually be Steve Clarke. 😂

:ok: Absolutely. No point in spreading any kind of rumour like this, totally pointless.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Well I hope the Czech management team don't peruse this board then 😛

I hope you are right. About Gilmour, not O'Donnell. 

A few internet rumours can only help add to the uncertainty what the starting line up will be!

If Gilmour was going to play you would think he would have started one friendly?

3 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I enjoyed reading your post exile, quite sobering. But on an optimistic note, we have a low bar to clear to show progress!

Thanks and yes, the positive take from it is that the bar is low. To me it feels as if this team is so different a generation, they are not burdened with the previous agonising combination of high expectations or meagre returns.