News from the Camp - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

16 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I’m trying my best not to get carried away but there’s just something in the way he’s carrying himself that’s putting seeds of hope in my mind the bastard 😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣 same here.

Every interview I watch with him or the players fills me with hope. Talk of squad unity, high spirits, confidence, no cliques and working hard are making me think we are going to take the euros by storm🤣🤣

Fuck of hope, just fuck off🤣

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 same here.

Every interview I watch with him or the players fills me with hope. Talk of squad unity, high spirits, confidence, no cliques and working hard are making me think we are going to take the euros by storm🤣🤣

😂

Two weeks ago I’d have been happy just not embarrassing ourselves but now I’m going be genuinely gutted when VAR conspires to knock us out the group stages via goal difference  😂

Don’t know if it’s just me but he seems to have a twinkle in his eye around the tune he can get out of this group with the extended time he’s had. Fucking stop it you dick- it’ll end in tears!

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 same here.

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Don’t know if it’s just me but he seems to have a twinkle in his eye around the tune he can get out of this group with the extended time he’s had. Fucking stop it you dick- it’ll end in tears!

I remember Ally MacLeod having a similar twinkle in his eye. 
Hope is NOT your friend 😩

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 same here.

I’m trying my best not to get carried away but there’s just something in the way he’s carrying himself that’s putting seeds of hope in my mind the bastard 😂

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

😂

Two weeks ago I’d have been happy just not embarrassing ourselves but now I’m going be genuinely gutted when VAR conspires to knock us out the group stages via goal difference  😂

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I remember Ally MacLeod having a similar twinkle in his eye. 
Hope is NOT your friend 😩

Don't fight it, embrace it 😉 :bouncy: You never know, there is a distinct possibility this might end up being an enjoyable experience.

It hasn't happened very often in recent years so make the most of it while it lasts! We have to break the hoodoo sometime, so why not now?

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

I’m trying my best not to get carried away but there’s just something in the way he’s carrying himself that’s putting seeds of hope in my mind the bastard 😂

Don't fight it, embrace it 😉 :bouncy: You never know, there is a distinct possibility this might end up being an enjoyable experience.

It hasn't happened very often in recent years so make the most of it while it lasts! We have to break the hoodoo sometime, so why not now?

Oh I'm embracing it. As you say it could be another 20 years and then I'm 60 so as far as I'm concerned at this.point we have a chance of winning the whole fuckong tournament 🤣🤣🤣

On 6/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, vanderark14 said:

Oh I'm embracing it. As you say it could be another 20 years and then I'm 60 so as far as I'm concerned at this.point we have a chance of winning the whole fuckong tournament 🤣🤣🤣

With Dykes golden boot before a massive move to Barcelona taking the number 10 shirt they'd previously thought of retiring? 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

With Dykes golden boot before a massive move to Barcelona taking the number 10 shirt they'd previously thought of retiring? 

Sound reasonable to me mate.

Last night and against Holland were both excellent performances.

Luxembourg were fairly aggressive and the boy that cut Gilmour down was very lucky he wasn't shown a red - he would have in a competitive game. They are a decent side though as recent results have shown, but we really put on a decent performance and made them look a lot worse than they currently are.

Adams and Dykes worked very hard and Che took his goal well. Dykes does a lot of hard and ugly work at times, you can see he's probably playing at  level above his natural ability, and whilst I wouldn't rely on him to score goals, he does work hard and a constant nuisance to other teams' defenders. He's ideal as a supporting front man, or someone to stick on against a side like Croatia, Czech Republic or England if we are winning 2-1.

Paterson did well when he came on, not to be harsh on the lad as it was a very decent debut but he could have been away a couple more times as well, but he looked to the safer option of cutting it inside or back. I reckon SOD will start, but judging from last night and his few appearances this year, he'll hopefully have a long career with the national team and I wouldn't have any problem putting him in the XI at any point this campaign.

We seen alone what Gilmour can do. An absolute player. Even if it was Luxembourg, and even if it was only 28 odd minutes, he really took the game by the scruff and some excellent moments. I was listening to Sportsound and they were convinced that BG won't start, but I don't know, with skill and quality that good, he's going to be needed at some point - as we will be behind or needing a result in the Euros.

Overall, a very good week for us. Hugely disappointing that we didn't score a few more goals considering the 10 men and how well we dominated ; but at the same time, two very decent performances and ''four out of six'', is ideal preparation. Imagine if we had beaten Holland 2-1, and say we won 3-0 yesterday ; we would be or some might be getting carried away.

Clíched and so on, but slow and steady wins the race.

We have a decent squad. I'm not sure how far we will go, but we are well within the margins of getting to the last sixteen. Three very tough games, two at home will help to a slight extend.

Really looking forward to the tournament. Just hope Fleck gets his negative tests soon and the squad is back and no more scares.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:14 AM, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 same here.

Hahahaha! It's murder.

Speaking to other people I'm trying to be a reasonable person. But underneath, there is a mad irrational romantic who truly believes we will top the group.

Football fans are lunatics. 

😅

What I like is that there has been such a gap, that it feels like a completely new generation, who are not connected in any way to the previous tournaments. Sure we could crash out but I don't feel so much it would feel like "oh no not again" - this side are the side who won a Nations league group, who won penalty shoot-outs and play-offs: they have created their own history that no other Scotland sides did and did it without fear or the baggage of expectation. And that must breed confidence.

Like when losing the late goal to Serbia. It didn't feel like, oh no, Scotland have blown it, it wasn't to be. More like, OK, can this team show they can come back from this and still write their own history...

5 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I actually caught myself thinking last night that topping the group would.bite us with a less favourable draw in the 2nd round. Absolute madness. 

Nae reason we cannae win the group even if it is a long shot. Win both our games at Hampden and we have a chance. Probably best to come second right enough but at least we’d be at Wembley again if we did manage to do it. 

6 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I actually caught myself thinking last night that topping the group would.bite us with a less favourable draw in the 2nd round. Absolute madness. 

1 hour ago, Kiltedsteamer147 said:

Nae reason we cannae win the group even if it is a long shot. Win both our games at Hampden and we have a chance. Probably best to come second right enough but at least we’d be at Wembley again if we did manage to do it. 

I was doing the office predictor earlier and looking at the draw thinking Sod's law we'll finally win a group and get Germany/France/Portugal. England will come 2nd to us and get Me & My Mum again :lol:

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I was doing the office predictor earlier and looking at the draw thinking Sod's law we'll finally win a group and get Germany/France/Portugal. England will come 2nd to us and get Me & My Mum again :lol:

I would bite yer paw off right now for a last 16 match at Wembley against any of those three. 

2 minutes ago, Kiltedsteamer147 said:

I would bite yer paw off right now for a last 16 match at Wembley against any of those three. 

Having suffered since the 70s, I too would be delighted just to make it to the second round of a tournament :ok:

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Having suffered since the 70s, I too would be delighted just to make it to the second round of a tournament :ok:

I’d probably rather have a glamour last 16 tie at Wembley than play Sweden in Copenhagen or whatever and probably go out anyway.

If I’m being honest I really don’t care who we play in the second round as long as we get there. Bring on all comers!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Me and My Mum will get put out in the group stage by Lapland or Melchester Rovers.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

On 6/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, ThistleWhistle said:

😂

You can look at VAR both ways though. Imagine it being used for Luxembourg game? They'd definitely been down to nine men for the assault on Billy Gilmour. There may be a marginally offside goal missed by officials for the Czechs next week but VAR helps us. In short VAR is the same for everybody.

50 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You can look at VAR both ways though. Imagine it being used for Luxembourg game? They'd definitely been down to nine men for the assault on Billy Gilmour. There may be a marginally offside goal missed by officials for the Czechs next week but VAR helps us. In short VAR is the same for everybody.

Semi-controversial opinion - I love VAR. The amount of times over the past few decades that we've been cheated out of victories, goals, decisions, due to human error and refs being conned is staggering. Until now, I've always lived in fear that if things aren't going well for the opposition then they will usually have a player with loose morals that will dive in the box. Or outside the box (See Depay). Actually, do freekicks get checked by VAR?

Quite surprised to see that we have allowed the players to leave the camp and spend time with their families at home prior to re-joining up.

It's a huge and completely unnecessary risk. It only takes one of their family members to have been a bit lax and they could get infected and bring it into the camp. I really hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

We could end up in a situation whereby we are missing players for the first couple of games if they come back and return a positive test.

Edited by Lion Rampant

3 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Quite surprised to see that we have allowed the players to leave the camp and spend time with their families at home prior to re-joining up.

It's a huge and completely unnecessary risk. It only takes one of their family members to have been a bit lax and they could get infected and bring it into the camp. I really hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

We could end up in a situation whereby we are missing players for the first couple of games if they come back and return a positive test.

I agree.

I can see the value of it as it keeps the players relaxed and content and breaks up the boredom where, otherwise, they'd be hanging around in a hotel. However, it is a risk of picking up COVID too. I'd have preferred a system that each player was allowed a family visit providing the family had returned two negative COVID test results.

7 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

i think it’s good for the guys to see their families.  It’s a long time to be away from them and means they are likely to be more mentally attuned.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i think it’s good for the guys to see their families.  It’s a long time to be away from them and means they are likely to be more mentally attuned.

100% agree in normal circumstances, but not with the way things are.

We had a lucky escape with Fleck it seems, in that he didn't infect anyone else in the group but it could have so easily been different.

It's not the spending time with their families that is the issue for me, it's letting them out of the secure team bubble. As CC says above, it could have been managed in a much more secure manner and they would have been able to have that family time within a secure environment.

5 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

100% agree in normal circumstances, but not with the way things are.

We had a lucky escape with Fleck it seems, in that he didn't infect anyone else in the group but it could have so easily been different.

It's not the spending time with their families that is the issue for me, it's letting them out of the secure team bubble. As CC says above, it could have been managed in a much more secure manner and they would have been able to have that family time within a secure environment.

yeah, that might have been sensible.... family tested and then brought in to a secure environment