News from the Camp - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

10 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

The woke is very strong in this thread. I'll take a moment of reflection before each match for all the poor souls missing out on things they feel they are entitled to have but won't get because miserable, ungrateful khunts like me do get them. 

It's a cruel, unfair world. Luckily I don't give a #### what folk on the Internet think. 

It's got sweet FA to do with woke pish. You waltz onto a board stacked full of excited Scotland fans (some with tickets but most not) and claim you are not excited at all so what reaction do you expect to get. Now I don't know you but going by name you are in Birmingham. Maybe being outwith Scotland that is why you aren't catching the excitement bubbling in Scotland.

You seem smug in the knowledge you had enough points in the SSC. Well done you. There are many in the SSC who'd love to follow Scotland here, there and everywhere but cannot because of A. Financial constraints and B. Work commitments and so that does not make them any less of a fan than those who could get to those games just a little less unfortunate.

And just remember with your comments - you reap what you sow.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of any Euros related programmes that the BBC or STV have on in the run up to the tournament? 

I was sure I saw an advert for a BBC programme, but have been looking out for it and haven't noticed anything.

Would be really good to get a "route to the finals" type of programme with interviews with the players/management. 

Edited to add - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wzy9

Just found this, which must have been what I saw the advert for.

Edited by Lion Rampant

5 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Does anyone know of any Euros related programmes that the BBC or STV have on in the run up to the tournament? 

I was sure I saw an advert for a BBC programme, but have been looking out for it and haven't noticed anything.

Would be really good to get a "route to the finals" type of programme with interviews with the players/management. 

Edited to add - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wzy9

Just found this, which must have been what I saw the advert for.

BBC Scotland are starting their build up from Friday night, with a whole host of shows.

Its Tartan Army Juke Box this Friday, and there is a Travels of the Tartan Army Show being shown on the 10th, and Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove have a programme that is to be shown also. 

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

BBC Scotland are starting their build up from Friday night, with a whole host of shows.

Its Tartan Army Juke Box this Friday, and there is a Travels of the Tartan Army Show being shown on the 10th, and Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove have a programme that is to be shown also. 

Thanks 👌

On 5/31/2021 at 11:11 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

True. Very true. However, if you are a Scotland fan who cannot get excited about our first foray into a major tournament for 23 years I have to question whether the tickets would be better served elsewhere.

This.

Christ, I felt like Charlie Bucket just getting the afternoon off work to watch the Czech game - on TV!  :lol:

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Run for it, scotlad! Run straight home, and don't stop 'til you get there!

;)

Substitute "pub"* for "home" and that is exactly my plan! 

*Lockdown permitting.

1 hour ago, exile said:

So Scotland are to be based at Middlesbrough's training ground? Any word about how that might affect anything?

:huh:

I'm obviously missing something here...why are basing ourselves hundreds of miles away from where we're playing two of our games at Hampden?  Or are we only going to be based there for the England game? (Not that Middlesbrough is exactly close to London!)

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Substitute "pub"* for "home" and that is exactly my plan! 

*Lockdown permitting.

:huh:

I'm obviously missing something here...why are basing ourselves hundreds of miles away from where we're playing two of our games at Hampden?  Or are we only going to be based there for the England game? (Not that Middlesbrough is exactly close to London!)

Based in Middlesbrough as by the time we had qualified, both Czech Republic and Croatia had taken two of the main bases that we could have used. 

Looks a decent decision now as Croatia and the Czechs have had to abandon the camps in Scotland due to the restrictions imposed by the Scottish government. I understand that in the event of one member of the squad testing positive, the remaining members would all have to isolate. 

Absolutely bonkers and no wonder they would rather base themselves in their own country and fly in for the games. 

11 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Based in Middlesbrough as by the time we had qualified, both Czech Republic and Croatia had taken two of the main bases that we could have used. 

Looks a decent decision now as Croatia and the Czechs have had to abandon the camps in Scotland due to the restrictions imposed by the Scottish government. I understand that in the event of one member of the squad testing positive, the remaining members would all have to isolate. 

Absolutely bonkers and no wonder they would rather base themselves in their own country and fly in for the games. 

Cheers.

Bloody hell, it's like Mexico '86 all over again.  :lol:

29 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Not accurate. Our whole squad didn’t need to self isolate when Armstrong tested positive. That’s just what the Czechs and Croatians are claiming. I suspect they don’t like the social distancing rules which they claim is costing them a lot more than they were going to pay when they booked the places originally. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Not accurate. Our whole squad didn’t need to self isolate when Armstrong tested positive. That’s just what the Czechs and Croatians are claiming. I suspect they don’t like the social distancing rules which they claim is costing them a lot more than they were going to pay when they booked the places originally. 

I think you’re spot on with that. This is a Czech side who had major issues 8/9 months ago with Covid, which says enough. For me they clearly have an issue with the social distancing and mitigations required to stay here.

3 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

I think you’re spot on with that. This is a Czech side who had major issues 8/9 months ago with Covid, which says enough. For me they clearly have an issue with the social distancing and mitigations required to stay here.

Only thing that makes sense. 

The Scottish Government have already come out and said their whole squad wouldn’t need to isolate if one player tests positive. They would need to provide close contacts of that person and they would also need to isolate so maybe they assume all players would count as close contacts? This would only be the case if they weren’t bothering with any social distancing at all. 

The Croatia one is weird though as I think they were talking about moving their base to Wales where the rules are very similar. Sounds like cost cutting to me. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe not the whole squad but I think what is defined as a close contact is a lot stricter than elsewhere. 

I seem to remember some kind of issue with some celtic players having to isolate on the back of Armstrong testing positive, but Tierney who was also a close contact was back playing for Arsenal. 

There may well be other issues, but these teams will know more of what's expected of them than we do. 

I mean surely it's costing them more to stay in their own country and then charter planes back and forth for the 3 games. Then organise travel to and from Airports within the UK. 

3 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Maybe not the whole squad but I think what is defined as a close contact is a lot stricter than elsewhere. 

I seem to remember some kind of issue with some celtic players having to isolate on the back of Armstrong testing positive, but Tierney who was also a close contact was back playing for Arsenal. 

There may well be other issues, but these teams will know more of what's expected of them than we do. 

I mean surely it's costing them more to stay in their own country and then charter planes back and forth for the 3 games. Then organise travel to and from Airports within the UK. 

No I don’t think so. Not the rest of the UK anyway. The rules are probably more lax in Czech Republic.

There was a difference in how long Tierney and Christie had to isolate but not the fact that they had to. I think the self isolation period is the same throughout the UK now but I could be wrong.

They might know more than we do but they don’t know more about it than the Scottish government who have basically said they are talking shite. 

Fair point about the Czechs but I’m sure it was the Croatians moaning about the cost of their base at St Andrews. Was a few days ago I read it so I can’t remember the specific details. 

Are these teams still flying in the night before games? That will surely still require some kind of adherance to restrictions in Scotland even if only staying for one night. Surely they wont fly the day of the games?

6 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Are these teams still flying in the night before games? That will surely still require some kind of adherance to restrictions in Scotland even if only staying for one night. Surely they wont fly the day of the games?

The quarantine rules don’t apply to elite sports. If they did the Czechs and would need to isolate for 10 days as the Czech Republic is an amber country. 

Not sure what rules they will need to follow when they get here but it doesn’t sound like the best preparation for a big match. 

On 6/1/2021 at 11:17 PM, Texas Pete said:

The quarantine rules don’t apply to elite sports. If they did the Czechs and would need to isolate for 10 days as the Czech Republic is an amber country. 

Not sure what rules they will need to follow when they get here but it doesn’t sound like the best preparation for a big match. 

Yeah it's a massive hindrance to them. Instead of a couple hours bus journey. They are doing a bus journey from their team hotel to the Airport, checking in, flying (4:30-5 hours), bus to the hotel, getting set up at the hotel, then bus to the game. Everything added up its probably 8-10 hours maybe more.

You are basically losing a days preparation coming and then losing a days preparation returning. Instead of a couple hours bus journey, it's basically 2 days written off. As they won't travel the same day as the game, whereas as we probably will.

It also doesn't seem the best idea to be going to public airports 6 times in 12 days.

7 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Yeah it's a massive hindrance to them. Instead of a couple hours bus journey. They are doing a bus journey from their team hotel to the Airport, checking in, flying (4:30-5 hours), bus to the hotel, getting set up at the hotel, then bus to the game. Everything added up its probably 8-10 hours maybe more.

You are basically losing a days preparation coming and then losing a days preparation returning. Instead of a couple hours bus journey, it's basically 2 days written off. As they won't travel the same day as the game, whereas as we probably will.

It also doesn't seem the best idea to be going to public airports 6 times in 12 days.

Well a bit more than that as I presume they are doing the same for these pre-tournament friendlies too.

11 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

bit of a comical intro to this press conference but Steve is sounding good

I’m trying my best not to get carried away but there’s just something in the way he’s carrying himself that’s putting seeds of hope in my mind the bastard 😂