News from the Camp - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You can look at VAR both ways though. Imagine it being used for Luxembourg game? They'd definitely been down to nine men for the assault on Billy Gilmour. There may be a marginally offside goal missed by officials for the Czechs next week but VAR helps us. In short VAR is the same for everybody.

I get that but we're masters of finding new ways not to get out of the group stages - even the women's team had a right good crack at breaking new ground.  

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I get that but we're masters of finding new ways not to get out of the group stages - even the women's team had a right good crack at breaking new ground.  

I don't buy into the myth of outer forces being to blame. It is all of our own doing. No tough decisions just dire results/performances from us cost us.

1974 - Eliminated due to lack of goals against Zaire.

1978 - Eliminated due to sub-standard performances against Iran and Peru.

1982 - Eliminated due to goals conceded against New Zealand and failing to beat USSR due to defensive frailties.

1986 - Eliminated when we failed to break down a 10-man Uruguay side in 89 minutes.

1990 - Eliminated due to a calamitous defeat against Costa Rica.

1992 - Unlucky to get through but cannot recall any controversial decisions robbing us.

1996 - Eliminated due to failing to beat Switzerland by more goals.

1998 - One to forget after a promising opener V Brazil. Ended up being embarrassed by Morocco.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I'd like to discuss where we think are at at the moment. I think judging the two friendlies alone, Armstrong gave the best performance in midfield for me, McGinn and McTominay weren't great. Scott in particular seemed a bit slack in his passing, was he trying too hard? Robertson got amazingly only his second assist for us. Defence I think is fine but finishing and set pieces needs work. 

15 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Have we got anyone who’s likely to start games who’s ever scored any free kicks at club level? 

Who do you think would take a pen if we got one in a game?

I've asked both those questions but received no answer. My guess is Tierney will take a pen. but just a hunch. Pity we can't do what they do in American football and bring on Turnbull just for the free kicks.

34 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Have we got anyone who’s likely to start games who’s ever scored any free kicks at club level? 

Who do you think would take a pen if we got one in a game?

Free kick? It's a problem. I've never seen McTominay take free kicks for Manchester United. 

I don't know. 

Penalties? We've scored 10 out of 10 in penalty shootouts, so I don't think we have a problem in that department. ;)

I'd say: 1st Dykes (scored a few for QPR and then McGinn. 

Of the 10 out of 10 pens we scored in the shootouts:

5 of them were scored by players aren’t in the squad. McTominay and McGregor are the only players who scored 2. Tierney didn’t take one against Serbia (he was missing against Israel). McGinn scored against Israel but had been subbed against Serbia. 

So based on that, McTominay or McGregor?

26 minutes ago, fringo said:

If he's playing Christie is decent at free kicks (and probably pens?).

I think Robertson could ping in a decent free kick too.

Christie scored a couple of pens for us in the last year.

Only reason Dykes didn’t take a penalty in the shootout was because he was already subbed.

Don’t think we need to worry on penalties. 

Free kicks are a different matter. Seems to be Robertson and McTominay who are lining up to take them at the moment. Hopefully they’ve been practicing!

Well off topic, but I lost my job in January due to Covid market conditions, well today I was offered a new job and I'll start on Monday. I'm going to have to avoid the internet on Monday, I'll tape the game to watch it in the evening. 

43 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Of the 10 out of 10 pens we scored in the shootouts:

5 of them were scored by players aren’t in the squad. McTominay and McGregor are the only players who scored 2. Tierney didn’t take one against Serbia (he was missing against Israel). McGinn scored against Israel but had been subbed against Serbia. 

So based on that, McTominay or McGregor?

McTominay also scored a cracking penalty in the Europa League final so I'd go for him. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Free kick? It's a problem. I've never seen McTominay take free kicks for Manchester United. 

I don't know. 

Penalties? We've scored 10 out of 10 in penalty shootouts, so I don't think we have a problem in that department. ;)

I'd say: 1st Dykes (scored a few for QPR and then McGinn. 

Well done; forgot about him!

13 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Well off topic, but I lost my job in January due to Covid market conditions, well today I was offered a new job and I'll start on Monday. I'm going to have to avoid the internet on Monday, I'll tape the game to watch it in the evening. 

Well done mate. I can feel your dilemma.

43 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Congratulations, would it be getting off to a bad start if you pulled a sickie?

Edited by breeks_mctavish

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Congrats. Are you old enough to remember The Likely Lads🤨

2 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

In the shootout. 

His penalty in Belgrade was also really good. He obviously can hit a very good penalty, even though he is behind a few players at Man Utd. 

Sorry, was absolutely sure he had taken one that night but he didn't 🙄

10 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Ha! They did indeed. An insurmountable match winning 3-0 lead thrown away in minutes at the end with the help of the most clueless ref going who got so many things wrong. Definitely a masterclass in Scottish failure. 

Hope for once we actually can change history...