Billy Gilmour - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

9 hours ago, fringo said:

The reaction is great to see and he's potentially such an exciting player to have in the squad and hopefully earning 50-100 caos in coming years.

The boy is set for life, financially. He's training at world class facilities, along with world class players, playing under a world class manager.. but I bet that moment is the biggest moment in his young career.

His potential is absolutely massive. Already I'd say that he's the most comfortable Chelsea midfielder on the ball, as well as the best passer, which is insane since he's only 19.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt he was surprised. He’d likely have known he was getting called up. 

Correct. Declan Gallagher mentioned he was text by the admin team on tuesday that he was in the squad. 

On 5/19/2021 at 10:15 PM, thesaint said:

Going by his reaction when he saw his name appearing on the tv screen,i don't think so.The look on his face wasn't the look of somebody who already knew he was going.If he did already know,he should be up for an oscar next time round.

And this years oscar goes to .....Billy Gilmour.

I'm not expecting to see Billy feature against the Netherlands, he has a small matter of the Champions League final on Saturday with the game on the Wednesday. They will likely use him against Luxembourg. 

5 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I'm not expecting to see Billy feature against the Netherlands, he has a small matter of the Champions League final on Saturday with the game on the Wednesday. They will likely use him against Luxembourg. 

I’m not convinced he’ll see any game time in the champions league final although I hope he does (as long as he doesn’t get injured). 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not convinced he’ll see any game time in the champions league final although I hope he does (as long as he doesn’t get injured). 

Agreed, I don't think he will feature at all. 

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’ll be a sub, so anything can happen. 

You’d hope so but it’s not guaranteed. He wasn’t on the bench for Chelsea’s last match. You can probably name more subs for CL final right enough. 

European Cup winner.

The defensive force of Chelsea beat the attacking might of Manchester City. I hope Steve Clarke and the Scotland players take something from that.

They also play 3-4-1-2, too.

Kante was the difference. Guardiola dropped Rodri and Fernandiho, which essentially was the decision that lost them the lost.

Which goes to show how important it Is to have a defensive dynamic in the double-pivot. At least one. McGinn isn't an anchorman, McGregor isn't, Fleck isn't, nor is McTominay. Maybe Gilmour can be. 

The English are the biggest self publicists in world football. Yes, Foden has potential and might turn into something special, but all he is right now is potential. He barely got a kick.

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

European Cup winner.

Kante was the difference. Guardiola dropped Rodri and Fernandiho, which essentially was the decision that lost them the lost.

And to think that some on here were saying earlier on in the season that Gilmour should've been playing ahead of Kante, just shows you how clueless people can be.  

Different types of players, even though they play in similar positions, hopefully Gilmour can be a long term replacement for Kante at Chelsea in terms of his importance to the team and can cement himself in the heart of the Scotland midfield.  I suspect that will be sooner rather than later in both cases.

"Yes, Foden has potential and might turn into something special, but all he is right now is potential. He barely got a kick"

But somehow Gilmour who has played far far less for Chelsea this season, than Foden for Man City, is already Chelsea's best midfielder on the ball?

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

European Cup winner.

The defensive force of Chelsea beat the attacking might of Manchester City. I hope Steve Clarke and the Scotland players take something from that.

Which goes to show how important it Is to have a defensive dynamic in the double-pivot. At least one. McGinn isn't an anchorman, McGregor isn't, Fleck isn't, nor is McTominay. Maybe Gilmour can be. 

The English are the biggest self publicists in world football. Yes, Foden has potential and might turn into something special, but all he is right now is potential. He barely got a kick.

If Foden is just potential, what is Gilmour?

17 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

European Cup winner.

Anyone who’s watched City this season will know Foden is one of their key players and one of the first names on the teamsheet.

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If Foden is just potential, what is Gilmour?

Potential.

Foden has players like Aguero and Fernandinho, Rodri, Mahrez, Jesus, De Bruyne, Silva x 2, Gundogen, etc, around him. He won't have that with England.

He's being painted as the most natural England player since Gascoigne. Yeah, well, let's sit back and see. 

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Potential.

Foden has players like Aguero and Fernandinho, Rodri, Mahrez, Jesus, De Bruyne, Silva x 2, Gundogen, etc, around him. He won't have that with England.

He's being painted as the most natural England player since Gascoigne. Yeah, well, let's sit back and see. 

To be fair, some of the comments on here about Gilmour are just as hyperbolic and Foden has played about 100 more games. 

20 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

To be fair, some of the comments on here about Gilmour are just as hyperbolic and Foden has played about 100 more games. 

Very true.

Don't get me wrong, Foden is a very good player, but I smell another case of another English player being hyped up the English media, only to bo torn down.

Foden is lucky, he seems to have a really great temperament. The way that he consoled Son after the league cup final was nice. Plus he has a great manager. Gascoigne has neither of these.

As for Gilmour, he might only be 19 but he's the best passer in the Chelsea squad. That in itself is scary.

21 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Very true.

Don't get me wrong, Foden is a very good player, but I smell another case of another English player being hyped up the English media, only to bo torn down.

Foden is lucky, he seems to have a really great temperament. The way that he consoled Son after the league cup final was nice. Plus he has a great manager. Gascoigne has neither of these.

As for Gilmour, he might only be 19 but he's the best passer in the Chelsea squad. That in itself is scary.

Best passer? Not 100% sure that’s true however he is a special player. Fabulous awareness of space and manipulates the ball brilliantly.

2 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Best passer? Not 100% sure that’s true however he is a special player. Fabulous awareness of space and manipulates the ball brilliantly.

There's no doubt that Jorginho and Kovacic are top players, and Kante is world class, but neither of them have a great range of pass. That's actually Gilmour's saving grace, he can do anything with the ball. Kinda like a Pirlo or a Scholes.

His awareness of space, intelligence and speed of thought is incredible. And the fact that he's still a teenager, his potential is frightening.

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

There's no doubt that Jorginho and Kovacic are top players, and Kante is world class, but neither of them have a great range of pass. That's actually Gilmour's saving grace, he can do anything with the ball. Kinda like a Pirlo or a Scholes.

His awareness of space, intelligence and speed of thought is incredible. And the fact that he's still a teenager, his potential is frightening.

He’s an excellent passer and I’m sure he’ll keep improving at it as well. Hes every bit as good at it as Jorginho that’s for sure. 

He’s not even remotely close to the Scholes and Pirlo level at the moment although very few players were / are.

2 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

He’s an excellent passer and I’m sure he’ll keep improving at it as well. Hes every bit as good at it as Jorginho that’s for sure. 

He’s not even remotely close to the Scholes and Pirlo level at the moment although very few players were / are.

He is, and this is Jorginho at the peak of his career.

Agreed, but who knows how good he'll become. I don't remember Pirlo at 19 but I do remember Scholes at 19. There is similarities. I doubt Gilmour has the demonic tackling in him, though.

I know that most people here are doubting whether Gilmour will get minutes at the Euros, but I think, a couple of training sessions and Steve Clarke will realise that he's the best midfielder in the squad. Fingers crossed.

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He is, and this is Jorginho at the peak of his career.

Agreed, but who knows how good he'll become. I don't remember Pirlo at 19 but I do remember Scholes at 19. There is similarities. I doubt Gilmour has the demonic tackling in him, though.

I know that most people here are doubting whether Gilmour will get minutes at the Euros, but I think, a couple of training sessions and Steve Clarke will realise that he's the best midfielder in the squad. Fingers crossed.

I’m not doubting that at all. In fact I’m hoping he starts games.