Billy Gilmour - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/9/2021 at 8:47 AM, ElChris04 said:

Really impressive game from billy to go out and play one of the best teams in the world the way he did keeping everything tidy and composed. 

He’s blessed with that natural technical ability that will shape him into a genuine quality player.

EPL is overated Sky fanboy league....can he do it on a hot day in July against Barcelona?

Im worried about Gilmour at Chelsea.

I understood when Tuchel had him as 4th choice CM as the 3 others are all seasoned internationalists. 

Started to worry when Tuchel was putting 2 left backs on the bench at the expense of Gilmour. 

Got more worried when 2 of the 4 CMs were out and Tuchel dropped Mount back a position into CM rather than start Gilmour.

Now he is the one to get hooked even though his playing partner cost the goal and wasnt playing as well.

Make no mistake, Gilmour hasnt been in the starting line up because Tuchel suddenly thought he would give him a chance. Tuchel was resting players for the Champions League and FA cup final.

Gilmour is now at a level where his performances require regular starts. He needs to be telling Chelsea that he either gets a fair crack next season, goes on loan or gets a transfer.

I believe he has the potential to be better than Foden but needs handled properly. Something Pep done pefectly but something I cant see Tuchel doing at Chelsea when he will have millions at his disposal to go and buy.

40 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I understood when Tuchel had him as 4th choice CM as the 3 others are all seasoned internationalists. 

Started to worry when Tuchel was putting 2 left backs on the bench at the expense of Gilmour. 

Got more worried when 2 of the 4 CMs were out and Tuchel dropped Mount back a position into CM rather than start Gilmour.

Now he is the one to get hooked even though his playing partner cost the goal and wasnt playing as well.

Make no mistake, Gilmour hasnt been in the starting line up because Tuchel suddenly thought he would give him a chance. Tuchel was resting players for the Champions League and FA cup final.

Gilmour is now at a level where his performances require regular starts. He needs to be telling Chelsea that he either gets a fair crack next season, goes on loan or gets a transfer.

I believe he has the potential to be better than Foden but needs handled properly. Something Pep done pefectly but something I cant see Tuchel doing at Chelsea when he will have millions at his disposal to go and buy.

Interview with Tuchel here - not exactly a glowing endorsement (3 minutes) - was a bit underwhelmed by his tactical genius plan of moving Mount back because he's better at bunting it from 20 yards rather taking off one of the back 3 given Arsenal spent most of the game in their own half:

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/thomas-tuchel-kepa-billy-gilmour-20585280

If he remains fourth choice at the start of next season then he should get some games but can see Tuchel spunking loads of wedge in the summer (presuming they make the Champions League).

Be interesting to see what happened if Gilmour has a couple of good games at the Euros though as can imagine there would be a few decent clubs would fancy him.    

46 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I agree with this. Tuchel says the right things but his actions say something different. Happy to be proved wrong when he gets the nod in either final 🤣

48 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I’m concerned as well although Foden found games hard to come by at Gilmour’s age and was in and out. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Foden is only a year older but has played about 100 games more. 

Man City and their manager seem happy to give foden a chance.

Chelsea is a different animal, they have a revolving door with managers coming and going within 18 months to two years, nowhere near enough time to properly nurture young players.

The young players coming through at Chelsea were forced on them because of a transfer ban.

Tuchel will spend in the summer to ensure the teams continued progress and his job safety.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Man City and their manager seem happy to give foden a chance.

Chelsea is a different animal, they have a revolving door with managers coming and going within 18 months to two years, nowhere near enough time to properly nurture young players.

The young players coming through at Chelsea were forced on them because of a transfer ban.

Tuchel will spend in the summer to ensure the teams continued progress and his job safety.

Definitely, this is Foden’s 4th season and he’s progressively played more as you’d expect from a manger who believes in him. 

Billy isn’t daft, he’s still only 19 and proved himself more than capable in the EPL, he’ll hopefully get a loan to get more games and evaluate from there. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

From Tuchel's point of view he should selfishly keep Gilmour at Chelsea next year. Having that calibre of player as a back up is invaluable. Especially since they basically got him for free. But, as you say, they'll probably spend £70m on a CM in the summer.

If I were Gilmour, I'd push for a loan move. You'd think he'd be starting every week for most teams outside top 6. Having someone of his level for the WC qualifiers could be the difference between qualifying and not.

Tuchel is a world class manager. He's managed to get to two finals and he's gotten Chelsea up to 4th from 9th in 5 months.

Not only that, they're solid and they're playing well.

If he didn't fancy Gilmour, he'd be away on loan. Tuchel clearly rates him.

It was clear Pep had a long term plan for Foden. I dont blame Tuchel as Chelsea isnt a long term club but its clear there is no plan regarding Gilmour.

I think Jorginho will leave in the summer but be replaced by a certain starter. 

Ive no issue with Gilmour starting down the pecking order but if he performs better than others then je shouldnt be the one to be subbed / left out just because he is young.

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Foden is only a year older but has played about 100 games more. 

Yes, Foden played 23 and 25 league games in the last 2 seasons it seems. Billy has played 11 this season and is a year and a bit younger. He probably plays in an area of the pitch which has more responsibility and therefore is seen as more of a risk. He will continue to fill out physically in the next couple of years and that will have an influence on his manager. 

I think he should be pushing for a loan as I think 20 starts is what he might expect next season and that wouldn’t be ideal.

A year in Spain playing for a top 4 side would be good. 

I don’t have any doubts he’ll become a world class player but putting obstacles in his way is frustrating. 

Edited by er yir macaroon