Billy Gilmour - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

Guest ElChris04

Really impressive game from billy to go out and play one of the best teams in the world the way he did keeping everything tidy and composed. 

He’s blessed with that natural technical ability that will shape him into a genuine quality player.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I think his inclusion is set in stone now and the same goes for David Turnbull. Remember that Ryan Jack and (it would now seem certain) that Kenny McLean are ruled out through injury PLUS there are larger squads to be selected. NO BRAINER.

The next argument is whether they start. Gilmour is a massive yes from me, turnbull isn't. 

A midfield three of mctominay, mcginn and gilmour is fucking beautiful 

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The next argument is whether they start. Gilmour is a massive yes from me, turnbull isn't. 

A midfield three of mctominay, mcginn and gilmour is fucking beautiful 

Yes to that midfield 3!!

Gauld on the bench too for a creative spark. 

Gilmour should be in. A few of the midfielders since Autumn have gone  a bit stale, playing for a struggling side or a re just hopelessly out of form.

McGregor, Christie ( accept they will be in the squad ) Fleck, Mclean could be out injured, Jack is already out. with the increase numbers in the squad it makes sense to include them and see how they ( Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld ) do in the warm ups and in squad build ups.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Gilmour should be in. A few of the midfielders since Autumn have gone  a bit stale, playing for a struggling side or a re just hopelessly out of form.

McGregor, Christie ( accept they will be in the squad ) Fleck, Mclean could be out injured, Jack is already out. with the increase numbers in the squad it makes sense to include them and see how they ( Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld ) do in the warm ups and in squad build ups.

I dream of a future where we play our best players. 

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Sven had that philosophy with England and played Paul Scholes on left midfield. 

The dynamic of a team is the most important thing, and sometimes that means not including the best players.

I read an article by Phillip Lahm said that, if he could, Pep Guardiola would play with 11 Iniestas, but he knows that he can't, because there has to be a blend.*

*And because there's only one Inesta. And he's retired. 

Edited by Taylor1996

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Agree in principle and it’s hard to argue that Gilmour won’t become better than McGregor (if he isn’t already).

for me it’s hard to see Clarke dropping McGregor who has played regularly for an uncapped 19 year old right before a major tournament.

McTominay playing RCB might take that issue away though.

4 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Agree in principle and it’s hard to argue that Gilmour won’t become better than McGregor (if he isn’t already).

for me it’s hard to see Clarke dropping McGregor who has played regularly for an uncapped 19 year old right before a major tournament.

McTominay playing RCB might take that issue away though.

I just look forward to us playing the best players available for each position and not worrying about upsetting old pros etc. Time to adopt the Wales model. 

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I just look forward to us playing the best players available for each position and not worrying about upsetting old pros etc. Time to adopt the Wales model. 

There’s got to be a balance though, young players may have more potential but that doesn’t necessarily make them better in the present.

I’m all for Gilmour playing and I think there’s a pretty strong argument for Patterson as well but not sure who else falls into this bracket?

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Absolutely this. 

Also favouring young players over older players. 

It’s been mentioned a lot here but how many caps would Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull & Gauld have between them if they were Irish, Welsh or Norn Irish

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Absolutely this. 

Also favouring young players over older players. 

It’s been mentioned a lot here but how many caps would Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull & Gauld have between them if they were Irish, Welsh or Norn Irish

Before this season none of these players have deserved a call up aside from perhaps Gilmour.

All of us like young players to play but someone with high potential does not make them better in the present. 

We don’t need to be in a place where we are giving any young player with potential a game, our experienced players are better than that now.

Even someone as talented as Gilmour at 18/19 would still be lacking in areas an experienced player won’t be.

There needs to be a balance with young players. Call them up too early and then you might need to drop them again when form dips or they dont progress as planned. Meanwhile you have effectively retired the older player so unlikely they would come back in (ie If Paterson came in instead of Palmer, in a years time do you see Palmer being happy to come back into the squad to play back up again). There is also the issue that England have where some young players seem to lose abit of hunger when called up very early.

There are exceptions though. For me these are 1) When its obvious that the young player is going to be a future Scotland player, not just potential but absolute stick on. Gilmour falls into this category, nobody else at present does. 2) When the player is already better than the player he is replacing (Patterson falls into this category as backup to Odonnell) 3) When there is no risk in including them in the squad as they are unlikely to play but they can gain good experience (3rd choice GK, Back up left back, as its likely Tierney would shift over if Robertson got injured.

For me, Gauld and Turnbull arent obviously better than the players in attacking mid position. Those being McGinn, Christie and Armstrong so I dont think they "must" be included.

No offense intended here but I think many Scotland fans are fickle, quick to call guys up and quick to drop others. Example Turnbull hasn't played well in Old Firm games so he is out, Gilmore plays for Chelsea so he's in. Both would be in my 26 squad a long with Gauld. 

Get him in. He is old enough, he is good enough, he is Scottish, what's the fuckin issue. Time to stop worrying about age. That has been a problem with Scotland for years. 

Fuck it for once. Give Billy Gilmour the ball and let him go..... What is the worst that can happen? Fuck the favorite system. I want to win !!!!!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/9/2021 at 6:53 AM, killiefaetheferry said:

You'd think so, eh?

The bit where it looked like he was about to get sacked but just knocked the ball into 20 yards of space out of nowhere was like something Xavi/Iniesta could do - pretty much the catalyst for the offside goal.  

What impressed me too was he gave Kante a bollocking for not passing to him - got to have something about you to do that!! 

50 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The bit where it looked like he was about to get sacked but just knocked the ball into 20 yards of space out of nowhere was like something Xavi/Iniesta could do - pretty much the catalyst for the offside goal.  

What impressed me too was he gave Kante a bollocking for not passing to him - got to have something about you to do that!! 

I think there may have been a wee shuffle of his feet before he did that, either way it was sensational.