Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

4 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It's not creating havoc, its giving the manager decisions to make, something we havent had for years...its a great position to be in.

Going back to the right back thing...both Palmer and SOD are pretty poor by international standards, I'm not having it at all that someone like Tierney or Jack couldn't adequately cover that position if we only took one of our right backs. 

If it's a 23man squad I'd go;

Marshall

Gordon

And a younger back up, like McRorie

ODonnell

Hickey

Tierney

Robertson 

Cooper

Gallagher

McKenna

Hanley

Gilmour

McGinn

Mctominay 

Christie

McGregor

Jack

Forrest

Fraser

Burke

Dykes

Griffiths

McBurnie

3 keepers

4 full backs

4 centre backs

6 central midfielders 

3 wide players/supporting striker

3 strikers.

A young keeper as there is no point taking McLaughlin along with the other two old guys, and it would be good experience for Kelly or McCrorie

Hickey, Tierney, Jack...all potentially capable of covering should anything happen to ODonnell because he really is our weakest link anyway.

4 centre backs maybe isn't enough when you play a 3 at the back, but Mctominay and Tierney are also options there and actually probable starters there.

Midfield 6 and forward 6 is pretty straightforward 

Tbh I like that squad but having no Armstrong, fleck or mclean. That's never going to happen. Armstrong and mclean are almost guaranteed to be in the squad. 

I think it's also unlikely Clarke doesn't pick Palmer. 

Its all very well picking a squad you want to see but reality is Clarke won't leave out some of the guys you have. 

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Armstrong would be in for me, maybe remove a centre half as McTominay can also play there.  Gauld for Burke or McBurnie depending on form.

Fair comment on Armstrong, but I'd much prefer Mctominay in midfield...

...not convinced on Gauld as yet either, but plenty time to go

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbh I like that squad but having no Armstrong, fleck or mclean. That's never going to happen. Armstrong and mclean are almost guaranteed to be in the squad. 

I think it's also unlikely Clarke doesn't pick Palmer. 

Its all very well picking a squad you want to see but reality is Clarke won't leave out some of the guys you have. 

Yeah, must admit I forgot about Armstrong...the thing is Clarke needs to leave people out and that squad I've picked I think offers strength, depth and flexibility.

With a 23 man squad you can only have 2 players for each outfield position.

Its therefore neccesary to include players that can play in a couple of positions. For example Robertson is our left wing back, Tierney is a CB and can cover left wing back. No chance we should be taking another dedicated left wing back like Taylor.

We should have somebody like Hickey who can cover both wing back positions but not be 1st choice for either. Ryan Jack would the be 3rd choice emergency right wing back.  Likewise McTomminay will be included as a CB but can obviously play CM.

So guys like McLean will have no place in a 23 man squad as he can only play in 1 position and isnt 1st or 2nd choice in that position. 

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It's not creating havoc, its giving the manager decisions to make, something we havent had for years...its a great position to be in.

Going back to the right back thing...both Palmer and SOD are pretty poor by international standards, I'm not having it at all that someone like Tierney or Jack couldn't adequately cover that position if we only took one of our right backs. 

Marshall

Gordon

ODonnell

Hickey

Tierney

Robertson 

Cooper

Gallagher

McKenna

Hanley

Gilmour

McGinn

Mctominay 

Christie

McGregor

Jack

Forrest

Fraser

Burke

Dykes

Griffiths

McBurnie

3 keepers

4 full backs

4 centre backs

6 central midfielders 

3 strikers.

A young keeper as there is no point taking McLaughlin along with the other two old guys, and it would be good experience for Kelly or McCrorie

Hickey, Tierney, Jack...all potentially capable of covering should anything happen to ODonnell because he really is our weakest link anyway.

4 centre backs maybe isn't enough when you play a 3 at the back, but Mctominay and Tierney are also options there and actually probable starters there.

I was about to post saying i don't need to bother posting my squad as I'll happily assist you coaching this one 😁 

Then i glanced again & realised you've left Armstrong out, i guess that was oversight on your part? As apart from that you've chosen a very well balanced squad.

13 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I was about to post saying i don't need to bother posting my squad as I'll happily assist you coaching this one 😁 

Then i glanced again & realised you've left Armstrong out, i guess that was oversight on your part? As apart from that you've chosen a very well balanced squad.

Yeah forgot about Armstrong, problem is who drops out?

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

With a 23 man squad you can only have 2 players for each outfield position.

Its therefore neccesary to include players that can play in a couple of positions. For example Robertson is our left wing back, Tierney is a CB and can cover left wing back. No chance we should be taking another dedicated left wing back like Taylor.

We should have somebody like Hickey who can cover both wing back positions but not be 1st choice for either. Ryan Jack would the be 3rd choice emergency right wing back.  Likewise McTomminay will be included as a CB but can obviously play CM.

So guys like McLean will have no place in a 23 man squad as he can only play in 1 position and isnt 1st or 2nd choice in that position. 

So you would leave out Palmer or o donnell for Hickey? 

Do you think Clarke will leave out mclean assuming he's playing for Norwich regularly?

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So you would leave out Palmer or o donnell for Hickey? 

Do you think Clarke will leave out mclean assuming he's playing for Norwich regularly?

I'd imagine at least one of them might have to drop out anyway to accomodate a 23 man squad. 

This is going to be by far the most competitive squad for places we've ever had. Even compared to last month, we might have Gilmour, Gauld, Morgan, Hendry and Hickey all forcing their way into the reckoning. Plus the likes of Forrest and Hanley back from long term injuries. 

I hope Clarke has many sleepless nights torturing himself with the selection.

As others have said, there is no room for sentiment. So if Hickey is genuinely the best player in that position, he should be on the plane/bus.

This is brilliant to read. Competition is only getting more intense and players like Paterson and McLean will find it increasingly difficult to get in.

Midfield is the most interesting. Take your pick from:

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, Forrest, Christie, Armstrong, Fleck, McLean, Fraser and Gauld (plus McTominay but I'm classing him as a defender).

You'd have to assume Gilmour will be certain pick by the time the next squad is assembled.

28 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

This is brilliant to read. Competition is only getting more intense and players like Paterson and McLean will find it increasingly difficult to get in.

Midfield is the most interesting. Take your pick from:

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, Forrest, Christie, Armstrong, Fleck, McLean, Fraser and Gauld (plus McTominay but I'm classing him as a defender).

You'd have to assume Gilmour will be certain pick by the time the next squad is assembled.

Funnily enough, and although I've enjoyed seeing Mctominay at the back due to his passing ability and composure, I would absolutely love to see a midfield 3 of Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay against England.

To me, that midfield competes with anything that they can put out

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Yeah forgot about Armstrong, problem is who drops out?

It's a real tough one but think it would have to be a defender. Tierney is obviously undroppable, Gallagher is also a deserving cert. I would also include Hanley, he is fully fit & playing well lately, he is also right footed which gives the option of using McTominay elsewhere . So it's a toss up between our 2 left footed current 2nd choice central defenders. I read fans forums from time to time & unless his form has dipped the last couple of weeks Mckenna has been quite impressive since joining Forest.  Even though Leeds are a far superior side playing at a higher level for me Cooper Club captain or not has yet to prove himself capable of holding his own at epl level to stay in the squad. 

So after much deliberation if the euros where this month it's your squad minus Cooper for Armstrong.  

The good news is we've 6 months + to chat & no doubt change our minds numerous times 😁

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

It's a real tough one but think it would have to be a defender. Tierney is obviously undroppable, Gallagher is also a deserving cert. I would also include Hanley, he is fully fit & playing well lately, he is also right footed which gives the option of using McTominay elsewhere . So it's a toss up between our 2 left footed current 2nd choice central defenders. I read fans forums from time to time & unless his form has dipped the last couple of weeks Mckenna has been quite impressive since joining Forest.  Even though Leeds are a far superior side playing at a higher level for me Cooper Club captain or not has yet to prove himself capable of holding his own at epl level to stay in the squad. 

So after much deliberation if the euros where this month it's your squad minus Cooper for Armstrong.  

The good news is we've 6 months + to chat & no doubt change our minds numerous times 😁

Does anyone really think we’re not gonna suffer two or three heartbreaking injuries in the weeks and months before the finals? It’ll happen. Paterson will still be in the squad as we scramble for players come June. 🤫

6 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Re Cooper - in the game he played against Slovakia he made a brilliant tackle in the penalty area reminiscent of Tam Forsyth against Channon which nobody seems to mention and has been ever-present for Leeds.

5 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Does anyone really think we’re not gonna suffer two or three heartbreaking injuries in the weeks and months before the finals? It’ll happen. Paterson will still be in the squad as we scramble for players come June. 🤫

Well it had better not be to Dykes is all I can say.

6 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Marshall

Gordon

ODonnell

Hickey

Tierney

Robertson 

Cooper

Gallagher

McKenna

Hanley

Gilmour

McGinn

Mctominay 

Christie

McGregor

Jack

Forrest

Fraser

Burke

Dykes

Griffiths

McBurnie

3 keepers

4 full backs

4 centre backs

6 central midfielders 

3 strikers.

You're not far off there but I now would be tempted to replace Burke with Gauld.

10 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Clarke shows loyalty to his squads so reckon others will still have some way to go to dislodge those that got us into the Euros. McLean looks like he may now be back in January. 

McLean wasn’t even playing for Norwich before the injury though

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McLean wasn’t even playing for Norwich before the injury though

If Gilmour carries on getting games and playing like he is tonight it's a very very easy straight swap.

They pretty well do the same job but Gilmour has already shown he can do it at a far higher level.

Big fan of Kenny McLean and he's a very decent player but it looks like we have found better.