Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 76 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Bit of an over the top reaction. 

He can play for us and Clarke has said the door is open for him. 

Born in Leicester and represented England U-20'S and rejected Scotland three times. Until he commits to us and that is never happening he has as much right to being mentioned here as Lionel Messi.

52 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Bit of an over the top reaction. 

He can play for us and Clarke has said the door is open for him. 

Would he offer more than McBurnie Shankland ?? 
If Clarke has said the door is open, then come on in. 

If he scores goals for Scotland and is eligible (which he is I thought) then fine by me 

Just take a look at at Declan Rice for Engerland, did he not play at every level for Ireland and even play for the Ireland big team ?? 

4 hours ago, broraboy said:

Would he offer more than McBurnie Shankland ?? 
If Clarke has said the door is open, then come on in. 

If he scores goals for Scotland and is eligible (which he is I thought) then fine by me 

Just take a look at at Declan Rice for Engerland, did he not play at every level for Ireland and even play for the Ireland big team ?? 

From what I've saw  he is strong, quick, quite skilful, works hard & seems technically sound. Our forwards all have some attributes but none of them come close to being as gifted a all round player as Adams. 

His is arguably the ideal fit our 1 up front system but as we all know he hasn't committed to playing internationally to anyone so unless that changes in our favour there's not a lot of point discussing him. 

10 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

But that’s his job? You don’t want a player asked to do his role to be giving the ball away in his half or in the attacking half with no covering midfielders behind. 

I was responding to a comment where he was described as a player who gave the ball away too often. 

He needs to let guys like McGinn and Christie to try riskier passes. And is obviously asked by his manager to keep it relatively simple for both Scotland and Celtic. 

I don’t think he’s definitely in our best first 11 at the moment but he’s neither a guy that gives the ball away too often or a guy who keeps it too simple. 

I thought his best game for us was against Serbia where he was perfectly balanced offensively and defensively. He’s not been brilliant for Celtic but neither has their whole squad. 

Yeah, I wasn't agreeing with the other person. McGregor definitely isn't known for giving the ball away. No more than anyone else anyway.

Even if he was asked to literally make 30 yard passes and keep the ball, is that really a good allocation of resources? Armstrong, Jack, McTominay and McGinn could all do that if they were asked. As could Gauld, Gilmour, McLean, Turnbull etc etc. But with just about all of them, they would offer more than just ball retention and mid-range passing.

I know it sounds like I'm sh*tting on McGregor. I'm not. I actually think he is a very competent player, that is well worthy of a squad place. And if he played a bit more adventurously, he might be an asset in the first team.

However, as it stands, Jack, McTominay, McGinn and Armstrong can all fulfill his role better than he can, in my opinion.

37 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Forrest back on the Celtic bench. Would really need to start playing ASAP to be in contention for the euros. 

His best chance is to be considered for the right wing back role. 

He’s gonna struggle to break into the squad otherwise. 

36 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Heartbreaking news for some Scotland 'fans' in that Scotland international Ryan Fraser starts for Newcastle today.

The more game time he gets the bettwr. If he is fully fit and form he starts. 

Bain in goals and looking like a shut out. If Marshall is not fit can see him in the squad as only Gordon ( Scottish Championship and about 37 ) and McCrorie are in and about the squad.

Personally if I was Clarke I would call McGregor and see if he would be available in the short term, don't ask, don't get and all that. But we need an experienced goalie for the Austria match. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Shankland looks really lively vs Celtic, some great touches and getting a lot of praise.

How the hell has McNulty got caps he looks so out of shape and slow. 

I thought Shankland was quite poor and looked nervous on the ball.

I was far more impressed by Appere. He came on and looked very good. Fast, strong, good in the air and skilful. I'm surprised he doesn't start more for Dundee United. He's still only 21 so still a lot of development there.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:33 AM, Third Lanark said:

Dunno why people are laughing - that is a sound suggestion. McGregor just has this habit of giving the ball away; in our system that is critical.

(People are laughing because I have someone following me around and emoji bombing every one my posts... aka, a stalker. I don't even notice it anymore. lol)

Yeah. McTominay would be a massive upgrade. 

I was never a fan of McGregor, but in a couple of Scotland matches he did let the  shackles off and dribble forward and attack. It surprised me.

I'm not sure who first played him in a double-pivot, might've been Strachan, but he has a lot to answer for. It's akin to OGS  playing McTominay there (as a straight anchor). But at least OGS has realized that McTominay offers more if you give him freedom. 

22 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Bain in goals and looking like a shut out. If Marshall is not fit can see him in the squad as only Gordon ( Scottish Championship and about 37 ) and McCrorie are in and about the squad.

Personally if I was Clarke I would call McGregor and see if he would be available in the short term, don't ask, don't get and all that. But we need an experienced goalie for the Austria match. 

I am a Rangers fan but unless we are missing 3/4 keepers I wouldn't call on McGregor. He made his choice and it wouldn't really be fair on now our other keepers who turned up every squad.

I'd say Jon McLaughlin is a good keeper aswell. He will probably be number 1 in the league for the rest of the season at Rangers. He'll probably be in the squad and be Gordon's number 2 (if Marshall isn't fit).

Bain for me is a poor keeper and is only first choice at Celtic because Barkas is a dreadful keeper. He will be number 2/3 or gone in the summer.

After that you have Zander Clark, Liam Kelly and the Portsmouth keeper. Just squad options really.

On McCrorie he is nowhere near the level required atm. He's had a poor season and it seems to have affected him. FYI I'm not writing him off, McGregor was in a similar position at McCrorie's age. Hopefully he can kick on next season and get a decent loan and get some confidence.

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I thought Shankland was quite poor and looked nervous on the ball.

I was far more impressed by Appere. He came on and looked very good. Fast, strong, good in the air and skilful. I'm surprised he doesn't start more for Dundee United. He's still only 21 so still a lot of development there.

Shankland played OK without seeing too much of the ball but agree re Appere and most United fans have been saying for weeks why he doesn’t get more minutes. Manager keeps persisting with McNulty who has been useless and especially Clark in midfield who is like a man down. Hopefully we see a lot more of Appere next season because he has a lot of attributes to be a very good player. Probably needs a bit more self belief. He was loaned out to a junior club the season before last and so maybe still not got the confidence he needs. He was very good in the Championship last season and big things were expected of him this season. 

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I am a Rangers fan but unless we are missing 3/4 keepers I wouldn't call on McGregor. He made his choice and it wouldn't really be fair on now our other keepers who turned up every squad.

I'd say Jon McLaughlin is a good keeper aswell. He will probably be number 1 in the league for the rest of the season at Rangers. He'll probably be in the squad and be Gordon's number 2 (if Marshall isn't fit).

Bain for me is a poor keeper and is only first choice at Celtic because Barkas is a dreadful keeper. He will be number 2/3 or gone in the summer.

After that you have Zander Clark, Liam Kelly and the Portsmouth keeper. Just squad options really.

On McCrorie he is nowhere near the level required atm. He's had a poor season and it seems to have affected him. FYI I'm not writing him off, McGregor was in a similar position at McCrorie's age. Hopefully he can kick on next season and get a decent loan and get some confidence.

Get what you are saying here BB but this could end up being THE problem position if Marshall is not fit. None of the option you listed fills me with confidence, McLaughlin might get some game time now the league is sewn up but he is certainly not first choice. Remember McGregor did help get us to the play offs so could be worth a call. Otherwise we have a 37 year old with injury history playing second tier football in Scotland as first choice.

9 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Get what you are saying here BB but this could end up being THE problem position if Marshall is not fit. None of the option you listed fills me with confidence, McLaughlin might get some game time now the league is sewn up but he is certainly not first choice. Remember McGregor did help get us to the play offs so could be worth a call. Otherwise we have a 37 year old with injury history playing second tier football in Scotland as first choice.

Tbf Craig Gordon probably deserves a major tournament after his years of dedication to the Scotland team. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf Craig Gordon probably deserves a major tournament after his years of dedication to the Scotland team. 

Agreed, but sentiment cannot be the main driving force here.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

31 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

McGregor is in a different league.  Our best keeper by miles. Shame he retired.

He is.

If Marshall got injured he should be asked back. 

Just now though Marshall, Kelly & McCrorie would be my 3.

McLaughlin hasn’t played enough this season & Gordon while a good goalie is playing at a much lower level so I’d leave those two out.

3 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Shankland played OK without seeing too much of the ball but agree re Appere and most United fans have been saying for weeks why he doesn’t get more minutes. Manager keeps persisting with McNulty who has been useless and especially Clark in midfield who is like a man down. Hopefully we see a lot more of Appere next season because he has a lot of attributes to be a very good player. Probably needs a bit more self belief. He was loaned out to a junior club the season before last and so maybe still not got the confidence he needs. He was very good in the Championship last season and big things were expected of him this season. 

I was really looking forward to seeing Appere this season and was disappointed he hadn't made any impact.  Maybe just needs another season although he's 22 this month 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He is.

If Marshall got injured he should be asked back. 

Just now though Marshall, Kelly & McCrorie would be my 3.

McLaughlin hasn’t played enough this season & Gordon while a good goalie is playing at a much lower level so I’d leave those two out.

Considering the quality of our league I would say it is quite possible that the Rangers second choice keeper is better than any other keeper in the league.  

I don't really think match fitness applies in the same way to keepers as it does to outfield players.