Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 81 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

6 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

I watched most of it, he put in a brilliant shift. Hold up play was excellent and was unlucky not to score, looking much more like his old self.

There's a lot of love for Dykes from QPR fans on twitter tonight too. Seems promising. 

Also interesting that he played up front as part of a pairing. I think Clarke might try Dykes and Adams together at some point. 

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

There's a lot of love for Dykes from QPR fans on twitter tonight too. Seems promising. 

Also interesting that he played up front as part of a pairing. I think Clarke might try Dykes and Adams together at some point. 

It crossed my mind, he linked well with Austin tonight, still think we play more to his strengths than QPR do but it’s good to see him on form.

18 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Elliot Anderson named in England’s u19 squad. Sod off. 

Replying to myself, I’m now thinking we should cap such players early and be up front about it. He could have come on against the Faroes and that’s the end of it. Have a dedicated spot in a squad for promising uncapped players and put the onus on the player to knock it back. The game has changed and the old ways don’t work for us. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Replying to myself, I’m now thinking we should cap such players early and be up front about it. He could have come on against the Faroes and that’s the end of it. Have a dedicated spot in a squad for promising uncapped players and put the onus on the player to knock it back. The game has changed and the old ways don’t work for us. 

What is it with the Scottish mentality? It's like a player has to have a certain amount of matches or a certain age to be picked. 

Look at Billy Gilmour. If he had even the most tenuous of links to Ireland or Wales, they would try their hand by naming him in their senior squad.

And yes, we have a few midfielders, but in terms of raw technical ability, Gilmour beats them all.

It's a shame about Anderson. He looks like a hybrid of Barkley and McTominay. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

What is it with the Scottish mentality? It's like a player has to have a certain amount of matches or a certain age to be picked. 

Look at Billy Gilmour. If he had even the most tenuous of links to Ireland or Wales, they would try their hand by naming him in their senior squad.

And yes, we have a few midfielders, but in terms of raw technical ability, Gilmour beats them all.

It's a shame about Anderson. He looks like a hybrid of Barkley and McTominay. 

It is time for a change of tactic.  A fair few players at a young age are clearly not that fussed who they play for. Get them in and capped and when they grow up they’ll appreciate the country they’ve picked. Now that Scotland are back, agents will be less inclined to put them off. 

31 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It is time for a change of tactic.  A fair few players at a young age are clearly not that fussed who they play for. Get them in and capped and when they grow up they’ll appreciate the country they’ve picked. Now that Scotland are back, agents will be less inclined to put them off. 

Agreed. 

I was thinking that our managers should be forced to include one or two promising kids in every squad, but a manager shouldn't have to be forced. They should look at the big picture.

Guest Scot1
21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Armstrong looks like he could play right wing back for us. 

I’d try him there against Austria, purely because they are playing their fringe players and others outside their first team squad. So you would imagine the Austrians will be unfamiliar with each other, I’d try to attack them early, stick a couple of goals in before they can settle into the game. Against the Faroes, he could play there too. But against Israel I’d be looking at a wing back who was better defensively, SOD would be my choice.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

We could have put him in our U21s then see how he reacted, as he would be much nearer the senior squad than England's. Still think there is a case for players to declare their choice as soon as they go professional.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We could have put him in our U21s then see how he reacted, as he would be much nearer the senior squad than England's. Still think there is a case for players to declare their choice as soon as they go professional.

It is getting a bit mercenary at times, these days.